Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Programming | Basic Programming

AuthorMessageTime
Slob
Okay im still in training for programming. So what can i play around with to get better. What can i create or something. And How do i understand the codes better. You guys might see me as an annoying kid that does not know what he is doing but im a fast learner and i will learn how to program because thats what i like and what i will become a Pro Computer Programmer.
July 15, 2003, 12:28 AM
Camel
You could try to make components that would aid yourself and other programmers. For example, CSB helps many people who dont have the knowledge of sockets required to otherwise connect to battle.net/bnls. Also, I made an [open source] userlist control to aid people trying to figgure out how to deal with listviews. This sort of stuff is what's really appreciated among programming communities like the one you're among now.

[edit] like vs as
July 15, 2003, 1:05 AM
Slob
I don't know how to use vb yet i just have a small understandment of it.
July 15, 2003, 1:50 AM
Camel
Hehe, again with 'understandment.' Seriously, am I the only one who finds that amusing? Is it even gramatically wrong? I think it should be a word; in fact, I'm going to start using it.

I have a great understandment of what it feels like to be a newbie -- or at least be treated like one. My best advice as to not sounding like a newbie is to just try your best not to ask questions until you're positive you can't figgure out the answer on your own. Otherwise, you come off as lazy/newbish which nobody -- especially Grok -- likes. ;)
July 15, 2003, 10:05 PM
iago
[quote author=Camel link=board=5;threadid=1913;start=0#msg14918 date=1058306747]
-- especially Grok --
[/quote]

Grok is one of the nicest people to newbies. In fact, many vL members are nice to newbies, and I try to help if I have free time on my hands. It tends to be other newbies that are the meanest; it makes them feel better about their little bit of knowledge when they make fun of people who know less about them.
July 15, 2003, 11:33 PM
Camel
Sorry, phrased poorly. The goal is to not look like someone who wants a bot but doesnt want to learn/do any work.

Grok openly expressing he hates AOL users (or as I like to call them, ever-n00bs):
[quote author=Grok link=board=17;threadid=1912;start=0#msg14841 date=1058229829]OK first of all I am extremely prejudiced against AOLers, so do try not to look like one when you post on our forums.[/quote]

Grok getting pissed off (with good reason) at a newbie:
[quote author=Grok link=board=5;threadid=1897;start=0#msg14833 date=1058227101]Do you have the source code or not? If you have the source, zip it and give me a URL.

If you don't have the source, get the hell off the programming forum.[/quote]

This really doesnt have anything to do with anything, but it looks really harsh out of context. :)
[quote author=Grok link=board=17;threadid=627;start=0#msg4790 date=1044460575]1) STFU newbie, idiot, you suck
2) BnetDocs[/quote]

Anyways, the point is that people are willing to help as long as one doesn't project himself as a 2lezzy2kare individual or get into "I'm too good for BNLS" territory. These types of people generally fall into two categories:
1) Newbie idiots who suck and need to STFU.
2) People who need to visit BnetDocs. And stay there.
July 16, 2003, 12:38 AM
Arta
[quote author=Camel link=board=5;threadid=1913;start=0#msg14932 date=1058315918]
1) Newbie idiots who suck and need to STFU.
2) People who need to visit BnetDocs. And stay there.
[/quote]

Or, condensed:

1) Idiots.
2) Everyone else.

;D
July 16, 2003, 7:10 PM
Slob
Thanks to those who tryed to help me. I have found a site that helps you learn Basic VB.
http://www.free-ed.net/fr03/lfc/030202/120/
hier it is for those who are like me.
July 20, 2003, 7:55 AM

Search