Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Programming | webshop

AuthorMessageTime
ioSys
Anyone here having experience in building webshops?

I am about to build my first one (part of the education) and wonder if you could give me advises for it. There are quite much thinking before making it. The webshop is not bound for a specific group and should be as flexible as possible so i can use it for all different groups after i have finished it.

The easiest thing if i have to choose an area for the webshop is to build it for datastuff, comps, monitors and such things. There are many examples for webonlinestores selling computer things and it would be easy to get tipīs from other sites + i already know a couple of companies i will be able to sell it to.

The 2 things i wonder about is
1: security
- how do i get good security?

2: Pricing
- What can i charge for an onlinestore, this is my biggest question. What is okey to charge for it?
- How do i charge? per hour?
The webshop is built in asp.net and SQL server

3: Paying
- Your experiences about paying with cards and paypal.

Thanks.
Hope someone have some experiences to share.
July 22, 2003, 7:14 PM
Xae
First thing you may wanna think about is What do you wanna sell ;p
July 22, 2003, 10:54 PM
ioSys
i know for sure i have customers wanting e-stores for selling computers and stuff to computers....but i want to build a general shop that i can use if some other customer is asking for a webshop....
July 22, 2003, 10:59 PM
j0k3r
Well probably want to make it so that they (the people you are selling to) can set up their own categories (+ subcategories?) and items, as well as specifications for those items (price, item number, specs(?), picture(?)).

2. - Since this is a project it is better to charge for the whole thing instead of hourly.
- Tell them (the customer) exactly what the program does and probably include a manual.

3. - Yeah I've used paypal before, what is it you want to know? You can charge in whatever currency you want... Ask any other questions.
July 22, 2003, 11:30 PM
St0rm.iD
You'll need an SSL cert.
July 23, 2003, 1:33 AM
Thing
SSL certs are a pain in the ass to purchase and install. I always recommend to pass the customer off to the processor for CC information collection. That reduces your liability.
July 23, 2003, 2:03 AM
ioSys
the security in this type of application is quite vital so I know how to do exactly to secure everything. Maybe the card-companies have all info i need to connect card-paying to my app in a secure way.

Plz tell me more about SSL. Whats your experiences about it.
I lookup SSL and learn about it tomorrow.
July 23, 2003, 8:09 PM
Grok
Go to http://www.thawte.com and read their tutorial on SSL.

Thawte is owned by Versign, where you can also go to read a tutorial on SSL and other methods of security.
July 23, 2003, 10:03 PM
Thing
Look here also:Building Secure ASP.NET Applications:
July 23, 2003, 11:43 PM
ioSys
Great links! I read them through!
July 24, 2003, 5:42 AM

Search