Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Programming | Human Interface Devices - IR Remote

AuthorMessageTime
Adron
I am writing a driver that among other things will support input from an IR remote control.

Looking in the SDK, I see WM_APPCOMMAND messages such as APPCOMMAND_MEDIA_NEXTTRACK, APPCOMMAND_MEDIA_RECORD etc. Since I have buttons for those on the remote, it'd make a lot of sense to have it generate those messages.

What is so far totally unclear to me is how a HID device causes those messages to be sent. I'm looking for any kind of more general tutorial/description of how this all fits together.

Suggestions?
July 5, 2003, 2:36 PM
Grok
Have you been here?

http://www.usb.org/developers/hidpage/

Still searching..
July 5, 2003, 3:35 PM
Adron
Hmm, I passed through there, and saw a lot of specifications... Maybe Windows magically connects those somehow, but I'm not making an USB device...
July 5, 2003, 10:13 PM
Grok
Probably I didn't fully understand what you're looking for. But that was my best attempt from what I knew.
July 5, 2003, 11:06 PM
Adron
[quote author=Grok link=board=5;threadid=1812;start=0#msg13964 date=1057446362]
Probably I didn't fully understand what you're looking for. But that was my best attempt from what I knew.
[/quote]

I'm actually looking for some kind of overview... I'm sure that I could find everything I need by crossreferencing several specifications of hundreds of pages each, but it would be easy to make mistakes, misinterpret something or so...
July 6, 2003, 12:35 AM
Skywing
Those sound like buttons on some of the "multimedia keyboards" - you know, the ones that have volume controls, browser navigation buttons, and all sorts of things which have absolutely no business being placed on a computer keyboard. Maybe you might try checking into HID keyboards?
July 6, 2003, 2:25 AM

Search