Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Programming | VB - C library error

AuthorMessageTime
l2k-Shadow
So I compiled a C library in visual studio 2005 and everything was fine. However, on certain operating systems (windows server 2003) for instance, When my visual basic 6 application tries to call the dll, it pops up error saying that the library was not found - and yes it is there. I tried countless things to fix it such as moving the library to the system32 folder, installing all possible run time files i could think of, patching both the vs 2005 and vb6 compilers, etc... but it still doesn't work.  Again note that this error doesn't occur all the time, only on a few select operating systems and/or computers. Did anyone ever run into something like this before?
March 12, 2008, 9:31 PM
l2k-Shadow
well i decided to recompile the library in visual studio 6 and everything works.

still, weird how incompatible vs 2005 is.
March 13, 2008, 4:09 AM
Myndfyr
Almost certainly you have a missing dependency.
March 13, 2008, 7:21 AM
l2k-Shadow
[quote author=MyndFyre[vL] link=topic=17380.msg176987#msg176987 date=1205392875]
Almost certainly you have a missing dependency.
[/quote]

I installed all the possible ones i could think of. I guess i must be missing something though. oh well.
March 13, 2008, 7:29 AM
FrostWraith
I ran into a problem similar to this a while back as well.  What happened was that when I executed my VB code (not running a compiled version), it crashed.  But when I actually compiled my VB and made an executable file and ran it, it worked.  One of the many reasons I left VB....
March 13, 2008, 4:21 PM
l2k-Shadow
[quote author=FrostWraith link=topic=17380.msg176992#msg176992 date=1205425286]
I ran into a problem similar to this a while back as well.  What happened was that when I executed my VB code (not running a compiled version), it crashed.  But when I actually compiled my VB and made an executable file and ran it, it worked.  One of the many reasons I left VB....
[/quote]

lol without compiling i get Bad DLL Calling Convention error.. WITH compiling, i got the file not found error. Yeah I don't code much in VB anymore, but i'm not gonna rewrite some of my old stuff in something better.
March 13, 2008, 4:26 PM
warz
the debugger does not run the application out of the same directory that the default compiled executables are placed. this is a possible reason for frostwraith and shadow's troubles. if you leave a language because of issues like this, they're likely to follow you to your new language.
March 13, 2008, 5:03 PM
l2k-Shadow
[quote author=betawarz link=topic=17380.msg176994#msg176994 date=1205427782]
the debugger does not run the application out of the same directory that the default compiled executables are placed. this is a possible reason for frostwraith and shadow's troubles. if you leave a language because of issues like this, they're likely to follow you to your new language.
[/quote]

nah, i put all the files into the folder of the IDE as well - same thing.
March 13, 2008, 5:06 PM

Search