Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Math help plz

AuthorMessageTime
Raven
*Please explain as simply as possible, as Raven sucks at math. It's safe to assume I know little to nothing about the to-be-described concept. ;) *

Basically, how would you go about performing a Hilbert transform (C(R) to C(R) linear transform by Prin. Val. integral) of say f(x) = cos(40)? Thanks. :)

July 4, 2003, 1:16 AM
j0k3r
Half of that looks familiar, the other half looks like jibberish... What grade/subject is that?
July 4, 2003, 1:18 AM
Raven
Come on, I know atleast 5 of you bastards know this (looks at Yoni, Adron, and Grok). ;)
July 4, 2003, 7:58 PM
iago
Yoni, Adron, Grok = 3..
July 5, 2003, 12:14 AM
Raven
Those three were off the top of my head. Fine, doesn't seem like anyone will be answering this. 'Tis ok, I don't really have to know anyway. :)

*please delete*
July 5, 2003, 1:40 AM
Yoni
I don't know. Ask again in about a year.
July 5, 2003, 2:46 AM
Adron
[quote author=Raven link=board=2;threadid=1795;start=0#msg13878 date=1057369229]
Those three were off the top of my head. Fine, doesn't seem like anyone will be answering this. 'Tis ok, I don't really have to know anyway. :)

*please delete*
[/quote]

I have known it and then I've blissfully forgotten it. I was hoping Yoni would answer when I read it the first time.
July 5, 2003, 10:41 AM
iago
lol, me too!
July 5, 2003, 4:13 PM
Raven
It's fine, if I get that interested in finding out, I can just read up on it. Thx for reading though. :)
July 5, 2003, 5:40 PM
Grok
For future reference, I did not get past Calc I at the university.
July 5, 2003, 11:04 PM
Raven
See? And you turned out to be a pretty good coder (who unfortunately can't spell ASM ;) ). Sometimes, I also wonder if some of the stuff I'm learning and will have to learn will have anything to do with the work world. Adron's an Engineer, right? (or atleast finishing up his studies) How many times has he had to perform a Fourier transformation or crack a triple integral to figure out what to do? It seems alot of the professionals use number theory, factoring, and such, and rarely have to tap into their knowledge of more complex mathematics to reach solutions. Ohwell, hopefully I'll be able to handle anything the University dishes out at me. :)
July 6, 2003, 12:22 AM
Grok
IMHO, one thing that makes a good programmer is having a mind that can break big tasks down into little tasks with relative ease. That even works with geometry proofs. When I got to calculus, I didn't discover the needed paradigm in time to pass my course. Probably today I could take calculus and blow it away, because my mind has intellectually matured and learned more problem solving techniques which I didn't grasp at that age.
July 6, 2003, 1:07 PM
iago
I found calculus easy to do, although I've never fully understood it. For simple math, Computer Science, and even Physics, I understand how it all works but in calculus I've memorized a pile of rules, but I don't really know why the rules work.
July 6, 2003, 2:24 PM
drivehappy
The meat of Calc is really just the concepts. I think that the concepts are the best to learn because you can really figure the rest out by yourself (programming I've learned has helped a lot with problem solving).
July 6, 2003, 4:14 PM
j0k3r
I'm going into grade11, I'm not taking any special math courses 'til grade12 (can't) but programming I haven't found to be hard. Pretty much anything I've thought up I've been able to do, never been stopped. We're learning some screwed up language that was invented as a final for a university course in University Of Toronto (language is called turing). First year, I'm best in my grade, top 10 in the school for the language (and this isn't anything hard). That's why I'm trying to learn c++ at the momment, I'm hoping it contains more complex math that will open up my mind for up coming math courses.
July 6, 2003, 4:41 PM
Yoni
[quote author=iago link=board=2;threadid=1795;start=0#msg14017 date=1057501479]
I found calculus easy to do, although I've never fully understood it. For simple math, Computer Science, and even Physics, I understand how it all works but in calculus I've memorized a pile of rules, but I don't really know why the rules work.
[/quote]
In the university that I take courses in, there are 2 separate courses: "Calculus (I, II)" and "Infinitesimal Mathematics (I, II, III)".

These courses completely overlap each other, but in "Calculus" you learn the concepts and theorems and need to use them to solve computational calculus problems, while in "Infinitesimal Mathematics" you learn everything in a much deeper level, and in the test need to prove theorems, not solve computational problems.

A computer science major must take Infi I, and then has a choice of whether to take Calc II or Infi II + Infi III (the latter is much harder, of course, but gives you more points).
A math major must take Infi I, II, III.

[quote author=j0k3r link=board=2;threadid=1795;start=0#msg14025 date=1057509674]
That's why I'm trying to learn c++ at the momment, I'm hoping it contains more complex math that will open up my mind for up coming math courses.
[/quote]The math you will encounter while programming is almost always completely different from the math you will encounter while studying math. I doubt C++ will give you mathematical insight for the math courses... But it can, as Grok said, teach you more problem solving techniques which you might be able to indirectly apply to math as well.
July 6, 2003, 5:23 PM

Search