Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Web Development | Django?

AuthorMessageTime
warz
Does anyone in here use Django, or Python even, for web apps? I've been working with it for a few days, and it's a very cool framework. Just curious if anyone else has tried it, or Ruby on Rails. Maybe we can get a comparisons thread going on, here.
June 5, 2007, 11:02 PM
St0rm.iD
Right now, Django and ColdFusion are what I use to make web apps. I'm holding out for ASP.NET and IronPython running well on Mono, though :)

I like stacks that give you a lot for free, like what Django and CF give you. Yes, Rails makes it easy to make web apps, but it doesn't give you very many standard components (ala admin interface) like CF and Django do.

Also, I'm not sold on the idea of ORMs being a Good Thing.
June 6, 2007, 2:12 AM
warz
Right now it feels like Django is a whole lot to take in - even after reading the tutorial, and creating the poll app, on djangoproject.com. I felt like I had a great understand of the framework, do I deleted my poll app that I had created during the tutorial process, and was going to make an attempt at something cool. I feel lost all  over again, though. haha.

I think it'll just take me some time, and a lot of messing around.
June 6, 2007, 3:15 AM
warz
Jesus, Django is awesome. :)
June 16, 2007, 2:15 AM
St0rm.iD
yeah, does a lot for you automatically. though i am not quite a big fan of its ORM, or its static content config. oh well
June 16, 2007, 6:36 AM
warz
Well, it took a little while to get used to, but I think once you have it down it really is useful.
June 20, 2007, 5:38 PM

Search