Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | .NET Platform | Source Sharing Software

AuthorMessageTime
DDA-TriCk-E
Are there any applications (plugins) available for C# that can manage your code online so multiple users may work on it simultaneously.  We need one that can lock a file when a specific user works on it, then unlock it once they are done.  Possibly one that is freeware also?
July 18, 2007, 9:39 AM
K
subversion is an open source version control system that is rather popular.  With SVN, you checkout a local copy of the code, make your changes, and commit them back.  If someone else has modified the file that you are trying to commit, SVN will either merge the changes for you or inform you that there is a conflict that you need to resolve.  SVN does provide locking mechanisms in case you don't wish to use the first-commit wins / merge strategy.

CVS is another popular FOSS version control system, but I've never used it.  I believe it also uses "unreserved" checkouts.
Visual SourceSafe is a Microsoft product that I've also never used.  I will blindly guess that it uses reserved checkouts.
July 18, 2007, 4:57 PM
St0rm.iD
The Microsoft answer for .NET is Visual Studio Team System.
But SVN is cheaper (free). Look at Subversion and Trac.
July 18, 2007, 8:34 PM
DDA-TriCk-E
What package am I supposed to use to add these features to C# express IDE?  My server already has SVN installed under Linux distro.  Am I supposed to use Trac to connect to the SVN configuration?
July 18, 2007, 11:50 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=Chriso link=topic=16892.msg171088#msg171088 date=1184802622]
What package am I supposed to use to add these features to C# express IDE?  My server already has SVN installed under Linux distro.  Am I supposed to use Trac to connect to the SVN configuration?
[/quote]I do not believe that VC# Express utilizes source control plugins.

I use TortoiseSVN at work for our SVN projects, and VS 2005 Professional Edition with Visual SourceSafe integrated.
July 19, 2007, 1:57 AM
DDA-TriCk-E
I thought Visual SourceSafe costs thousands of dollars?  I also have VC# Professional, I just choose to use VC# Express cos it runs faster on Vista ;\
July 19, 2007, 4:00 AM
Myndfyr
[quote author=Chriso link=topic=16892.msg171095#msg171095 date=1184817601]
I thought Visual SourceSafe costs thousands of dollars?  I also have VC# Professional, I just choose to use VC# Express cos it runs faster on Vista ;\
[/quote]
Amazon has it for $500.

I rather like SourceSafe's tight integration to Visual Studio, but the locking mechanism is sometimes irritating.  It's definitely easier on our production team than Subversion.  But the devs are pretty good about either system.
July 20, 2007, 6:44 AM
DDA-TriCk-E
I remember using SourceVault in the past, we somehow had a free version though.  It was nice, you'd sign in and lock out a file so only you could work on it, only problem was when you just closed the application the locked files remained locked.  But I can't seem to find a free version of this software anymore :S
July 20, 2007, 11:45 AM
St0rm.iD
dont use visual sourcesafe. it's old, outdated, and sucks.
July 22, 2007, 3:56 AM
Smarter
It wasn't a free version, it was a paid version I had a key for, I could find all that information again I bet, if you want chriso?
September 26, 2007, 1:13 PM
Camel
This thread is 2 months old, and VSS still sucks. Use SVN; it's free.
September 27, 2007, 3:43 AM

Search