Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development | Argh! Frustrated!

AuthorMessageTime
Myndfyr
Hey folks...

[vL], I love your site. Fantastic... I can't wait to see the rest of the content when it gets posted. :-) I've only recently discovered your guys' site.

Anyway, I'm trying to get onto B.net, and I have about 3 or 4 dozen features I want to incorporate into a Bot, the biggest of which is integration into my website through a web service... but the problem is that I've only been programming in .NET. That's what I've learned on, and while I'm pretty darn good at writing in C# and Visual Basic, blasted if I look at some C code. It's like kryptonite to Superman.

I have a nice relational database, some plans for a really nice plugin API that is completely event-driven, etc., and most of all I was really impressed with EternalChat's clan support since Blizzard just released it (so I'd like to add that, too). But I can't figure out this packet stuff!

I mean, maybe if I could see a list of the algorithms, I could do it without looking at anybody's code. I mean, if I could see:

[quote]
Send over socket:
0x04
(DWORD) Product ID
0x0e
Close socket
[/quote]

I could probably do it. But who's willing to share _all_ of your algorithms with me, or whatnot? I mean, shoot, I'm looking over the BNLS protocol and then boom! I need to know about the Battle.net chat protocol as well. Argh!

Anyway, sorry to vent and rant here. I really appreciate the [vL] forum here and all the great programming stuff around. If anyone's willing to take me under their wing here (or to slap me around and tell me to quit whining), my clan e-mail is DarkTemplar@clan-aoa.org, or catch me on AIM as DarkTemplar AoA.

Thanks folks. I appreciate the help. =)

--Rob
July 21, 2003, 9:28 AM
Eibro
Have you seen bnetdocs yet? http://www.valhallalegends.com/arta/bnetdocs
July 21, 2003, 9:55 AM
Grok
[quote author=Myndfyre link=board=17;threadid=1984;start=0#msg15462 date=1058779700]blasted if I look at some C code. It's like kryptonite to Superman.[/quote]

Superman understands kryptonite perfectly well.
July 21, 2003, 11:35 AM
iago
It's more like kryptonite to The Hulk.. he has no idea what it is :)
July 21, 2003, 11:41 AM
DarkMinion
[quote]I'm looking over the BNLS protocol and then boom! I need to know about the Battle.net chat protocol as well.[/quote]

Allow me to translate into two different languages:

AOLer:
IMM LOKNG OV3R DA BNLS PRO2COL AND THEN BOM11!11!! OMG WTF I NED 2 KNOW ABOUT DA BATLEN3T1!!1 CHAT PRO2COL AS WEL!1!!!!! OMG

Newbie:
I don't know what the hell I'm doing, can someone please give me code so I don't have to do any work?!?!??!?!!? THX ^_^

July 21, 2003, 12:22 PM
Eternal
[quote]If anyone's willing to take me under their wing here (or to slap me around and tell me to quit whining)[/quote]

<Gets in the first slap>
July 21, 2003, 1:22 PM
Camel
[quote author=Grok link=board=17;threadid=1984;start=0#msg15466 date=1058787353]
[quote author=Myndfyre link=board=17;threadid=1984;start=0#msg15462 date=1058779700]blasted if I look at some C code. It's like kryptonite to Superman.[/quote]

Superman understands kryptonite perfectly well.
[/quote]

But he can't look at it.
July 21, 2003, 7:36 PM
Camel
[quote author=DarkMinion link=board=17;threadid=1984;start=0#msg15473 date=1058790161]
[quote]I'm looking over the BNLS protocol and then boom! I need to know about the Battle.net chat protocol as well.[/quote]

Allow me to translate into two different languages:

AOLer:
IMM LOKNG OV3R DA BNLS PRO2COL AND THEN BOM11!11!! OMG WTF I NED 2 KNOW ABOUT DA BATLEN3T1!!1 CHAT PRO2COL AS WEL!1!!!!! OMG

Newbie:
I don't know what the hell I'm doing, can someone please give me code so I don't have to do any work?!?!??!?!!? THX ^_^[/quote]

You forgot the ";~~~~~."
July 21, 2003, 7:38 PM
Myndfyr
LoL thanks fellas for the encouraging remarks. No, I'm not an AOL LUser (my mom is tho :P) but I am definitely a newb to the socket communications crap. Tho, I am more than happy to code whatever I need to.

I've tried several times to get into BNetDocs but whenever I go I get a nice notice that "We're sorry, but BnetDocs is currently unavailable." If anyone has it cached or offline, that would be great =) ty

--Rob
July 21, 2003, 7:53 PM
iago
Arta's offline for a few days, so that might explain it :-)
July 22, 2003, 8:49 AM
Adron
And btw, if you show us some progress, you're likely to get a lot of help. For now, you're classified as "lots of ideas, lots of talk, but will there be anything once he realizes it's lots of work?". Noone wants to spend lots of time helping you unless you're spending really lots of time yourself. You're supposed to be doing the major part of the work, not people on the forum.

Most people can think of 3 dozen features they'd like to have in their bot, but few actually add them.
July 22, 2003, 1:36 PM
tA-Kane
[quote author=Adron link=board=17;threadid=1984;start=0#msg15607 date=1058880971]Most people can think of 3 dozen features they'd like to have in their bot, but few actually add them.[/quote]I'll get around to doing that... eventually...
July 22, 2003, 7:18 PM
Camel
[quote author=Adron link=board=17;threadid=1984;start=0#msg15607 date=1058880971]Most people can think of 3 dozen features they'd like to have in their bot, but few actually add them.[/quote]

Tip to the people Adron is referring to: keep a changelog and a wishlist. Example.
July 22, 2003, 9:47 PM
Myndfyr
Tonight (at work) I plan on sitting down and doing some high-level planning and then designing a user interface; I think for now, I'll make it event-driven and set up some kind of Battle.net fake (just so that I can see how everything responds) and also set up the core plugin API. I'll keep you posted and will probably set up a site on my clan's site.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. =)
July 22, 2003, 11:50 PM

Search