Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Diablo | Building Interest in Diablo 1

AuthorMessageTime
qualakonI have started a Diablo 1 site that is based around modding the original games plus its expansion Hellfire. You can find it at Khanduras.net.

I want to start building interest in the classic Diablo game, specifically where it comes to modding. In the past Diablo 1 modding was reserved for the uber-nerd and not the mainstream-nerd. There was a subtle yet distinct difference in the type of people modding Diablo. It had a lot to do with how one edits the game, Diablo's hex and asm reliance was a huge deterrent even to this day.

But that's all about to change.

A Polish programmer has been working for the last two years creating his own Diablo mod based on C++. This is the closest to running D1 source code as we are going to get. In his mod, which is code-named as Chochlik, he has already replicated the first 16 dungeon levels and even the removed quests from diablo-evolution.net. There is a lot of potential for this game and for Diablo modding as a whole community. This is where I'm looking for help.

The project is going to go open source once it's ready to be released. We're hoping this creates some interest in the aging classic. Khanduras.net is already a place cataloging the progress so far. Once it launches, we want to have an audience to launch to. Any one here have interest in Diablo 1 but haven't got too far in the past to continue? Have talent in graphic design? Know C++ and want to help out? Head over to Khanduras.net and create and account to share your ideas with the rest of us.
September 06, 2013, 01:16 AM
SixenSeems pretty interesting, I'll have to check this out.September 07, 2013, 03:59 AM
qualakon@Sixen, I don't know if where you come from this is a thing, but that was your four hundred and twentieth post on this great forum. I think that means something. This will be great.  ;D

Edit: I will also mention here that the source is not currently available, nor is a playable version of the game. Unfortunately that's outside of my control at this time. However these are planned. I want to gain some sort of consensus of how cool this would be and help get this project started once that time comes.
September 07, 2013, 04:58 PM
SixenHaha, didn't even notice. Also, understood!September 08, 2013, 01:05 PM
SphtktbpaSeptember 11, 2013, 07:06 PM
Sixen
ktbpa
Long time no see! Glad to see you're still around.
September 13, 2013, 09:54 PM
qualakonIf you haven't seen it already, there is a playable version of a new Diablo mod, the same one referenced in my original post. You can take a look at it here:
http://mod.diablo1.eu.org/

Diablo 1 HD MOD - Belzebub closed beta

Diablo 1 HD MOD - Belzebub
January 21, 2014, 02:08 PM
SixenThat's actually really awesome -- and that is a completely custom client? Is the source available anywhere?February 01, 2014, 06:10 PM
l)ragonThat looks pretty decent for what it is.February 10, 2014, 10:02 PM
qualakon@Sixen, it has been said that the source-code won't be made available anymore. The maker is calling it a game to be played not remade.

I don't agree with this and has been the plight of Diablo mod making. I have an older version of this mod which doesn't have the same encryption as the finished demo. I have released it here http://khanduras.net/2014/03/repo-unnamed-diablo-hd-mod/ in the hopes that someone would be able to reverse engineer it and allow other mod makers to work with it. I have other versions that show the progress of the engine until it reaches Belzebub. I have also released all the versions of Chochlik I have here: http://khanduras.net/forums/private-alpha-testing/ with Chochlik Alpha 0.267 being the latest.

I hope this gets the exposure it needs to take off. If anyone is interested in what I'm doing, you can email me or find me on Khanduras.net
March 26, 2014, 04:32 PM
SixenYeah, that's really a shame that he won't open source it..