Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Boot Issue

AuthorMessageTime
Chronix
I was planning on formatting my HDD and re-installing Windows not long ago, instead, my system isn't wanting to boot from the CD-ROM.  :-\ I have never had this problem until now, although, I had seen a similar instance where I had to go through many more steps because I had Windows XP Professional installed and I was downgrading to Home Edition. I'm not sure what I've got myself into or how to fix this mess, plus I have no choice but to install HE seeing as how I lost my Windows XP Pro. CD. Anyways, when I go into the BIOS and tell my system to boot from the CD-ROM which the Windows CD is in, I'm not prompted as I normally am to boot from the CD with Windows on it, and Windows boots up as it normally does and goes about it's business. Any advice?
January 25, 2008, 6:33 AM
Barabajagal
Make sure the disc is bootable by trying to boot onto it with other computers. If it is, it's possible your CD drive has a problem. You may also want to try removing your HDD from the boot list if your BIOS supports that feature.

Do you have a CD Burner? If so, I can give you a safe, working, bootable ISO of XP Pro SP2, but you'll need your own cd key.
January 25, 2008, 7:42 AM
MrRaza
If you can boot into windows, just run setup.exe from the Windows XP cd and install windows that way. It should work, and worked when I upgraded from WinXP to Vista.
January 25, 2008, 5:47 PM
BreW
Is your bios set to boot from the CD in prefrence to the hard drive?..
January 25, 2008, 8:06 PM
Chronix
Well, last night I decided to shutdown my system and try something I had read on another site. All I did was disconnect my DVD drive from the MB and shabam! It read the Windows CD. I'm guessing my DVD drive was bad.

Although, I do have to thank everyone who posted a possible solution to this problem, your help and thoughts are much appreciated!
January 25, 2008, 10:11 PM
dRAgoN
[quote author=ChroniX link=topic=17281.msg175971#msg175971 date=1201299105]
Well, last night I decided to shutdown my system and try something I had read on another site. All I did was disconnect my DVD drive from the MB and shabam! It read the Windows CD. I'm guessing my DVD drive was bad.

Although, I do have to thank everyone who posted a possible solution to this problem, your help and thoughts are much appreciated!
[/quote]
does your dvd drive run regular cds or is it that old.
January 25, 2008, 10:24 PM
Chronix
[quote author=l)ragon link=topic=17281.msg175972#msg175972 date=1201299878]
does your dvd drive run regular cds or is it that old.
[/quote]

Well you see, that's the problem, it doesn't read anything at all, it's as though there is no drive in place. And actually, it's only a year old or so. I built the entire system no more than a year ago, so I find it unearthly that a piece of hardware no more than a year old would suddenly go bad. But at one time it was working. *shrugs*
January 25, 2008, 11:43 PM
Barabajagal
Uh... warranty?
January 26, 2008, 12:08 AM
Chronix
I purchased each individual part from a local computer store known as Tech Advanced. No warranty was issued. There cheap anyways, I wont cry about it, I promise!  :)
January 26, 2008, 3:02 AM
Barabajagal
I meant a warranty on the DVD drive, not the computer.
January 26, 2008, 11:09 PM
Chronix
I wish :'(

I'll go rob the place and take one!
January 27, 2008, 9:41 AM
Barabajagal
You're kidding, your drive didn't come with a manufacturer's warranty? That's unheard of!
January 27, 2008, 1:20 PM

Search