Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Web Development | shout box

AuthorMessageTime
joe smoe
could anyone fill me in onhow to put a shout box on a web site? cause i seen them around and i want one so if any one coul dhelp me out i be real happy thx ;D
July 18, 2003, 11:26 AM
MesiaH
if you mean something like a tagboard, i have a good script that is pretty customizable, yet simple. It's in php.
July 18, 2003, 1:19 PM
WinSocks
joe, goto a website that has PHP scripts and download one, modify it so that it matches your website, then add it...
July 25, 2003, 1:30 PM
drake
I am working on a public version of my own remedy but I get slowed down by paying projects and stuff away from the computer. I finally decided to release a public shoutbox because people annoying me by asking how to get one, etc. and they are really easy to make in reality.
July 27, 2003, 1:14 AM
Adron
What *is* a shout box?
July 28, 2003, 5:27 PM
Spht
[quote author=Adron link=board=22;threadid=1951;start=0#msg16262 date=1059413224]
What *is* a shout box?
[/quote]

I believe it's a cut-down version of a guest book.

I'm sure there's plenty sample guest books which you can download, Joe. Just modify it to act like a "shout box" which you want.
July 28, 2003, 6:04 PM
Adron
Oh. A guest book that only some people can write to? Or...? A blog?
July 28, 2003, 6:33 PM
Douglife
Adron: its sort of like a on-page guestbook, popular with the spawn of personal design sites allowing each other to aggravate one another, and make each other feel cool amongst themselves, most are made so that all you have to do is enter your name and mesage and website address in the fields provided, they are pretty neat, but a bit annoying if you ask meh.
July 28, 2003, 6:43 PM
drake
Best put description is a combination of a chat system and a forum/message board system. This is because like a forum system, they display messages in the same fashion in that they are left and never cleared. In a sense posted. Yet like a chatroom in that they don't have the date or time of the post and they don't have a topic, its just a person's name and their message.

Essentially they are one of the easiest scripts to make for a website as far as web development goes. Also if done right they aren't annoying and a pain in the ass. For instance on my website, I have one that can be turned on and off from the user's profile management and because of a user system, they don't have to type in there username and password each time to make a post. Last I have it so that messages that are duplicate are removed to help counter some spam. I am sure there are other ways to reduce spam even more but that hasn't been a need on my sites yet.

So as you can see, shoutboxes or chat boxes (whichever you prefer to say) can be pretty cool if done right so that people don't get irritated with them degraded the site.
July 29, 2003, 8:11 AM

Search