Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Programming | OGG tag gui display

AuthorMessageTime
Barabajagal
If you know how OGG tags work, skip this first paragraph.... For those of you that don't, here's a basic rundown: Every field is stored as FIELD=Data, where FIELD is the information's name (title, artist, album, etc...), and Data is the value of that information (Wish You Were Here, Pink Floyd, etc...). A little extra feature is the ability to have multiples of the same field... for example: Help The Poor by B.B. King and Eric Clapton would have PERFORMER=B.B. King PERFORMER=Eric Clapton, and it should be displayed something like "Performer: B.B. King, Eric Clapton". Rather handy, but also rather annoying.

My problem is how to save tags with a good GUI (which will of course, change how they're displayed in loading as well). I was originally going to do a text box that would split fields by ", " and store each one in a separate tag. The problem with that is titles such as "Guillemots - Annie, Let's Not Wait". Then I thought of adding an illegal character in between things when loading (such as 0x0128), replacing the character with ", " on display, but that gives me no way to save any edits reliably. So my question is not actually about how to code, but rather how to display this so it's easy for a user to edit the tag data, and when it saves, it'll save artists, genres, etc in separate fields if they're supposed to be in separate fields. Anyone got any ideas?
June 24, 2007, 1:24 AM
K
There are a couple things you could do -- treat each field as a listbox and let the user add/remove values from the list.

My preference would be a GUI similar to the one you can use for creating Message Filters in a mail client...

Something like:
[img]http://reznor.homelinux.net/~ledbettj/misc/ui2.png[/img]

where clicking "remove" removes that value from the field and clicking "add" allows you to add an additional value for that field.

June 24, 2007, 3:21 AM

Search