Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Web Development | SQL Databases

AuthorMessageTime
Archangel
I'm starting to learn how to use SQL databases and i was wondering if its ok to have 2 tables for the users infromation, for example:

Having table: USERS with the rows: USER_ID USERNAME PASSWORD
and then having: USERS_INFO with the rows: USERS_INFO_ID ADRESS PHONE

the idea is having 2 separate tables to manage the users information, is this a correct way of doing this?

If so, what command should i be using to request the user adress using the user_id?

Edit: im new to this theme, so dont go hard with me :).
May 27, 2008, 3:14 AM
Barabajagal
One table, multiple fields.
May 27, 2008, 5:24 AM
Archangel
[quote author=Andy link=topic=17504.msg178398#msg178398 date=1211865841]
One table, multiple fields.
[/quote]

k, thanks :]. I will post if i got any more doubts.
May 27, 2008, 12:57 PM
FrOzeN
It really depends on the data you'll be storing. You have to determine how flexible your database needs to be. If you just wanted to know the user's main address, then putting it all into one table would probably be sufficient. But say the information you were collecting required room to allow for client's that have two or more addresses. In that scenario you would create a second table which stored all the address' and referenced each address to a ClientID.
May 27, 2008, 1:22 PM
Myndfyr
This is a process we call "normalizing a database."  There's a pretty great Wikipedia article about it and lots of Google pages.

Basically, you should take a look at the logical objects that you'll be storing; where there are relationships of 1:n or m:n, these are almost always prime candidates for normalization.

In your user table, for instance, consider that you might want to store a list of user's IM contact info.  So, consider that a user object might be represented:

[code]
class CUser
{
    public:
        const std::string& GetUserName() const;
        const std::string* GetProfileIMLinks() const;
        const int GetProfileIMLinkCount() const;
    private:
        // etc
}
[/code]
This class represents a user that has multiple IM links in his profile.  Your software might define an IM link as a hypertext link that can include the user's name.  For instance, all AIM links might be "aim:goim?user=%%USERNAME%%

A database schema for this might looks something like this (this is T-SQL for MS-SQL products):
[code]
CREATE TABLE [Users]
{
    UserID int NOT NULL IDENTITY(1,1) PRIMARY KEY,
    UserName nvarchar(75) NOT NULL
}

CREATE TABLE [IMLinks]
{
    ProtocolID int NOT NULL IDENTITY(1,1) PRIMARY KEY,
    ProtocolName nvarchar(10) NOT NULL UNIQUE,
    ProtocolLinkFormat nvarchar(125) NOT NULL
}

CREATE TABLE [UserIMs]
{
    UserID int NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY REFERENCES [Users](UserID) ON DELETE CASCADE,
    ProtocolID int NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY REFERENCES [IMLinks](ProtocolID) ON DELETE CASCADE,
    UserName nvarchar(30) NOT NULL
}
[/code]

With these three tables you have everything you need to have unlimited IM protocol fields and unlimited IM profiles per user.  Consider:
Users:
1  MyndFyre 
2  Archangel

IMLinks:
1  AIM  aim:goim?userid=%%USERNAME%%
2  MSN  http://members.msn.com/%%USERNAME%%
3  GTalk  googletalk:talk?userid=%%USERNAME%%  (Note: I have no idea if these work)

UserIMs:
1  1  MyndFyre
1  2  myndfyre@gmail.com
1  3  myndfyre@gmail.com
2  2  Danownage@gmail.com

Do you see how there are links by ID across the different tables?  These relational links allow us to make sure that our database integrity is good as well as avoid repeating information.  NOTE: Although UserIMs has "myndfyre@gmail.com" for both 1/2 and 1/3, realize that this information is actually separate.  They're separate addresses, one for MSN and one for Google Talk.
May 28, 2008, 5:31 AM
St0rm.iD
i wouldn't use sql if i were you. the technology is outdated and is barely in use anymore. only a few vendors support the technology until its end of life later this year. no real company still uses a sql database these days. sql is slow, inflexible, and overall lacking in relevance to any career plans you may have.

instead, i would use ajax.
June 1, 2008, 5:08 PM
iago
[quote author=Banana fanna fo fanna link=topic=17504.msg178432#msg178432 date=1212340120]
i wouldn't use sql if i were you. the technology is outdated and is barely in use anymore. only a few vendors support the technology until its end of life later this year. no real company still uses a sql database these days. sql is slow, inflexible, and overall lacking in relevance to any career plans you may have.

[/quote]
Just to be clear (for newbies), that post didn't make sense. :)
June 2, 2008, 4:32 PM
Invert
[quote author=Banana fanna fo fanna link=topic=17504.msg178432#msg178432 date=1212340120]

[/quote]

^
|
This is the dumbest thing I have ever read on the Web Development forums.
June 7, 2008, 9:21 PM
St0rm.iD
im super serial guys.
June 8, 2008, 4:30 AM
LockesRabb
[quote author=Invert link=topic=17504.msg178469#msg178469 date=1212873691]

[/quote]

^
|
This is the dumbest thing I have ever read on the Web Development forums.
[/quote]

Seconded.
October 30, 2008, 7:01 PM
Grok

[/quote]

???  :o

Nonsense.
November 9, 2008, 6:38 PM
chyea
What does that even mean...
November 12, 2008, 3:54 AM
macyui
[quote author=Grok link=topic=17504.msg180316#msg180316 date=1226255914]

[/quote]

uh, i work at zynga and we use the following:
mysql database
memcache
mongoDB for persistence
php to wrap facebook api
java and smartfox for socket server
flash client with some javascript

what is wrong with mysql btw?
January 5, 2010, 10:12 AM
rabbit
Dunno.  AJAX doesn't replace a database anyway....
January 5, 2010, 3:31 PM
smithshn
You can use the normalization. Normalization can sort the data and it manage the database properly.Therefore, you can access your database as fast in minimum duration by query.
May 17, 2010, 5:19 PM

Search