Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Programming | Programming Certifications

AuthorMessageTime
FrostWraith
I was wondering other than Microsoft's certifications if any other companies provide recognized certifications in a multitude of languages.  Does anyone have any insight on this?
January 16, 2008, 6:16 PM
K
[quote author=FrostWraith link=topic=17274.msg175870#msg175870 date=1200507381]
I was wondering other than Microsoft's certifications if any other companies provide recognized certifications in a multitude of languages.  Does anyone have any insight on this?
[/quote]

I don't know if a lot of companies care about programming language certifications.  They're going to find out for themselves during the interview process if you are capable in the required languages, whether you have 20 certifications for it or none.  It certainly might help you get an interview, but probably no more than if you simply stated that you were experienced developing with languages X and Y.

Edit: looks like I misread the question.  Oh well!
January 16, 2008, 9:53 PM
Myndfyr
That has been my experience - that having the cert helps you get in the door, but once you're there you have to know your shit to get hired.

I don't know about language certs (MS's certs certainly aren't language-specific, and the MCPD cert is much more architecturally-based than even library-based), but CompTIA might offer certs that are useful to you.
January 16, 2008, 10:19 PM
FrostWraith
Yes, I am pretty sure I am going to try for CompTIA's A+ certification, but thank you guys anyway.
January 16, 2008, 11:23 PM

Search