Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Web Development | Silverlight or ASPX ?

AuthorMessageTime
nicky123
I am using Silverlight since last 25 days and it changed the way of coding. I am embedding everything in xap which makes me little confuse.

My Question:

1.      To what extend we need to write the code in aspx

2.      If I am developing and ASP.NET application with Silverlight what proportion of code normally I need to put in XAML considering all pages are fully powered by Silverlight pages.
April 8, 2009, 10:29 AM
Yegg
Any idea if there is a Silverlight port for Linux? If not then you will simply be limiting your user base. 
April 8, 2009, 2:39 PM
RiffRiot
Yegg,

If you are interested in using Silverlight on Linux distro's you may want to check out Moonlight.  It is an open source project to allow the use of Silverlight on Linux-based OS's.  I personally have not used it myself but have read up on it and can assist you in using it if you need some help.

nicky123,

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?  Furthermore, are you learning Silverlight from a book or online tutorials?

Thanks

April 8, 2009, 6:07 PM
Yegg
Thanks for the info RiffRiot. I'm not interested in it by any means. I'm an OSX user. I didn't know about Moonlight so I was just curious. Thanks for letting me know about it though.
April 8, 2009, 8:19 PM
Quarantine
Moonlight's Silverlight 2.0 support is sketchy, and Silverlight 1.0 is nothing more than a glorified media streaming API set.

Silverlight is for Rich Internet Applications, while ASP.NET is for the more traditional style website.
April 9, 2009, 2:43 AM
nicky123
But, I am confused with is best among of Silverlight or ASPX.
April 9, 2009, 4:13 AM
Myndfyr
They have very different purposes.

Silverlight is exceptional at runtime-rendering of vector-based graphics.  It's very much like Flash, and creates rich internet applications (RIAs).  It has no support outside of web clients that have the Silverlight plugin installed.

ASP.NET is a tool for generating dynamic content based on HTML and other cross-platform, cross-browser normal web-based standards.  It can work on anything that can read HTML.  Its native language is HTTP, although lately there have increasing support for WS-* standards.

If you want to do flashy stuff, Silverlight will do better for you.  It's compiled, it will run much better than script will.  But there are a lot of web apps that wouldn't benefit from moving out of HTML - this forum, for example, is one - but that could be debated.
April 9, 2009, 4:37 AM
nicky123
[quote author=MyndFyre[vL] link=topic=17893.msg182259#msg182259 date=1239251879]
They have very different purposes.

Silverlight is exceptional at runtime-rendering of vector-based graphics.  It's very much like Flash, and creates rich internet applications (RIAs).  It has no support outside of web clients that have the Silverlight plugin installed.

ASP.NET is a tool for generating dynamic content based on HTML and other cross-platform, cross-browser normal web-based standards.  It can work on anything that can read HTML.  Its native language is HTTP, although lately there have increasing support for WS-* standards.

If you want to do flashy stuff, Silverlight will do better for you.  It's compiled, it will run much better than script will.  But there are a lot of web apps that wouldn't benefit from moving out of HTML - this forum, for example, is one - but that could be debated.
[/quote]

Thanks for sharing you knowledge and also for help me
April 9, 2009, 5:04 AM
peaterdavid
[quote author=nicky123 link=topic=17893.msg182231#msg182231 date=1239186562]
I am using Silverlight since last 25 days and it changed the way of coding. I am embedding everything in xap which makes me little confuse.

My Question:

1.       To what extend we need to write the code in aspx

2.       If I am developing and ASP.NET application with Silverlight what proportion of code normally I need to put in XAML considering all pages are fully powered by Silverlight pages.
[/quote]

In your problem first you need to understand XML.
Because silverlight work purely in XML.
In aspx It's also work in XMl but in background
May 20, 2010, 7:17 AM
rabbit
[quote author=peaterdavid link=topic=17893.msg184913#msg184913 date=1274339857]
[quote author=nicky123 link=topic=17893.msg182231#msg182231 date=1239186562]

My Question:

1.      To what extend we need to write the code in aspx

2.      If I am developing and ASP.NET application with Silverlight what proportion of code normally I need to put in XAML considering all pages are fully powered by Silverlight pages.
[/quote]

In your problem first you need to understand XML.
Because silverlight work purely in XML.
In aspx It's also work in XMl but in background

[/quote]In your problem first you need to understand forums.
Because forums work DON'T BUMP OLD POSTS WITH GARBAGE.
May 20, 2010, 4:47 PM

Search