Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Web Development | How do i find this IP?

AuthorMessageTime
MesiaH
Ok, i just set up my other computer as a 24/7 server, using a crossover cable, its up and running, and i use a remote desktop program to control it, but here is my problem.

When i use the remote desktop program, i simply connect to:

But im almost positive thats just a local address. Say i were to run a server on it for chatting and so on, how would i find the ip to let everybody else connect to it? or what would it be?
July 6, 2003, 2:50 AM
K
Two options:
1) visit this site: http://dynamic.zoneedit.com/checkip.html
2) visit your gateway's configuration page and check it there. I added the line [quote]192.168.1.1   router[/quote] to my hosts file so I can just head to http://router.
July 6, 2003, 4:49 AM
MesiaH
nononono maybe u didnt get what i meant, i want the address or i want to know how EVERYBODY IN THE ENTIRE WORLD can connect to it, without the use of 3rd party forwarding software on the main computer.

By the way, just incase i forgot to mention, there is no router, its directly linked using crossover ethernet cable.
July 6, 2003, 5:19 PM
Yoni
In your scheme, all the connection requests hit the main computer. If you want to connect to the second computer from outside, you'll have to set up port forwarding.
July 6, 2003, 5:33 PM
Thing
Both K's and Yoni's answers were accurate, however, you need to be a bit more specific on the topology of your network. The only information about it is that you have connected two computers with a crossover cable.

What type of Internet service do you have? (Cable, DSL, etc)
Does your router have more than one ethernet port on it?
Do you have two NICs in one of them and is it using Internet Connection Sharing for the other?
What OS is the server running?
What is the price of rice in China?

Help us out here.
July 6, 2003, 7:11 PM
MesiaH
Sorry.

I have cable internet
Im not using a router.
I have an onboard ethernet adapter on the main computer, where the cable modem plugs into, then another ethernet pci card that goes out to the "second computer/server", and yes i set up internet connection sharing with winxp on the main computer, windows me on the second computer/server.
The server os is WinMe.
I't was an inexpensive process, compared to using a router, and if it is the price of rice in China, i think ill grow my own.

Let me draw a little picture on how its setup:
[code]
Key: ---- is normal ethernet cable, || is crossover cable, [ ] is an ethernet card, { } is cable modem.

MAIN COMPUTER
[ ] [ ]-------------------{ }
||
||
||
||
[ ]
SECOND COMPUTER
[/code]
July 6, 2003, 8:16 PM
Thing
Let me guess ... The sticker on your cable thing says "Motorolla".
Shoot yourself.

You are using Winders ME?!?!
Shoot yourself again.

You really should get a switch, connect both comps and the cable thing to the switch. Assign static IP addresses to the comps and forward whatever port you want to use, through the cable thing to the server.

Depending on what you are going to run on the server, you really should consider switching from ME to a Linux distro. If you just want to give people something to hack into, then keep it on ME.
July 8, 2003, 1:57 PM
MesiaH
i wanted to keep it windows based so i can run my applications with super ease, as well as run a program on it for connection to it on the main computer, and having full control of it.

No, my modem is not motorolla, and i wanted to avoid any extra hardware/routers/anyshitlikethat.

I guess i will just have to create a connection bridge on this computer, seems to be the easiest way to get this done (cheapest also.)
July 8, 2003, 4:50 PM
Yoni
ME isn't really an OS, it's just 98 with some extra crashes... If you insist on using 9x, you should upgrade ME to 98 (yes, upgrade). I recommend replacing it with Win2k, though.
July 9, 2003, 3:02 PM
Camel
[quote author=Yoni link=board=22;threadid=1816;start=0#msg14264 date=1057762962]
ME isn't really an OS, it's just 98 with some extra crashes... If you insist on using 9x, you should upgrade ME to 98 (yes, upgrade). I recommend replacing it with Win2k, though.
[/quote]

ME was designed to allow package-pc manufacturers (such as Dell, Compaq, etc) to rip out core os components (drivers, the "e" in top right corner of IE, etc) and replace them with their own. It was a compatability thing and a pseudo-jump to NT. Smart move for Microsoft: they were able to make a buck. Pain in the ass for tech experts though.
July 9, 2003, 7:49 PM
Skywing
[quote author=Camel link=board=22;threadid=1816;start=0#msg14312 date=1057780158]
It was a compatability thing and a pseudo-jump to NT. Smart move for Microsoft[/quote]
Umm.. Windows Me is nothing like NT. What are you talking about?
July 9, 2003, 9:33 PM
MesiaH
well since we are off topic, what does my OS have to do with anything? I chose winMe because i couldnt find my win98 SE cd, and i needed an older operating system because the hard drive on the comp is only 1.18 gigz, windows takes up a good 300+ (with everything uninstalled possible)

every windows has the ability to use the connection sharing wizard, even windows 95, since it is available for download. my OS should have NOTHING to do with my situation.
July 10, 2003, 4:38 PM
Adron
Different Windows versions offer very different solutions for internet connection sharing.
July 13, 2003, 1:52 AM
Grok
[quote author=MesiaH link=board=22;threadid=1816;start=0#msg14440 date=1057855081]and i needed an older operating system because the hard drive on the comp is only 1.18 gigz, windows takes up a good 300+ (with everything uninstalled possible)[/quote]

Spend $30 and get a 20gb?
July 13, 2003, 1:31 PM
j0k3r
If you didn't want to spend any money I'm sure you could ask someone for a spare HD (almost everyone has some/afew) or go to a scrap yard and rip one out of a PC. 1.66gigs is nothing, you can barely do anything with it, and upgrading is ridiculously cheap.
July 14, 2003, 12:56 AM
Skywing
[quote author=MesiaH link=board=22;threadid=1816;start=0#msg14440 date=1057855081]
well since we are off topic, what does my OS have to do with anything? I chose winMe because i couldnt find my win98 SE cd, and i needed an older operating system because the hard drive on the comp is only 1.18 gigz, windows takes up a good 300+ (with everything uninstalled possible)
[/quote]

Hmm...
[me=Skywing]points to his 200MHz Pentium MMX with 64MB of RAM running Windows Server 2003.[/me]
July 14, 2003, 2:48 AM
St0rm.iD
Well, you could run FreeBSD without an X server and get much more bang for your buck...
July 15, 2003, 3:14 PM
WinSocks
hmmmm, even Windows 4.0 would be better then WinME, i know cause i disturbingly use it on my personal computer till i can afford win2003Server

:)
July 24, 2003, 6:18 PM
Camel
Hehe, "afford." That's a good one, I'll have to write that down.
August 16, 2003, 6:43 PM
St0rm.iD
[quote author=MesiaH link=board=22;threadid=1816;start=0#msg14440 date=1057855081]

every windows has the ability to use the connection sharing wizard, even windows 95, since it is available for download. my OS should have NOTHING to do with my situation.
[/quote]

Wowzers, my comp is 550mhz...time to upgrade...
August 17, 2003, 12:07 AM
Camel
[quote author=St0rm.iD link=board=22;threadid=1816;start=15#msg18453 date=1061078874]Wowzers, my comp is 550mhz...time to upgrade...[/quote]

Wow, the only comp I have that I still use that's close to that speed is a 450MHz laptop. I do have a 600MHz box that I used to use as a server, but my brother bought a new comp and gave me his old box and I didn't have any extra slots on my routers left.
August 17, 2003, 5:21 PM

Search