Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Effexor

AuthorMessageTime
warz
Does anyone on here take Effexor, or has tried it? It's an anti-depressant, and prescribed for anxiety too. My doctor gave me a four week trial of it, and warned me not to quit it "cold turkey," because it has some nasty withdrawal side effects. I came home and did some research and have decided not to try it, because all I read were horrible things. lol.

Wondering if anyone has tried it.
September 12, 2007, 11:19 PM
Invert
[quote author=betawarz link=topic=17020.msg172681#msg172681 date=1189639140]
Does anyone on here take Effexor, or has tried it? It's an anti-depressant, and prescribed for anxiety too. My doctor gave me a four week trial of it, and warned me not to quit it "cold turkey," because it has some nasty withdrawal side effects. I came home and did some research and have decided not to try it, because all I read were horrible things. lol.

Wondering if anyone has tried it.
[/quote]

Good thing you did some research. Please don't take any anti-depressants; they will hurt you in the long run. How good can it be to mess with your brains chemicals?
There are many other drug free ways to deal with depression.
September 13, 2007, 12:39 AM
Hostile
Namely; exercise, sunshine and drinking water(well, I'm not sure if drinking water helps or not but its just a good thing to do if you're exercising out in the sun :p)
September 13, 2007, 1:06 AM
TehUser
Don't listen to these retarded Scientologists.  Psychiatry has a legitimate place in its understanding of brain function.  If you have an anxiety disorder or depression or any of a number of disorders, psychiatric medication can be a godsend.  Despite the fact that Effexor in particular can have some nasty side effects, they've been judged reasonable for the benefit that they provide.  As much as I hate the overprescription of medications today, there's absolutely no reason someone with a legitimate need shouldn't take them.  Sometimes it's necessary to use something synthetic to get neurochemistry back to normal.  Rather than listen to the moronic suggestions of people without M.D.s (hint: exercise and sunshine don't cure depression), listen to your doctor.  If you have concerns about the side effects, talk to your doctor.  More often than not, they'll be willing to give you something else with similar function.  Just bear in mind that there's a reason he chose Effexor to begin with.
September 13, 2007, 1:55 AM
warz
during my visit with him, i had mentioned Effexor because a few people my parents are friends with take it, and love it. while the doctor was out of the room, grabbing the medicine, i read what was on his computer monitor and he had Zoloft written down. after he returned with Effexor, he erased Zoloft, and switched it. i hope my mentioning of Effexor didn't change his decision at all. from what i read, it sounds like Zoloft didn't have as much of an effect on people, sounding a little lighter weight. i don't know, these medicines all seem to have whack side effects.

i don't have depression, although it's a common thing with anxiety. i just have anxiety about school, and things. i get short of breath sometimes in class, and sometimes feel like leaving the room. I have done some reading about the B vitamins, too. They seem to help with anxiety, and depression. I went out and bought some Fish Oil pills, and some other B vitamin pills. I'm going to try them out before making the progression to Effexor.
September 13, 2007, 4:24 AM
Barabajagal
Eat more bananas? They have vitamin everything :P
September 13, 2007, 5:27 AM
Grok
[quote author=betawarz link=topic=17020.msg172695#msg172695 date=1189657465]
during my visit with him, i had mentioned Effexor because a few people my parents are friends with take it, and love it. while the doctor was out of the room, grabbing the medicine, i read what was on his computer monitor and he had Zoloft written down. after he returned with Effexor, he erased Zoloft, and switched it. i hope my mentioning of Effexor didn't change his decision at all. from what i read, it sounds like Zoloft didn't have as much of an effect on people, sounding a little lighter weight. i don't know, these medicines all seem to have whack side effects.
[/quote]

I would guess you mentioning it absolutely had an effect.  Years back I worked for a home health care agency that provided specialized care for a certain class of patients.  They taught their patients to "ask your doctor if there's any reason you should not be taking XXXX".  While this leaves the decision in the doctor's hands, and thus the nurses are not practicing medicine, it leaves the doctor open to lawsuits if they don't prescribe what the patient asked for, if that drug was also appropriate to treat them.

Listen to the pharmaceutical commercials, they always recommend you talk to your doctor "about drugs such as ours in your treatment plan."
September 13, 2007, 7:13 AM

Search