AuthorMessageTime
Grok
Whole Keyboard:
http://www.mgclick.com/starkey/main.html

Just Number Pad:
http://www.mgclick.com/starkey/gamepad.htm
July 1, 2003, 1:50 PM
DrivE
How interesting. With his "l33t" stats I'd bet Skywing has one of those. [Insert sarcasm here] No offense Skywing :P

!~!HaZaRD!~!
July 1, 2003, 1:52 PM
iago
Those Krazy Koreans :)
July 1, 2003, 7:40 PM
j0k3r
Is that an actual product? If it is it's like 5 years late... They should have designed it for war3 I bet it would sell like mad.
July 1, 2003, 8:59 PM
DarkMinion
Do you have any clue how popular Starcraft is in Asia?
July 1, 2003, 9:18 PM
j0k3r
I don't believe I do, never bothered to learn foreign cultures.
July 1, 2003, 9:25 PM
DarkMinion
From what I understand, it is so bad that they have whole restaurants dedicated to Starcraft :P
July 1, 2003, 9:40 PM
SNiFFeR
[quote author=DarkMinion link=board=2;threadid=1758;start=0#msg13459 date=1057095656]
From what I understand, it is so bad that they have whole restaurants dedicated to Starcraft :P
[/quote]
That's freaky.
July 1, 2003, 11:01 PM
Trance
I understand they have TV channels devoted to Starcraft. Also you're like a hero if you're the #1 Starcraft player.
July 2, 2003, 8:30 AM
DrivE
[quote author=SNiFFeR link=board=2;threadid=1758;start=0#msg13465 date=1057100495]
[quote author=DarkMinion link=board=2;threadid=1758;start=0#msg13459 date=1057095656]
[/quote]
That's freaky.
[/quote]

I second that.

[quote author=Trance link=board=2;threadid=1758;start=0#msg13562 date=1057134630]
I understand they have TV channels devoted to Starcraft. Also you're like a hero if you're the #1 Starcraft player.
[/quote]

Thats just sad...

!~!HaZaRD!~!
July 2, 2003, 1:11 PM
Liquid.Venice
I'm probably going to be going to korea to play this summer.

Broodwar is very slowly dying there, but I think it still has a couple years in it left.

But yeah, the #1 BW player makes about 300,000 a year in prizes and sponsorships, which in korea is a shitload of money.
July 3, 2003, 6:41 AM
DrivE
Which isn't exactly chump change here either you know...

!~!HaZaRD!~!
July 3, 2003, 12:47 PM
j0k3r
Almost makes you feel like quitting school and becoming a fatass nerd...

It's kind of sad when a culture is devoted to something that's like 5 years old. I mean come on atleast devote yourself to warcraft3 or something, it's new.
July 3, 2003, 4:19 PM
K
I agree. I mean, why would I read an old book like "The Odyssey" or a collection of short stories by Kurt Vonnegut when I can read the latest Harry Potter or Left Behind?
July 3, 2003, 4:21 PM
kamakazie
[quote author=j0k3r link=board=2;threadid=1758;start=0#msg13736 date=1057249151]
Almost makes you feel like quitting school and becoming a fatass nerd...

It's kind of sad when a culture is devoted to something that's like 5 years old. I mean come on atleast devote yourself to warcraft3 or something, it's new.
[/quote]

I dunno, but America is pretty devoted to sports and that has to be way older than 5 years. Maybe we should move on as well to better, newer things?
July 3, 2003, 10:00 PM
Grok
[quote author=kamakazie link=board=2;threadid=1758;start=0#msg13757 date=1057269651]
I dunno, but America is pretty devoted to sports and that has to be way older than 5 years. Maybe we should move on as well to better, newer things?
[/quote]

Quite a stretch to the argument there. "Sports", which involve real people busting a gut in pure competition they've practiced for all their lives, compared to Starcraft, a very specific one-company, video game. Besides relatively few people are devoted to sports in the United States. Most people I know don't give a damn, which is pretty frustrating for me, because I'm an American football fanatic, along with several other sports. Even in the deep South where I live, where "football is King", the percentage of people who are even mildly interested is small.

