Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development | OpenID: Worth implementing in BNETDocs?

AuthorMessageTime
LockesRabb
I was considering implementing support for using OpenID for logging in, and wanted to know your thoughts. Would you make use of it, rather than having to maintain a separate a separate account for BNETDocs?

If you would want to make use of OpenID, but already have a BNETDocs account, I can add an option that'll allow users to specify that their BNETDocs account is OpenID enabled, and what their OpenID address is, then from that point on, the user would be able to log in via OpenID. What do you think?

If you don't think OpenID is worth implementing, why not?

I look forward to be hearing your input.  :)
March 22, 2008, 3:40 PM
UserLoser
what is openid?
March 22, 2008, 3:53 PM
LockesRabb
http://openid.net/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenID

From Wiki:

[quote]OpenID is a shared identity service, which allows internet users to log on to many different web sites using a single digital identity, eliminating the need for a different user name and password for each site. OpenID is a decentralized, free and open standard that lets users control the amount of personal information they provide.

Using OpenID-enabled sites, web users do not need to remember traditional authentication tokens such as username and password. Instead, they only need to be registered with any OpenID "identity provider" (IdP). Since OpenID is decentralized, any website can use OpenID as a way for users to sign in; OpenID does not require a centralized authority to confirm a user's digital identity.

OpenID is increasingly gaining adoption among large sites, with organizations like AOL, Google, IBM, Microsoft, Orange, Verisign, Yandex and Yahoo acting as providers.[1][2][3][4][5] In addition, integrated OpenID support has been made a high priority in Firefox 3[6] and OpenID can be used with Windows CardSpace.[/quote]
March 22, 2008, 3:58 PM
warz
can you turn bnetdocs into a social networking site too? thatd be sweet.
March 22, 2008, 5:03 PM
l2k-Shadow
bnetdocs + myspace =  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
March 22, 2008, 5:15 PM
inner.
I'm buggin.. I think BnetDocs should stay BnetDocs.
March 22, 2008, 6:09 PM
LockesRabb
Hah, too damn many social networking sites out there to compete with. But I beg to digress.

Back to the question at hand: OpenID-- do you have one, would you use it with BNETDocs, why or why not?
March 22, 2008, 6:22 PM
inner.
I just now heard of OpenID, so my answer: I wouldn't use it. :p Then again.. I don't use BnetDocs so my opinion wouldn't matter.
March 22, 2008, 6:25 PM
LockesRabb
@Vuther.de -- just curious; why don't you use BNETDocs?
March 22, 2008, 6:28 PM
ProjecT
[quote author=Don Cullen link=topic=17401.msg177189#msg177189 date=1206210496]
[/quote]

because he memorized all the packets structures.
March 22, 2008, 7:14 PM
MysT_DooM
i like the way it already is, although ur missing some stuff from artas bentdocs that would be useful like all the nls/srp information it had on it.
March 22, 2008, 8:37 PM
BreW
Not only that, but for convenience, you should have a refrence implementation of each type of hashing and encryption encountered in the use of battle.net enabled products. Along with sample output of each, or something. Battle.net developers would definately appreciate something like that.
March 22, 2008, 8:53 PM
Ringo
Do you mean http://www.bnetdocs.org ?
I tryed viewing that once, crashed IE.
I persionaly dont really use bndocs unless im feeling lazzy, that said, OpenID sounds worth adding aposed to not having it at all :p
March 22, 2008, 9:25 PM
warz
no, i think bnetdocs could become one of the new popular social networking sites. i see it competing with facebook, that's for sure.
March 22, 2008, 9:33 PM
LockesRabb
[quote author=Ringo link=topic=17401.msg177194#msg177194 date=1206221146]
Do you mean http://www.bnetdocs.org ?
I tryed viewing that once, crashed IE.
I persionaly dont really use bndocs unless im feeling lazzy, that said, OpenID sounds worth adding aposed to not having it at all :p
[/quote]

Crashed? Shouldn't do that. What version of IE were you using? Does it still crash when you access the website via IE? I just accessed it via IE 6, IE 7, and IE 8. Had no problems.  If it still crashes, try disabling javascript for your browser and attempt accessing it again. If it still crashes, I don't know what to think.

