Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | ZombieMeter.org

AuthorMessageTime
iago
Me and a couple co-workers put together a site called zombiemeter.org (http://www.zombiemeter.org/index.php). Basically, the goal is to watch the news for zombie activities and report on them. It's actually been a lot of fun to write it, and should be just as much fun to read it.

It also has an RSS Feed if you're into that kind of thing.

Enjoy!
October 3, 2007, 8:35 PM
Invert
???
October 3, 2007, 11:27 PM
Disco
Awesome.
October 3, 2007, 11:44 PM
inner.
Zombies don't exist.
October 5, 2007, 10:06 PM
Quarantine
you must be one of those kids who goes around spoiling christmas huh genius
October 6, 2007, 12:23 AM
shout
Awesome.
October 6, 2007, 3:58 AM
Sixen
Interesting.
October 6, 2007, 4:05 AM
JoeTheOdd
[quote author=inner.de link=topic=17082.msg173610#msg173610 date=1191621960]
Zombies don't exist.
[/quote]

Don't make me screenshot the plaguelands.
October 6, 2007, 7:30 AM
iago
The government keeps telling us that zombies don't exist. Do you believe them?

Personally, I'd rather collect evidence and make my own conclusions. That's what this site is about!
October 7, 2007, 1:36 AM
warz
Just curious... do you all write up the comments, such as "According to ZombieMeter analysts, these shots through the heads may be an indication that the men had become zombies, and the rest of the information may have been falsified as part of a coverup," for each of those aggregated news articles, or does it do them automatically?
October 9, 2007, 5:49 AM
iago
The entire story as written is manual, nothing is automatic.

Is that a serious question or are you making fun of the fact that I'm repetitive? I guess I typically fall into the same format I use for my work-related writing, which is very methodical and redundant and repetitive and redundant and repe... well, you get the point.
October 9, 2007, 3:54 PM
warz
[quote author=iago link=topic=17082.msg173726#msg173726 date=1191945240]
The entire story as written is manual, nothing is automatic.

Is that a serious question or are you making fun of the fact that I'm repetitive? I guess I typically fall into the same format I use for my work-related writing, which is very methodical and redundant and repetitive and redundant and repe... well, you get the point.[/quote]

Nope, it was serious. A site I'm working on will need to do some automated analysis of sentences, and classify them as a positive, or negative, response (for or against some topic). If the summaries on your site had been automated, I would have been pretty impressed, and probably would be begging to know how you did it. :P

I've got a few ideas in mind, as to how I'll do what I need to. I've just been busy and haven't reached that point with my site, yet.
October 9, 2007, 3:56 PM
iago
Ok, cool. I'm glad I only sound half automated. :P

The difficulty with stories on ZombieMeter.org is that they take a fair amount of creativity. Linking a murder or random environmental event to zombies isn't really something that can be automated, although that would make a pretty interesting project in AI (feeding it possible causes and symptoms of zombies, and let it troll through the news... hmm.....)
October 9, 2007, 6:52 PM
warz
[quote author=iago link=topic=17082.msg173730#msg173730 date=1191955948]although that would make a pretty interesting project in AI (feeding it possible causes and symptoms of zombies, and let it troll through the news... hmm.....)
[/quote]

That's what I thought it was, at first. I was pretty blown away. But now I know it's just you! :P
October 9, 2007, 7:12 PM
iago
[quote author=betawarz link=topic=17082.msg173732#msg173732 date=1191957143]
That's what I thought it was, at first. I was pretty blown away. But now I know it's just you! :P
[/quote]
What I meant was, that's exactly what it does, but I'm charging $1000 for the source.

Disclaimer: no guarantee I'll send you anything.
October 9, 2007, 9:14 PM
warz
hehe. implementing an aggregator for news content takes only a few minutes to do. my site already grabs news articles from dozens of feeds. the automated categorization of sentences, and stuff, based on their contents, is what i'm trying to do.

i'm using python, and there's several modules out there that supposedly do things similar to this - one, even, that supposedly does exactly this. i have yet to play with them though. i haven't touched my site in a few months. :(
October 9, 2007, 10:53 PM
Denial
[quote author=iago link=topic=17082.msg173735#msg173735 date=1191964451]
[quote author=betawarz link=topic=17082.msg173732#msg173732 date=1191957143]
[/quote]
What I meant was, that's exactly what it does, but I'm charging $1000 for the source.

Disclaimer: no guarantee I'll send you anything.
[/quote]

You got a deal. but no guarantee the money will be real or the money is real.
October 10, 2007, 9:06 AM
iago
[quote author=betawarz link=topic=17082.msg173744#msg173744 date=1191970405]
hehe. implementing an aggregator for news content takes only a few minutes to do. my site already grabs news articles from dozens of feeds. the automated categorization of sentences, and stuff, based on their contents, is what i'm trying to do.

i'm using python, and there's several modules out there that supposedly do things similar to this - one, even, that supposedly does exactly this. i have yet to play with them though. i haven't touched my site in a few months. :(
[/quote]
I actually wrote a program that categorizes Slashdot stories into science, politics, and IT. It used a Bayesian filter (much like spam filters use). You might be able to adapt it, if you felt inclined. I'm pretty sure I still have the code.
October 10, 2007, 2:36 PM
warz
Yeah. I have a Bayesian filter module that I've been waiting to play with. That's one of the things that I've found that might work. :P
October 10, 2007, 3:50 PM

Search