Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Such stuff as dreams are made on

AuthorMessageTime
K
I wish there were a thread were I could post all the people that really need to be banned. JoeCool springs to mind immediately. Note that I'm not wishing he were banned...I'm wishing I could request it ::)
July 9, 2003, 5:15 PM
iago
There are a lot of people I can think of, but it really is impossible to ban people since almost everybody can change their ip one way or another..
July 9, 2003, 8:31 PM
Thing
Oh there's a real easy way with Apache:

[code]<Directory "/whatever/web/root/is">
Order deny,allow
Deny from all
Allow from this subnet, that subnet, etc.
</Directory>[/code]
July 9, 2003, 8:59 PM
iago
True, but they can still go down to their friends/local library/school/radio shack and have access..
July 9, 2003, 9:53 PM
Thing
[quote author=iago link=board=2;threadid=1841;start=0#msg14346 date=1057787580]
True, but they can still go down to their friends/local library/school/radio shack and have access..
[/quote]Not if I don't specify that subnet in the allow.
July 9, 2003, 10:47 PM
Raven
You guys are thinking inside the box. There's a very very simple way to keep unwanted visitors out, and I'm sure atleast one of you (aside from me ofcourse ;) ) know it. :)
July 9, 2003, 11:44 PM
Invert
You can just keep deleting the posts the person makes, which would discourage someone from posting since they know that their post will get deleted anyway.
July 9, 2003, 11:49 PM
Naem
[quote author=Raven link=board=2;threadid=1841;start=0#msg14364 date=1057794252]
You guys are thinking inside the box. There's a very very simple way to keep unwanted visitors out, and I'm sure atleast one of you (aside from me ofcourse ;) ) know it. :)
[/quote]

Since an unwanted user could just use a proxy to get in, I'm guessing you're thinking of a members-only forum.
July 9, 2003, 11:51 PM
Raven
Essentially. Modify the forum to only allow admins to create member accounts. That's a way to keep unwanted idiots out. :)
July 9, 2003, 11:59 PM
Thing
You are all missing the point I was trying to make. If I put that in httpd.conf, NO computer can even begin a session with the server unless I specify a certain IP address, domain or subnet to allow. All disallowed computers will get a 403.

It's easier to deny total access to everyone and allow access to 20 or so IP's, etc. than to allow everyone and try to deny computers that jump from proxy to proxy.

Of course, then you'll get the pissed off kid that will want to throw a temper tantrum and launch the "Oh I'm so clever" echo storm or syn flood attack.
July 10, 2003, 12:02 AM
Raven
[quote author=Thing link=board=2;threadid=1841;start=0#msg14373 date=1057795367]
You are all missing the point I was trying to make. If I put that in httpd.conf, NO computer can even begin a session with the server unless I specify a certain IP address, domain or subnet to allow. All disallowed computers will get a 403.

It's easier to deny total access to everyone and allow access to 20 or so IP's, etc. than to allow everyone and try to deny computers that jump from proxy to proxy.

Of course, then you'll get the pissed off kid that will want to throw a temper tantrum and launch the "Oh I'm so clever" echo storm or syn flood attack.
[/quote]

All that was pointless. No offense, ofcourse.
July 10, 2003, 1:00 AM
DarkMinion
Camel.
July 10, 2003, 1:07 AM
Thing
[quote]All that was pointless. No offense, ofcourse.[/quote]None taken.

* adds deny from 12.248. *
July 10, 2003, 1:33 AM

Search