Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Hosting multiple domains' email with Exchange Server on one server...

AuthorMessageTime
Myndfyr
Allright, this seems like it should be a simple question, but as I've learned from work, there are lots of complications when it comes to Exchange....

Let's say I have a dedicated server somewhere, say robpaveza.net.  (This is not currently a dedicated server.)  I install Exchange Server 2007 on there, and set up robpaveza.net as a domain, transforming the server into an AD domain controller (I guess I'd have to do that the other way around). 

I've got a series of clients, and they all want to have their own organizational setups of e-mail, i.e., I shouldn't come up in Client A's global address list when using Outlook Web Access, and Client A shouldn't come up in Client B.  Obviously I can set up the MX records to send requests for my clients' domains to robpaveza.net.  The question is - can Exchange be configured in this way?  Does it require separate machines because of multiple Active Directory instance inside of a forest?

I ask because I have several clients who really like having OWA, and I think it's pretty nice, but I don't think I can cost-justify having multiple machines just for a couple e-mail accounts and OWA.
October 16, 2007, 3:15 AM
Grok
I'd like to know the answer to this as well.  On Valhalla Legends mail server, I have serveral email domains hosted, but they all share the same users list.  That is the users in the Active Directory to which it is linked.  For each user I simply create an email address in the domain they need, in the Exchange tabs of the user properties.  Seems wrong, or klunky, to me.  I'd prefer to have distinct users for each domain, and have those users be clearly different logins, and all domains served by the same Exchange server.

[MyExchangeServer]
  [@domain1.example.com]
      [bob@domain1.example.com]
      [sue@domain1.example.com]
  [@domain2.example.com]
      [bob@domain2.example.com]
      [ted@domain2.example.com]
      [jan@domain2.example.com]
  [@domain3.example.com]
      [joe@domain3.example.com]
      [ted@domain3.example.com]
      [van@domain3.example.com]

Where this is 8 distinct users, not just 6.
October 22, 2007, 3:16 AM
Trouble
http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2006/11/16/431531.aspx

dunno if that helps. but i believe it goes over trying to create individual domain clusters
November 30, 2007, 4:16 PM

Search