Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Programming | Dealing with Media Files

AuthorMessageTime
Barabajagal
As some of you may know, I've got a media player program I've been working on for many years. Recently, I decided to add icons for every possible file type, which lead to adding new file types. My media player should now support the following types:
3GP, 3G2, M4A, M4P, MP4, AAC, QT, MOV, AIF, AIFC, AIFF, APE, ASF, ASX, AU, SND, AVI, CDA, DAT (more on this below), FLAC, FLV, IVF, MPE, MPEG, MPG, M1V, MPV2, MP2V, MP2, MP3, MPA, M4V, MID, MIDI, RMI, MKV, MPC, OFR, OGG, OGM, RM, RA, RAM, RMM, RV, SWF, SPL, TTA, VFW, WAV, WM, WMX, WMA, WAX, WMP, WMV, and WVX.

So far, I have tested 3GP, 3G2, AAC, FLV, M4A, M4V, MPA, MPE, MPEG, MPG, MP3, MP4, AIF, WAV, WMA, Music CDs (CDA), Video CDS (DAT) ASF, and AVI.

If anyone has files of the extensions listed in the "should be supported" list that I haven't tested, please send them to me so I can test my player!

Also, I'm trying to find a way to deal with VCDs and their DAT files correctly. I don't want to associate DAT files with my media player, since DATs are such a common extension. If anyone has any ideas about this, I'd love to know. Same with Enhanced CDs that have audio without showing CDA files... I'm not sure what to do about them either. I'm using DirectShow to do all of this, using cddareader.ax and cdxareader.ax for CDs and VCDs respectively, both of which were made by Gabest.
August 2, 2007, 9:47 PM
Yegg
.DAT files related to videos should have some kind of standard header I'm assuming, or something inside that is the same for all of them? If so, why not read a particular section of the .DAT file to determine if it is for video?
August 3, 2007, 2:02 AM
Barabajagal
they have RIFF as the first four characters, but I can't set a file association using that... associations are by file extension, not contents. It's one of the main things I have against Windows.
August 3, 2007, 7:00 PM

Search