Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Computer Support Issues | USB ports and monitor get no power

AuthorMessageTime
UserLoser
None of my USB ports get power, the light for my Ethernet cable does not light up, and my monitor claims it has no signal input.  One day I came home from work and this is what I saw.  What is wrong?  Motherboard?  Why?

This guy on these forums sounds like same exact issue I got
October 31, 2007, 11:44 PM
squiggly
[quote author=UserLoser link=topic=17140.msg174424#msg174424 date=1193874297]
None of my USB ports get power, the light for my Ethernet cable does not light up, and my monitor claims it has no signal input.  One day I came home from work and this is what I saw.  What is wrong?  Motherboard?  Why?

[/quote]

Did you check the inputs on your motherboard? They might've shorted or gotten loose or frayed or something
November 1, 2007, 12:23 AM
Barabajagal
The most common cause of such occurances is a bad power supply at the root of the problem. Check all connections (as squiggly said), and try replacing the power supply if everything is snug.
November 1, 2007, 12:38 AM
UserLoser
Guess I'll have to test the power supply and swap it out.  All the fans and everything work, just no USB ports/monitor.  There is a little green light that does light up on the motherboard, and there are no beeps when you turn it on.
November 1, 2007, 11:32 PM
UserLoser
[quote author=squiggly link=topic=17140.msg174426#msg174426 date=1193876613]
[quote author=UserLoser link=topic=17140.msg174424#msg174424 date=1193874297]

[/quote]

Did you check the inputs on your motherboard? They might've shorted or gotten loose or frayed or something
[/quote]

Yeah and I unplugged everything last night and rewired it back up hoping I'd somehow fix the issue, but didn't work.  My computer been dead now since mid-September I just haven't had time/care enough to fix it.  Now I'm starting to miss playing CS Source so I gotta fix it.

Are power supplies motherboard specific or are they really all the same and can be swapped in/out of most PCs?  I got three computers in the basement one of which I don't use and the other is running 24/7 doing nothing but holding files (i.e. pics/videos, you get the idea, and some music)
November 1, 2007, 11:33 PM
Barabajagal
As long as they're all ATX (Post 1995 era ;D) They should be the same. Some of the newer MoBo's also require a 12 volt expansion (little 4 pin square thing), but most all of today's power supplies have those too.
November 2, 2007, 12:04 AM
UserLoser
K, thanks.  I'll let you guys know what happen when I get around to it today.
November 2, 2007, 2:30 PM
UserLoser
Power supply was culprit, I'm back on my computer now! +1 to all  8)
November 3, 2007, 9:34 AM

Search