Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Programming | Anyone ever looked at the following world of warcraft stuff in a debugger?

AuthorMessageTime
warz
Alliance translation of orcish speech? It must be possible, because it'd fall into one of those replicable categories. The client obviously does it as well. Unless the server does it, and sends it to the client encoded in orcish, or whatever.
September 23, 2007, 11:22 PM
Myndfyr
To the best of my knowledge, the client is what obfuscates speech.  The client essentially hashes each word that comes in and selects a word based on a dictionary stored in a .dbc file.  Consequently it's irreversible, but as a note, it does come over the wire in plaintext.
September 23, 2007, 11:27 PM
warz
damn, lame.
September 23, 2007, 11:34 PM
dRAgoN
there used to be a way to enabled you to see what they were saying, which worked in the same way to change certain imagery. It had something to do with that text file Myndfyre is speaking of, all I remember is that the game used to read folders within the install directory befor it loaded the mpq's folder paths and used the files you added instead of the ones in the mpq and loaded what was missing from the mpq, I think all that had to be done was adding that text with no data within it but I dont remember.

In the end you were able to see everything that had been said on the opposite side though if you were alliance the undead's text was still unreadable.
September 26, 2007, 10:31 PM
warz
Well, it sounds like it'd be possible, but would require hacking wow a little. I don't really care enough to deal with all that, because I'm sure it'd eventually lead me to warden.
September 26, 2007, 11:02 PM

Search