Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | cant believe this forum is still active

AuthorMessageTime
UserLoser
not like it used to be, but still nothing like it used to be, discuss.
January 7, 2008, 7:33 AM
JoeTheOdd
Topic #1 dates back to March, 2003. Almost 5 years! To the next five years, guys! Bottoms up.
January 7, 2008, 10:25 AM
Smarter
Well, i'm not sure about everyone else, but as for myself I'm beginning to lose interest in Battle.Net, and if everyone else is starting to feel the same, that could explain the inactivity of these forums. Battle.Net used to be fun, and exciting, I would game constantly, and pause to toy with bots, or to read senseless arguments on the numerous Battle.Net related websites, now such websites are scarce and dying. When I started playing back in '99 there was constantly new things happening, new hacks surfacing, patches, then the arrival of Warcraft III and Clan Channels, and a shitload of more patches and more hacks! But after Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, the only real new things that started to happen was Blizzards continous attempts to thwart our attempts to emulate the client, which for alittle bit, added a bit of a challenge and some fun, but for me, began to become an annoyance, as soon as I learned the changes to the Protocol and had updated my makeshift VB6 programs, boom another one, that I had no interest nor skill (then) in personally reversing, so like many others sat around hopefully staring at vL Fourms patiently waiting for someone to graciously enlighten the rest of us who were not as skilled. Alas the time between these charitable pieces of information began to span further and further apart, as such did my interest. But all that aside I believe once StarCraft II (is it 2, or II?) is released there will be another peak of interests and spawning of related websites and all sorts of in-depth protocol documentation, that will grab myself as well as others, and drag us all back into hours and hours infront of our computers, armed with our overactive minds, Mountain Dew™, and Hot Pockets™! :-D So indeed, "Bottoms Up!" to another 5 years!
January 7, 2008, 10:44 AM
JoeTheOdd
That's the cool thing.. Battle.net is dead, but vL (and x86), aren't, because we rooted our interests outside of Battle.net. The five years of vL, the Battle.net clan, are over. The five years of vL, the programming / CS clan, have begun.

Also, I was wrong. vL was formed in 1999. The latter five years are almost over as well. What will years 11-15 bring? It's up to you.. let's start something worth discussing and keep these forums alive. :)
January 7, 2008, 11:26 AM
Invert
We are all here. Nothing of any significance has changed.
January 8, 2008, 9:58 AM
Mitosis
[quote author=Invert link=topic=17254.msg175719#msg175719 date=1199786294]
We are all here. Nothing of any significance has changed.
[/quote]

/signed
January 9, 2008, 4:46 AM
Yegg
[quote author=Smarter link=topic=17254.msg175692#msg175692 date=1199702692]
[/quote]

I'm not sure the release of Starcraft 2 will spark up much interest. By the time it is released current inactivity could be so strong that no one or most won't feel like getting back into it.

P.S. Your post was long and took up a lot of space, therefore I didn't bother including it.
January 9, 2008, 8:16 PM
l2k-Shadow
Back when I started on battle.net and messing around with programming i was 12, i'm 16 now, battle.net is dead and i lost almost all if not all interest in it... but since when i found these forums (mid 2004), they taught me so much about computer science as i was trying to self-teach myself a lot of things seeing as the school which i go to offers no real computer courses... thanks to battle.net & vL forums i have basically set my life career for myself. i'd say that's pretty damn awesome.
January 9, 2008, 10:28 PM
MyStiCaL
smarter was like 7 when he got on battle.net? lol
January 9, 2008, 11:17 PM
Hostile
Yeah, well a loss of battle.net interest has played alot into any decline in the forum life but as for guests and our members on the forum I'd say we're still here. Alot of the vL members are playing WoW and even though they never really got much of a forum community based off WoW going, they're still here. I'd say the same for programming as well, and well I'm mostly making this up but it seems like this would be one of the sole places to go for bot related information, even if it is a thinning community.
Starcraft 2, its supposed to be based off battle.net right? well ok the only way theyll utilize battle.net is to either make accounts on bnet exclusive to the game (@WAR3) or to change all the other accounts.(I think they should if they plan on using bnet in the future) regardless, If its anything like I think it will be, i plan on getting it.
I personally lost interest in Pre-war3 games. I like WoW but I have no time for it and well most honestly, when you leave WoW as being one of the best geared warlocks server wide and are now not even the max level in the game, you get minorly discouraged. hehe
Warcraft 3 TFT, I still play DotA once in a while. It's one of the few games I enjoy playing on a dime and don't need to worry about basing my schedule around. I planned on getting Unreal Tournament 3 but I don't think that will happen either unfortunately. I got Bioshock and still haven't beaten that so lol;;

On member relations and a vL channel: I still talk with most of us over phone, msn or for some people (cough Grok) I track down on WoW and say Hi to :P
I think we will make a vL channel if enough of us get Starcraft 2, matter of fact I can gaurentee it. I hope theyre almost sick of WoW by that point but its too soon to tell. Something tells me theres always going to be game content for atleast the next 3 years with Wraith of the Lich King coming out and well I seem to remember running through the Emerald Dream on an emulated server a couple years ago. I guess just wait and see. :-)

But... if theres anything I can say to prove that not much has changed, its the fact that UserLoser's mom still calls me when shes had too much to drink. ^^
January 10, 2008, 4:54 AM
Grok
Heh.  Battle.net had its day, and it was fun to carve out a little corner of it for ourselves.  I will be getting Starcraft 2, but will probably keep a private presence on there.  I like the forums here and that people get something out of them.
January 10, 2008, 7:59 AM
Mephisto
*shrug*

I got into professional Warcraft III gaming - It's been a fun ride, and I'll be going to South Korea with some of my team-mates for 6 weeks in March again, it'll be pretty exciting.  And I'm anxiously awaiting SCII.

P.S. Long time since I've been here, hasn't seemed to change a bit!
January 10, 2008, 4:53 PM
UserLoser
[quote author=UserLoser link=topic=17254.msg175689#msg175689 date=1199691227]
[/quote]

damn was i fucked up when i posted this thread or what
January 11, 2008, 9:46 AM
JoeTheOdd
[quote author=UserLoser link=topic=17254.msg175748#msg175748 date=1200044784]
[quote author=UserLoser link=topic=17254.msg175689#msg175689 date=1199691227]
[/quote]

damn was i fucked up when i posted this thread or what
[/quote]

I was wondering that myself but I wasn't going to say anything. :)
January 11, 2008, 4:05 PM
Hostile
[quote author=Grok link=topic=17254.msg175740#msg175740 date=1199951988]
Heh.  Battle.net had its day, and it was fun to carve out a little corner of it for ourselves.  I will be getting Starcraft 2, but will probably keep a private presence on there.  I like the forums here and that people get something out of them.
[/quote]

Only if I can be Bunny Hop this time.  :-*
January 17, 2008, 4:04 PM
ioSys
I am here some times a week reading but not writing = not being noticed, but still I am here.  :)

I work mainly with webdeveloping and is hanging out on a swedish forum http://www.aspsidan.se.
January 27, 2008, 8:31 AM
Denial
hmm i guess i cant reply here as well cause i dont really come here anymore either.
February 1, 2008, 2:58 AM

Search