Betawarz- now I know you aren't serious. :-P
March 22, 2008, 9:43 PM
warz
so does this mean it won't eventually let me add friends, and stuff? can you at least allow me to display photos, videos?
March 22, 2008, 10:11 PM
Ringo
[quote author=Don Cullen link=topic=17401.msg177197#msg177197 date=1206222191]
Crashed? Shouldn't do that. What version of IE were you using? Does it still crash when you access the website via IE? I just accessed it via IE 6, IE 7, and IE 8. Had no problems.  If it still crashes, try disabling javascript for your browser and attempt accessing it again. If it still crashes, I don't know what to think.
[/quote]
The site works fine (just checked again) but the packet menus/lists dont work, I just tryed to copy/paste some text and it crashed IE again and massivly lagged my comp :(
The messages that do show up dont seem linked to anything as well.
Looked somthing like:
SID_NULL
and clicking anything within the packet menu crashs.
Everything else seems to link/work fine for me tho.
March 22, 2008, 10:17 PM
LockesRabb
[quote author=Ringo link=topic=17401.msg177201#msg177201 date=1206224224]
The site works fine (just checked again) but the packet menus/lists dont work, I just tryed to copy/paste some text and it crashed IE again and massivly lagged my comp :(
The messages that do show up dont seem linked to anything as well.
Looked somthing like:
SID_NULL
and clicking anything within the packet menu crashs.
Everything else seems to link/work fine for me tho.
[/quote]

What version of IE are you using? And did you try disabling javascript, then trying again with the packet menu? If so, what was the result?

Betawarz, one photo, yea. But add friends, videos, all the nifty features a social networking site would have? Nope. If you want a social networking site, try MySpace, Facebook, or the endless number of social networking sites out there. :-P

But if Blizzard were to offer to hire me on as a full time webmaster dedicated to working on BNETDocs, or make a buy out offer for BNETDocs, then I'd be happy to add whatever Blizzard wants. But we all know that isn't happening, Blizzard has a long history of being closed-source so they wouldn't be too amenable to BNETDocs. At the very most, Blizzard tolerates BNETDocs as a quaint curiosity. :-P

Anyway, the matter's settled. It's easy enough to implement OpenID support, so I'll add it in for the hell of it.

Edit: Ringo, I just tried it in IE 7, I see what you mean. A workaround would be to click the + sign next to the packet group title to expand it, the links will then render on the text. The + when clicked will change to -, if clicked, it will collapse the group. The bad news is, everytime you want to use the packet group menu in IE, you'd have to open, then collapse a group for the links to render properly. I'm not sure why it's having problems in IE. Not to worry, BNETDocs v2 doesn't make use of javascript, and renders very well in IE 7.

Since IE 8 has gone beta, may I advise you to take the leap and upgrade to IE 7? Or better yet, switch to another browser (Firefox? Safari?). :-) From what it sounds like, you have an old computer, so you should try Safari, it's very quick, and not CPU/Memory intensive. FF v2 is memory intensive, but from what I heard, that problem has been solved for the most part in FF 3 (currently in final beta testing stages).
March 22, 2008, 10:20 PM
UserLoser
how to gain access to update/modify bnetdocs.org?  pretty much looks like a copy of my latest workings from bnetdocs (original one) so i feel necessary to be able to modify ;)
March 23, 2008, 3:30 AM
LockesRabb
Of course it looks like a copy -- everything was copied over except for the old comments on the original site. ;)

As for gaining access to modify, you simply had to ask. Which you just did. If you log in, you'll notice you now have the ability to post/edit/delete news, add/edit/delete packets/documentation, and moderate comments.

Enjoy. :)
March 23, 2008, 3:49 AM
ProjecT
bnetdocs.org s very helpfull right now, just need some extra comments :). Good work btw.
March 23, 2008, 4:53 AM
UserLoser
[quote author=Don Cullen link=topic=17401.msg177214#msg177214 date=1206244167]
Of course it looks like a copy -- everything was copied over except for the old comments on the original site. ;)

As for gaining access to modify, you simply had to ask. Which you just did. If you log in, you'll notice you now have the ability to post/edit/delete news, add/edit/delete packets/documentation, and moderate comments.

Enjoy. :)
[/quote]

cool thanks, already got a bunch of stuff i see that needs fixin
March 23, 2008, 4:56 AM
MysT_DooM
a lot of the things labeled unknowns are known; might want to fix those also
March 23, 2008, 4:26 PM
inner.
[quote author=Don Cullen link=topic=17401.msg177189#msg177189 date=1206210496]
[/quote]
I don't program anything anymore, heh. But if I ever start back again and need reference, I'm sure BnetDocs will be the first place I go.

btw warz I want to send you a pic cmt when you upload it, k? keke.
March 23, 2008, 6:52 PM

Search