Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Window's acting strange

AuthorMessageTime
Ringo
I'm just wundering if anyone else has had things like this happen in the past, and if so, what was the problem :p
I think I might have a computer virus or somthing. :(
I've rebooted my computer once, since I noticed these things start happening.

A) I'm signed out of all web pages and have to sign in manualy. This happens again, after a reboot.
B) After rebooting, windows taskmanager no longer displays the "user name" string along side the image name -- it's blank, apart from the "system idle process" having the user name "SYSTEM"
C) I can no longer watch .mp4 video files -- say's I dont have the required codecs on the system, but I do, or did.
D) When ever I try bind() a UDP socket, vb6 always raises run time error 18.

Any ideas?
I'm running a full AV scan atm, but it's going to take all day :(
May 9, 2009, 5:49 PM
MysT_DooM
its the attack of a.exe!
May 9, 2009, 6:24 PM
Yegg
That's pretty bizarre. Your Windows is dying.
May 9, 2009, 6:45 PM
chyea
The dreaded error 18 virus. I remember when this hit really hard back in the summer of '93.
May 9, 2009, 10:54 PM
Spht
Probably crumbs in the keyboard
May 9, 2009, 11:17 PM
Ishbar
It could be that Spok, on his way to save the Romulan homeworld fails in his attempt and a revenge filled Romulan onlooker ship decides to seek revenge by advancing after the wayward craft - only to be sucked with Spok into a singularity decades into the past, creating a divide in the space time continuum, therefor creating a separate reality of time, and opening the door for a completely different Star Trek, modern, franchise!

Oh, wait...
No, that's just a rough selection of the new movie.

Sorry!
May 10, 2009, 1:41 AM
dRAgoN
smells like infection
May 10, 2009, 12:32 PM
Ringo
Well this is really strange :p
Windows it seems, has had a change in sexuality, and decided to work ::)
.mp4 video files still don't seem to work tho *shrugs*
I just uninstalled msn 14, because it was a pile of shit and reinstalled msn 8.1, because it is slightly less of a pile of shit.
Shortly after that, I was unable to connect to battle.net with diablo 1/diablo 1 sware.
Shortly after noticeing that, I was unable to connect to any client running lockdown.
I got brew to check some checkrevision values I captured, and for some strange reason, rob's checkrevision.dll was outputting incorrect results for lockdown checkrevision, but blizzards diablo 1 client was working fine.
So as a last thing to try, I rebooted, and now my taskmanager username strings are back, im no longer signed out of web pages and lockdown checkrevision has got itshappy face back on. :)

I can't remember if I installed msn 14 before or after this stuff started happening, I just remember the time/date was close.

I'm starting to wunder if it was msn 14 that caused this for a few reasons.
1st being, because microsoft made msn/windows live.
2nd being, because msn was made by microsoft.

Really random stuff, lol.
I'm left puzzled and confused.
May 13, 2009, 3:33 AM
dRAgoN
checkrevision.dll at times corrupts it self, try another copy of it.
May 13, 2009, 4:28 AM

Search