Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | StarCraft | SC2 Beta Review!

AuthorMessageTime
Invert
Post your review of the beta please!
March 14, 2010, 8:47 PM
Myndfyr
It's awesome!
March 14, 2010, 9:32 PM
Invert
[quote author=MyndFyre link=topic=18189.msg184310#msg184310 date=1268602328]
It's awesome!
[/quote]

That

was

very

insightful!
March 15, 2010, 6:53 AM
Sixen
[quote author=MyndFyre link=topic=18189.msg184310#msg184310 date=1268602328]
It's awesome!
[/quote]

QFT.
March 15, 2010, 7:32 AM
FrOzeN
Absolutely loving it.

From the start of a game it feels you must do a lot more in order to keep up. The 6 worker start really gets the game going a lot faster.

Protoss absolutely demolish ground armies with the right mix, but struggle a bit against air unless you know what you're doing. Zealot rushes with Protoss are pretty useless against any decent player, especially now that Zerg has Roaches. I've also found The Mothership to be extremely helpful with it's vortex against a bunch of anti-air units. The new chrono boost feature is great too, it's something everyone should be constantly using throughout a game.

Zerg's new unit Roaches are great for rushing. Most inexperienced players will get stomped on by them, which does feel a bit unbalanced at a low level. The Queen is now a must-have, and I usually have one at each base. Their larva spawn means no more multiply hatcheries everywhere, and they also provide you with the ability to spawn creep tumor which basically expands your creep. That ability combined with the Overlords new ability to drop creep allows you to control your creep, which Zerg units move over faster than on regular terrain. Mutalisks are much of the same as before, though, I find Protoss more vulnerable to them now. Unless Protoss has a few Phoenixes (which annihilate Muta's) you can usually do some nice damage around their base. Another new thing is the Nydus setup. It no longer needs creep to deploy, and has multiply exits. I find once I'm on my 3rd base I place an army of units within the Nydus and have an exit point in each base for quick defence. This also means you must ensure scouting around your base is done as all an enemy needs is vision and 20 seconds before the swarm arrives.

Terran almost always start of with a depot and barracks wall-in. Without it, surviving a rush is seems nearly impossible. And if you do survive the rush, then you'll be at a disadvantage with the resource/time loss to counter it. I've found with a few games, after you hold of the first wave with your wall, an immediate counter-attack using a few Marauders and a bunch of Marines really pushes them back. The new monster unit Thor doesn't really seem worth the cost. If you're versing any Protoss player by the time you have Thor(s), they'll have Immortals which chew through them. I'd rather just spend money on tanks with air support. Vikings are definitely my favourite Terran unit, their ability to be either air or ground is great fun. I find them commonly being used as a drop. Cloaked banshees are similar to wraiths, except with no air attack, they instead plow through units and buildings. Unfortunately I found that out the same time I found out that Overlords no longer detect. :(
March 15, 2010, 8:43 AM
BreW
I don't like it. Bases seem weak no matter how many defensive structures you have. Needs loads more balancing. With 24 of conceivably _any_ unit, you could demolish the other player. Nothing's really gotten better or more fun since the original StarCraft.

In this game, the only defense is offense. Rushes always seem to work.
March 15, 2010, 3:19 PM
rabbit
Do you guys try the strategies posted at TL?  Or read any of their coverage?  At all?
March 15, 2010, 9:52 PM
Sixen
[quote author=rabbit link=topic=18189.msg184322#msg184322 date=1268689962]
Do you guys try the strategies posted at TL?  Or read any of their coverage?  At all?
[/quote]

I've never read TL and don't really plan on it. My own strategies work.

Mynd, we have to 2's again, we're ranked 70 in Platinum still. Shit ton of Rested Points now..
March 15, 2010, 10:42 PM
Invert
It did not take long for me to become bored with SC2, anyone else?
April 23, 2010, 8:29 AM
rabbit
I got kind of bored when my game stopped working :<
April 23, 2010, 4:05 PM
MyStiCaL
pretty bored, since there's no ums enabled, or 3v3/4v4 enabled.

but whatever im not much for small games, i'd like to see an 8 Person FFA (:
April 23, 2010, 7:46 PM

Search