Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development | Compression types in MPQ files?

AuthorMessageTime
Myndfyr
Does anyone know which algorithms are typically used for MPQ compression?  I'm trying to decide on a starting point.

Stormlib - the library I use for MBNCSUtil and BN#'s MPQ support right now - supports bzip2, huffman (which I can only imagine is generic), PKLib, and zlib, as well as a special .WAV compression encoder.  I'd like to port it to .NET, so that I can more reliably have a cross-platform library and substantially reduce my filesize.  I don't want to use #ziplib as a base because it's GPL, which is incompatible with the license to BN# and MBNCSUtil (which is BSD).

I'd assume Blizzard isn't using ALL of these types of compression in their stuff; does anyone know for sure, though?
October 23, 2008, 5:59 PM
Ringo
iirc, i'm sure I remember reading somwhere, it was bzip.
But when I read this page:
http://www.campaigncreations.org/starcraft/inside_mopaq/chapter2.htm#compression
It say's it's PKWare. (unless, pkware are the authors of bzip)
I'm pretty sure the wav compression is used to decompress wav files after extracting, and compressing wav files user's add to sc maps. (but don't quote me on that one)
October 23, 2008, 6:52 PM
xpeh
I played with mpq editors.

On maximum multimedia compression level MPQ compressed game sounds better than Winrar on maximum compression level.

How is it possible?
January 14, 2009, 9:22 PM
cokesucker
possibly its being compressed a hell of a lot more? this is like saying "when i pound my sunglasses with a hammer and stuff them into a thimble then glue them back together again they dont look as good as if i fold them up and put them in my pocket" or should this be a lossy vs lossless discussion?
January 20, 2009, 2:04 AM
chyea
[quote author=cokesucker link=topic=17693.msg181344#msg181344 date=1232417074]
possibly its being compressed a hell of a lot more? this is like saying "when i pound my sunglasses with a hammer and stuff them into a thimble then glue them back together again they dont look as good as if i fold them up and put them in my pocket" or should this be a lossy vs lossless discussion?
[/quote]

gtfo
January 20, 2009, 7:11 AM
MrRaza
[quote author=cokesucker link=topic=17693.msg181344#msg181344 date=1232417074]
[/quote]

classic.
January 21, 2009, 5:39 AM

Search