And sports, as far as I know, is always about today's game and tomorrow's playoff. Only us hardcore people remember games from 5 years ago or longer, and are willing to fight out them :)
July 4, 2003, 1:01 AM
kamakazie
Everyone here (Los Angeles) is a basketball freak (or some sport aficionado) and when trying to argue them about who is the best, these people can recall things from years ago. I think the Starcraft craze in Korea is the comparable to the Counter-strike craze here in America. People practice long, if not longer, than one would in traditional sports because there are no regulations of these "eSports" as compared to the NCAA. And people do bust their gut from playing games so much in that some have died! The issue of whether or not playing games is a sport has been long debated, and personally I feel it is a sport by definition. I don't think you can compare South Korea to the South considering it's about the size of Virginia; not to mention the diverse nature of America itself (i.e. the culture in the East is extremely different from the culture in the West, as can be said about the North and South).
July 4, 2003, 1:57 AM
j0k3r
[quote]
People practice long, if not longer, than one would in traditional sports because there are no regulations of these "eSports" as compared to the NCAA
[/quote]
You have got to be kidding me... I'm not even going to dignify that with a response out of respect for professional atheletes.

[quote]
And people do bust their gut from playing games so much in that some have died!
[/quote]
Well, they were obviously lazy fatasses who never got excercise and had no lives. I'm not implementing I have a life, but to die playing a video game is one of the (if not THE) most saddest things I have ever heard. If they are going to die because of a video game then they deserve it.
July 4, 2003, 3:02 AM
kamakazie
[quote author=j0k3r link=board=2;threadid=1758;start=15#msg13791 date=1057287755]
[quote]
People practice long, if not longer, than one would in traditional sports because there are no regulations of these "eSports" as compared to the NCAA
[/quote]
You have got to be kidding me... I'm not even going to dignify that with a response out of respect for professional atheletes.
[/quote]

Cookies to the first person who figures out what is wrong with his statement.

Anyways NCAA regulations mandate that athletes only practice 20 hours a week. I know people who play games twice as much as that easily.
July 4, 2003, 3:50 AM
DarkMinion
[quote]
Quote:

[/quote]

Dude, professional sports blow a big fat dick compared to NCAA sports. Sorry to burst your bubble.
July 4, 2003, 4:11 AM
Liquid.Venice
It's the fact that everyone in korea understands bw, so they can watch it and follow it and enjoy it. Also everyone plays it, it is a social thing for them.

And, for example, baseball is still bigger than bw in korea. But BW is still very, very big.
July 4, 2003, 5:09 AM
j0k3r
[quote]
Anyways NCAA regulations mandate that athletes only practice 20 hours a week. I know people who play games twice as much as that easily.
[/quote]
Yeah so they get more weekly playing time done, congratulations. Professional athletes have dedicated their lives to playing this sports, over 20 years experience by the time they're 30 for most...

Also, maybe I was unclear on what NCAA was... anyone mind clarifying?
July 4, 2003, 11:38 AM
kamakazie
[quote author=j0k3r link=board=2;threadid=1758;start=15#msg13816 date=1057318712]
[quote]
[/quote]
Yeah so they get more weekly playing time done, congratulations. Professional athletes have dedicated their lives to playing this sports, over 20 years experience by the time they're 30 for most...

Also, maybe I was unclear on what NCAA was... anyone mind clarifying?
[/quote]

Cookies again to the person who can point out the major flaw in his statement.

[quote]
One entry found for NCAA.

Main Entry: NCAA
Function: abbreviation
National Collegiate Athletic Association

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) is a voluntary association of about 1,200 colleges and universities, athletic conferences and sports organizations devoted to the sound administration of intercollegiate athletics.

Through the NCAA, member schools and conferences consider any athletics problem that has become national in character. Volunteer representatives from these schools and conferences establish rules that govern the Association and programs designed to further its purposes and goals.
[/quote]
July 4, 2003, 10:59 PM
Arta
*roasts j0k3r for being a prat* :)

btw: An emote feature on a forum is retarded.
July 7, 2003, 5:23 PM
DrivE
Uhh... did j0k3r just ask what the NCAA was? I hope that was a lame ass joke...

!~!HaZaRD!~!
July 7, 2003, 7:03 PM
j0k3r
Nope, no lameass joke, just lameass joker.
July 8, 2003, 8:54 PM
YoshisakaN
lol.. Gain some intelligence, save youself a few dollars, and learn the hot keys. ^_^
July 10, 2003, 3:30 PM
Cartufer
ooo, u just dissed ur self
lol
July 20, 2003, 3:14 AM

Search