Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Suggestion Needed

AuthorMessageTime
MrRaza
To explain the story, my girlfriend and I are rather addicted to LOST. We have most of the seasons on DVD up to season 4. I am wondering if anyone has a program that can stream video content from my girlfriends computer where she has the DVD in her DVD drive to mine so we can watch it at the same time. A lot of the time I am not in the same city as she is and am working in Toronto a lot of the time doing IT contract work.

So, I know that I could probably RDP or use some remote connect software to try and do this but I am wondering if anyone had a suggestion of a dedicated program that could do this.

So yeah... any suggestions are appreciated.
May 20, 2009, 2:02 AM
Spht
Leave her.  should make things easier
May 20, 2009, 2:22 AM
dRAgoN
winamp can stream video content lol
May 20, 2009, 4:13 AM
chyea
is this a sexual refernce joke? i dont get it
May 20, 2009, 9:22 AM
PiaNKA
just torrent the seasons and hit play at the same time. leaving her does sound easier though.
May 20, 2009, 3:50 PM
Trance
I think VLC has some streaming capabilities, but I'm not sure how extensive they are.
May 20, 2009, 11:05 PM
RiffRiot
Seems easier to just make backup copies of the DVD's?  Getting them from a torrent doesn't seem very efficient if you already have copies...
May 21, 2009, 2:05 PM
PiaNKA
I just assumed he wasn't with her (and the DVDs) otherwise they wouldn't need to stream it
May 22, 2009, 12:56 AM
MrRaza
[quote author=bulletproof tiger link=topic=17957.msg182793#msg182793 date=1242811320]
is this a sexual refernce joke? i dont get it
[/quote]

I already did i joke on that with a hard drive with a broken pin thread a few weeks back.

:)
May 22, 2009, 2:42 AM
MrRaza
[quote author=pianka link=topic=17957.msg182799#msg182799 date=1242953780]
I just assumed he wasn't with her (and the DVDs) otherwise they wouldn't need to stream it
[/quote]

And the winner is........
May 22, 2009, 2:44 AM
Sixen
Personally, I would just use some Remote Desktop software.
May 22, 2009, 9:05 AM
PiaNKA
Personally I'd be torrenting some Trailer Park Boys, not Lost :)
May 22, 2009, 12:03 PM
RiffRiot
"A lot of the time I am not in the same city as she is and am working in Toronto a lot of the time doing IT contract work. "

So, wait until you're both in the same town and get a copy of it.. or.. have her make copies and mail them to you  ;D  I know I know.. it's not a very good idea but hey, it would work and I am just providing any solution that no one else has provided yet  :)
May 22, 2009, 7:50 PM
Denial
you could steam it via webcam buy a webcam and click play and let her watch it through webcam simple solution this way you cant mess up starting it at the same time theres 2 ways of doing it point the webcam at the laptop/tv or you could just setup a program to play webcam from a dvd / video file its called fake webcam
May 27, 2009, 6:33 PM
dRAgoN
[quote author=Denial link=topic=17957.msg182834#msg182834 date=1243449183]
you could steam it via webcam buy a webcam and click play and let her watch it through webcam simple solution this way you cant mess up starting it at the same time theres 2 ways of doing it point the webcam at the laptop/tv or you could just setup a program to play webcam from a dvd / video file its called fake webcam
[/quote]
you dont get sound doing that though, can do that with usb tv tuners msn treats it as if it was a web cam.
June 1, 2009, 7:13 AM
Obesteselay
Hey all, just thought Id throw out the suggestion that it would be very beneficial to see a function that resets sliders and knobs by double clicking them. Im not any kind of programmer otherwise I would contribute this. Sad face.
June 2, 2009, 9:34 AM
Ishbar
I think she's into the fat man, If she asks you to get naked and run into a propeller...I think you should decline.
It may get her off for a short while, but you'll be limited to enjoying it with only 2/3 your genitalia.
June 4, 2009, 8:35 PM
tA-Kane
I like cricking my neck.

</random offtopic>

MrRaza, there's plenty of hardware/software capable of streaming over your LAN to a video device, all you need is an appropriate Google search (else this Wikipedia entry ought to educate you). The question is... do you have sufficient bandwidth to stream DVD-quality video? I would guess that 95% of residential Americans, or even business travelers at hotels, do not. I pulled that number out of my ass, but it seems somewhat logical. You'd need a connection able to upload around 1.3MiB/sec... most residential and hotel class connections can't.

I believe VLC has the capability to do what you want (play a video stream video over an IP network), but I have never personally used it. Again, you probably do not have the bandwidth required to stream straight from the DVD source, so you'd have to make sure that the broadcasting computer is powerful enough to reencode the video into something a little (a lot) smaller on-the-fly. Otherwise, you could just pre-encode the video the day before you decide to watch it with your girlfriend, but that also has a chance of giving you spoilers.

In any case, I hope this helps.
June 18, 2009, 5:58 PM

Search