Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development | Recover VB .frm's with binary file? Plz help

AuthorMessageTime
erase
Hi
I accidently deleted one of my VB projects -- all the .frm's were deleted & emptied from the recyclye bin. I noticed the binary files (.frx's) are still in the folder. I thought the binary files are only used for icons/images etc. I'm doubting it - but I was wondering if i could somehow recover the .frm using the binary file?
Thanks much!
-Erase
July 23, 2003, 2:54 AM
Spht
[quote author=erase link=board=17;threadid=2021;start=0#msg15714 date=1058928895]
Hi
I accidently deleted one of my VB projects -- all the .frm's were deleted & emptied from the recyclye bin. I noticed the binary files (.frx's) are still in the folder. I thought the binary files are only used for icons/images etc. I'm doubting it - but I was wondering if i could somehow recover the .frm using the binary file?
Thanks much!
-Erase
[/quote]

FRX only contains binary data which is used in your form at design time (such as the picture on the form which is set at design time will be stored in this file).

You can not recover your FRM structure and source from a single FRX bound to that form.
July 23, 2003, 4:50 AM
MesiaH
One time something similar happened to me, i was programming something, and the computer decided it wanted to restart, so i didnt save anything, but when i opened my project, it was right where i left off... im not sure if it creates a tmp file for workspace or what, but yeah, think of your .frm's as your code, and the .frx's as everything you see, once there gone, your form and code within the form is gone.
July 23, 2003, 5:51 AM
dRAgoN
Is there not an undo delete function, I thought there was a way to pull up and restore items that were deleted within like a certain time frame.
July 23, 2003, 8:20 AM
Grok
If you have reached a point in your programming where it is painful to lose source code, it is time to use a source control database, like Microsoft Visual SourceSafe, or some other product.

Using source control databases, you can roll back to any version you previously checked in, and keep track of your changes better.
July 23, 2003, 9:08 AM
Adron
And on the topic of source control databases, I hope all our members know that we have a CVS set up at vl.com? :P
July 23, 2003, 11:28 AM
DarkMinion
I know that, just have never used it :P
July 23, 2003, 2:02 PM
c0ol
[quote author=Grok link=board=17;threadid=2021;start=0#msg15734 date=1058951339]
If you have reached a point in your programming where it is painful to lose source code, it is time to use a source control database, like Microsoft Visual SourceSafe, or some other product.

Using source control databases, you can roll back to any version you previously checked in, and keep track of your changes better.
[/quote]
CVS ;)
July 23, 2003, 10:42 PM

Search