Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Skywing Joining Microsoft

AuthorMessageTime
Yegg
This is news from on or around March 25.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=3000

http://blogs.msdn.com/michael_howard/archive/2009/03/24/ken-johnson-skywing-joins-microsoft.aspx

Cmon, Skywing, at least keep us up to date with some things.
April 17, 2009, 9:45 AM
Hostile
Nice of you to show your interest in the Skywing Fan Club... :P
As you can imagine, moving to a new place and starting a new job is something that requires a lot of attention and keeps people busy, perhaps once he settles in he will have some time for gaming related hobbies.
April 17, 2009, 9:00 PM
laurion
I never thought he would succumb to the interests of Microsoft! I always pictured him as running his own company lol
April 18, 2009, 3:28 AM
Yegg
[quote author=Tazo link=topic=17909.msg182414#msg182414 date=1240025333]
I never thought he would succumb to the interests of Microsoft! I always pictured him as running his own company lol
[/quote]

They could be offering him a lot. Plus, it's never too late to start a company. Maybe it's better he works for a large company that already has a reputation before trying to run things on his own.
April 18, 2009, 4:04 AM
Denial
ewww dont tell me hes gonna be moving to my state....
April 18, 2009, 6:21 AM
dRAgoN
Probably was a good sum of money if he is, they also do "Paid relocationing" which is an added bonus, dont ask how I know ;)
April 18, 2009, 2:52 PM
Spht
I figured he'd end up at blizzard or microsoft.  i'm sure he's been offered a job at blizzard several times.  skywing is modest so i'm not surprised that he's never announced anything here

Damn, should've invested money in his future years ago...
April 18, 2009, 3:00 PM
Denial
I agree i should have gotten stock in this clan or skywing now hes probably getting a good sum of money although if he worked for blizzard on the anti-cheating side that be cool except all our names would be autobanned from the blizzard games.
April 19, 2009, 2:16 AM
Sixen
I'm not surprised, he was a MS MVP for quite some time as well.. Congrats, none-the-less. That first article on zdnet is pretty cool.
April 19, 2009, 9:04 AM
-MichaeL-
I guess people will have a hard time pirating windows 7 now :P
April 19, 2009, 5:24 PM
Yegg
[quote author=-MichaeL- link=topic=17909.msg182447#msg182447 date=1240161850]
I guess people will have a hard time pirating windows 7 now :P
[/quote]

Ya. We'll have to wait for the next Skywing to come around.
April 19, 2009, 7:17 PM
Hostile
[quote author=Spht link=topic=17909.msg182427#msg182427 date=1240066816]
I figured he'd end up at blizzard or microsoft.  i'm sure he's been offered a job at blizzard several times.  skywing is modest so i'm not surprised that he's never announced anything here

Damn, should've invested money in his future years ago...
[/quote]

Sucks to be you, I actually own 1% of Skywing.
At first I wasn't very happy with my investment, cause when I tried to collect my annual dividend for 2008, he just sent me a locket of hair.
I got the last laugh though, now I'm cloning a whole army of Skywings.

What now Ken, the move is yours!
April 20, 2009, 3:01 AM
-MichaeL-
A whole army of skywings? Piracy is doomed!!!! :(
April 20, 2009, 3:49 AM
Hostile
lol Honestly I don't see them being able to outsmart all the people out there who want Windows for free.
The smartest thing Microsoft can do is just halt Windows Updates for non-legit versions. Which is fair and in theory not unreasonable to do (if youre monitoring a License getting the same update 50 thousand times), without throwing in tons of back end checks (and vulnerabilities) that makes them seems like tyrants, they really have no business putting in secret processes to fix that stuff.
I'm overall happy with what Microsoft has been doing, but when I recently finally upgraded to Vista 64, and found out that they put in backdoors to Windows Defender firewall and "supposedly" gave them to partners (Adobe), so certain installs could send little checks making sure they were legit, they lost my confidence a bit.
Oh well, Zone Alarm is better anyways, even if it doesn't fit in as well.
April 20, 2009, 5:30 AM
Denial
i guess skywing has grown since he stopped visiting battle.net. we shall see if he can make a difference although im curious to how much he was offered
April 20, 2009, 5:48 AM
Yegg
[quote author=Hostile link=topic=17909.msg182457#msg182457 date=1240205411]
lol Honestly I don't see them being able to outsmart all the people out there who want Windows for free.
The smartest thing Microsoft can do is just halt Windows Updates for non-legit versions. Which is fair and in theory not unreasonable to do (if youre monitoring a License getting the same update 50 thousand times), without throwing in tons of back end checks (and vulnerabilities) that makes them seems like tyrants, they really have no business putting in secret processes to fix that stuff.
I'm overall happy with what Microsoft has been doing, but when I recently finally upgraded to Vista 64, and found out that they put in backdoors to Windows Defender firewall and "supposedly" gave them to partners (Adobe), so certain installs could send little checks making sure they were legit, they lost my confidence a bit.
Oh well, Zone Alarm is better anyways, even if it doesn't fit in as well.
[/quote]

Half Windows Updates for non-legit versions? What will that do? When I used to use Windows and needed to get it for free, there were activation cracks and cracks for that Windows Genuine check thing (whatever it was called) to make Windows think it was legit, and you would get updates as if you actually paid for Windows.
April 20, 2009, 3:17 PM
RiffRiot
Go Skywing!  That article on zdNet was nice!  ;D

I believe MS has improved over the years and will definitely do better with Ken on their side.
April 20, 2009, 8:14 PM
iCe
http://free.pages.at/antiwpa11/index2.php

That will be hard to stop as it uses dll injection into windows. Works like a charm
April 21, 2009, 3:28 AM

Search