Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Thing-O-Rama ™ | So I hate the navy

AuthorMessageTime
shout
So I was somewhat restricted due to a fault on my part. Part of this restriction is I am not allowed to leave base on weekdays. So there I was last Monday night, somewhere around 10 PM, ironing my uniform so it looks pretty for the next day. All of the sudden, the iron breaks and I'm like oh crap. So I jump in my car and drive to WalMart to buy a new iron. I purchase the iron, and the chief who restricted me happened to be there. I told him that I was there because my iron broke and I needed a new one. I showed him the iron and the receipt. He gave me a brief speil on why I was restricted and all the different ways he could punish me. I didn't see it as a big deal because I was doing what I thought was necessary to complete my orders of having a good looking uniform.

Today, I received a Captain's Mast package. I am accused of the following:

Article 92: Failure to obey a lawful order. Violation of liberty policies, wearing civilian clothes off base.
Article 92: Failure to obey a lawful order. Violation of liberty policies, off base on a weekday.
Article 92: Failure to obey a lawful order. Violation of liberty policies, out of barracks past 2200.
Article 107: False official statement. Why I was at WalMart.
Article 87: Absent without leave. Not at place of duty (barracks).
Article 92: Failure to obey a lawful order. Barracks room not clean.

That's pretty much enough to get me discharged with an other than honorable. I'm kinda pissed.

August 4, 2008, 6:14 PM
Newby
That's stupid.

How'd you get restricted in the first place?
August 4, 2008, 6:34 PM
Barabajagal
Uh... Innocent until proven guilty only applies to civilians or what?
August 4, 2008, 7:20 PM
iago
You were restricted from leaving the base, and you left the base, and you're upset that you're being punished? You most definitely shouldn't have left the base if you weren't allowed to.

[quote author=Andy link=topic=17592.msg179181#msg179181 date=1217877608]
Uh... Innocent until proven guilty only applies to civilians or what?
[/quote]
He isn't on a legal trial, so that adage doesn't apply.
August 4, 2008, 7:39 PM
Quarantine
[quote author=iago link=topic=17592.msg179182#msg179182 date=1217878759]
You were restricted from leaving the base, and you left the base, and you're upset that you're being punished? You most definitely shouldn't have left the base if you weren't allowed to.
[/quote]

He is also told to present himself with a tidy uniform (read: ironed). It's a catch-22.
August 5, 2008, 4:46 PM
K
[quote author=Warrior link=topic=17592.msg179202#msg179202 date=1217954798]
[/quote]

He is also told to present himself with a tidy uniform (read: ironed). It's a catch-22.
[/quote]

I'm sure you could find someone else to go get an iron for you...

Perhaps someone who is allowed to leave the base?
August 5, 2008, 8:15 PM
iago
[quote author=K link=topic=17592.msg179206#msg179206 date=1217967318]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm sure you could find someone else to go get an iron for you...

Perhaps someone who is allowed to leave the base?
[/quote]
He could have done that, he could have borrowed an iron from somebody else, he could have asked permission/explained the problem to his CO, etc.

There were lots of options, he's presenting it as a false dilemma.
August 5, 2008, 9:13 PM
Trance
I've never tried it, but I remember my girlfriend mentioning that if you hang clothes in the bathrom while you shower the steam will take out any wrinkles as if it were ironed.
August 7, 2008, 10:30 AM
chyea
[quote author=Trance link=topic=17592.msg179224#msg179224 date=1218105025]
I've never tried it, but I remember my girlfriend mentioning that if you hang clothes in the bathrom while you shower the steam will take out any wrinkles as if it were ironed.
[/quote]

or, throw it into a dryer.
August 7, 2008, 7:36 PM
Hostile
[/quote]

[/quote]

I dont see how Walmart is an easier solution than a neighbor or Id bet he might even have roommates. Seriously doubt hes the only one on the base who needs to iron his uniform :p

Edit: Iago covered that I guess oh wells. Oh and yeah a throw said uniform in dryer with a wet cloth and it gets -most- wrinkles out. Might not be perfect but even if no one else was around would have certainly been less harsh punishment than getting kicked out.

Face it dude, ya fucked up. Whyd you even join the Navy? I can probably speak for you and say it wasn't to keep fucking up and making excuses. So whats really wrong? Too stuck on dreams created in movies and video games so and you cant get around it in real life, so now you figure you it would be easier to fail out of where you're at right now and go on to the next best thing because what? the grass is always greener on the other side?
Military works hard for fucking sure, and you definitly lose all the freedoms that most Americans are hopelessly spoiled with these days, but you're also taken care of and well... you have a lot of "down time", plenty to recover.
Nothings perfect, start working with what you have, and hope its not too fucking late and you can start over after a month. For a lot of people, the military is a last resort for this change to be forced apon them, so for your sake I truly hope thats not the case.
You're just going to have to conform, in one way or another.. if the military didn't do it for you, theres still going to be other obsticles in life and certainly a life time of things your not going to want to do, but will have to if you ever want to live a comfortable life. Nothings free, and Im sorry youre figuring that out the hard way.

Ive seen several "Navy sucks" posts from you recently for different reasons why you might be kicked out. How long have you even been in? A couple years? half way done to get 80 grand for school, a monthly allowance to do it for 3 years? Now you're giving up? You should be so lucky for some commander to think you're still good enough to stay in, at least that way you'll have a second chance to figure out something that you probably won't take the initiative to figure out on your own.

I'm sorry for being harsh, but you need to figure this out. I dont bother writing lectures to people Ive noticed to be stupid. Start making the best of things, thats the only way you'll ever be happy.
August 8, 2008, 11:32 PM

Search