Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | I made something you guys might like :)

AuthorMessageTime
phpcheff
I don't know how many people on here are programmers, but I just finished building http://pastecode.com and figured you guys might find it useful :)

Let me know your thoughts :)
July 29, 2011, 8:43 PM
Myndfyr
It took a really long time to load for such a simple page.

Also, www.pastebin.com already exists and appears to be better.  It has syntax highlighting.

Ah, I see language now at the top right.  Bad placement... it's out of the normal user usability flow.  Move it to the left of the "paste" button.

Now there's no way for me to change the language.  :P

I like that you capture the tab button, but you should change it to be four spaces instead of eight.  Nobody defaults to eight anymore.
July 30, 2011, 4:56 PM
phpcheff
What kind of load time are you experiencing? My load is almost instant.

And I put a fairly simple javascript syntax highlighter on there, it seemed to do well with PHP, do you have any examples I could reference to work on making it better highlighting?
July 31, 2011, 9:54 PM
rabbit
highlight_string and highlight_file will give you syntax highlighting for PHP code in PHP.
August 1, 2011, 12:53 AM
phpcheff
But it's not theme-able the way I have it now. Plus, it's SUPPOSED to be multi-language (programming language), although I may be wrong there
August 1, 2011, 5:47 AM
Myndfyr
[quote author=syntaqx link=topic=18306.msg185363#msg185363 date=1312149299]
What kind of load time are you experiencing? My load is almost instant.

And I put a fairly simple javascript syntax highlighter on there, it seemed to do well with PHP, do you have any examples I could reference to work on making it better highlighting?
[/quote]
Like I said, I found it after I clicked "submit" - it's at the top right.  You should put it at the bottom right, to the left of the Submit button, so that people see it.  At the top right it's out of the normal user flow.  I literally assumed it would try to auto-detect (like StackOverflow).

Also, you need to let the code language be changed.  Once I submitted the code with the incorrect language, I couldn't revert.

Regarding my load time: it took about 20 seconds to load.
August 2, 2011, 5:49 AM
phpcheff
I'm doing some reconsiderations on the design currently, so when I do them, I'll be sure to move the language dropdown as well.

How would I go about making the language changeable since people are not logged in? I don't want to make this a login based system, so it's difficult to know who's changing the language on it other than IP address (which we all know isn't a good way of validating)

Are you still experiencing the 20 second load time? Or was it a one time thing? It may have just been a traffic spike period. Currently I'm getting well over 2k unique hits a day between all my sites, and I'm working on some optimization for the server.
August 2, 2011, 2:07 PM
Invert
[img]http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp152/PontiacGA/Mr__Horse_by_Ren_and_Stimpy_Club.jpg[/img]
August 2, 2011, 10:21 PM
ghostofkc
Chase "syntaqx" Hutchins: It loads slow. Getting like ~15 sec load times after submitting like 10 lines... in the middle of the night. I will stick with pastebin.
August 6, 2011, 4:24 AM
phpcheff
Any particular reason you felt the need to get me name off Google? It's not a major accomplishment by any means, but I don't see why you felt you needed to share it?

I'm still working on optimizing the server, I really don't understand the load times you guys are experiencing.. Everything seems at least decent to me, but I'll continue throwing optimization's at it.
August 6, 2011, 5:39 AM
Baroness
[quote author=Invert link=topic=18306.msg185375#msg185375 date=1312323710]
[img]http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp152/PontiacGA/Mr__Horse_by_Ren_and_Stimpy_Club.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

LOL Ren & Stimpy
August 6, 2011, 10:05 AM
phpcheff
I just launched version 2.0 of the site, which will hopefully help reduce the spam I've been getting. Also, I've been doing a lot of optimization's to help the server handle the traffic my other sites have been getting.

Thoughts on the latest version?
September 9, 2011, 11:43 PM

Search