Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Computer Support Issues | Unsecured Wireless Networks

AuthorMessageTime
MysT_DooM
Well I just bought a Macbook.

It has built in wireless stuff.

Im using the thing called Airport on it, to access wireless networks in my range. 

I found one which didn't require any password, hence it was unsecured. 

and now I use it.  8)

dont worry though, I use a VPN and when using usernames/pws I make sure the site is using https or other encryption methods.

However....does anyone know the law behind accessing wireless networks which arn't urs?  I've searched quite a bit and there isnt really a concrete answer given.
Plus if the guy doesnt even know how to enable protection on his network I doubt he or she would know how to lookup whos on the network.
BUT, if they do know how to look up whos on the network, what can they actually do to that users, this goes back to the law part of it.

on a side note, these macbooks are freakin cool, id recommend em for college students; its real quiet so perfect for during lectures.
October 7, 2007, 5:29 PM
rabbit
Network operators are responsible for all traffic on their network(s).  If it is unsecured, it is technically a public network, and you can do whatever you want.
October 7, 2007, 8:05 PM
Kp
Applicable law varies widely.  There have been some cases where individuals were prosecuted for unauthorized access to an unsecured wireless network.  Most non-technical users tend to think of an unsecured wireless network as being akin to a house with an open door: easy to get into, but still trespassing.  Unless you want to count on getting an informed jury / prosecutor, my advice is not to use that network.
October 7, 2007, 8:07 PM
iago
Using an unsecured network is technically illegal, and can be considered trespassing on a computer network. It is fairly easy to trace somebody doing it, if the router's owner is so inclined, and the punishment can be harsh. I don't recommend it.
October 7, 2007, 10:52 PM
MysT_DooM
[quote author=rabbit link=topic=17089.msg173686#msg173686 date=1191787536]
Network operators are responsible for all traffic on their network(s).  If it is unsecured, it is technically a public network, and you can do whatever you want.
[/quote]

[quote author=iago link=topic=17089.msg173688#msg173688 date=1191797572]
Using an unsecured network is technically illegal, and can be considered trespassing on a computer network. It is fairly easy to trace somebody doing it, if the router's owner is so inclined, and the punishment can be harsh. I don't recommend it.
[/quote]

One saying it is technically ok, and other saying technically not ok.

Im probably just going to leave it alone
October 7, 2007, 11:03 PM
JoeTheOdd
Taking into account that it's iago and Kp vs rabbit, I'm with you.
October 20, 2007, 5:21 AM
rabbit
And taking into account that we live in different countries where [internet] laws are usually different, I'd go with where you live.
October 20, 2007, 1:25 PM
iago
In the US and Canada, it's illegal. Period. I don't know about other countries.
October 20, 2007, 3:16 PM
Kp
[quote author=rabbit link=topic=17089.msg174030#msg174030 date=1192886752]
And taking into account that we live in different countries where [internet] laws are usually different, I'd go with where you live.
[/quote]

That claim might hold if you were the one advocating caution and we were advocating that he use it.  However, you are advising him to take actions which may be illegal based on the belief that he might live in a jurisdiction where those actions are not illegal.
October 21, 2007, 5:56 PM
Ishbar
It's only illegal where people press charges.
Obviously if someone doesn't have the right mind to put a password on their router (which is prompted upon installation) they more likely than not won't take notice of your free ride.

A friend of a friend has been doing it for 2 and a half years, lucky him the user upgraded to a higher tier of cable!
7 Mb/s here they come! :-P
October 22, 2007, 4:49 AM
iago
[quote author=Ishbar link=topic=17089.msg174071#msg174071 date=1193028549]
It's only illegal where people press charges.
[/quote]
So is burglary and assault.

[quote author=Ishbar link=topic=17089.msg174071#msg174071 date=1193028549]
Obviously if someone doesn't have the right mind to put a password on their router (which is prompted upon installation) they more likely than not won't take notice of your free ride.

A friend of a friend has been doing it for 2 and a half years, lucky him the user upgraded to a higher tier of cable!
7 Mb/s here they come! :-P
[/quote]
I don't have a password on my router, but I routinely check who's using it and what they're doing. So it may not always be quite so simple.
October 22, 2007, 4:57 AM
rabbit
[quote author=Kp link=topic=17089.msg174054#msg174054 date=1192989403]
[quote author=rabbit link=topic=17089.msg174030#msg174030 date=1192886752]
[/quote]

That claim might hold if you were the one advocating caution and we were advocating that he use it.  However, you are advising him to take actions which may be illegal based on the belief that he might live in a jurisdiction where those actions are not illegal.
[/quote]I never said "do it", I just stated one possible option (of course, he could always not do it).
October 28, 2007, 1:24 PM
MrRaza
BackTrack 2.

8)
December 19, 2007, 7:05 PM

Search