Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Computer Support Issues | Windows Crash.

AuthorMessageTime
MyStiCaL

The other day my windows crashed, so i forced shutdown & restarted, Windows would not load and instead i was stuck in the BOOTMENU, so i decided to toss in my (WindowsXP Install, Reinstall, Fix) CD, After that, i was able to REFORMAT my drive, which sadly took 8 hours, I then continued to reinstall, while it was copying files over from the CD I'd get errors like "Cannot Copy FileName.Extension" so then i deleted the parition and tried to start from scratch, came up with new problems, like "cannot create folder: C:\Windows" after several attempts, I got it to finnally start installing but as FAT32 and not NFTS Or i forghet whats its called, then it wanted to automaticly convert all files to NFTS, after about 5 hours, it crashed, now im just getting frustrated, I even used my Driver CD that came with my comp. not much help.

when i start up the comp this is a error i get

NTLDR is Missing.
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.

my computer specs were

System:  Gateway
Proccessor:  2.0ghz
Memory:      256mb
HardDrive:    40gb
March 24, 2007, 1:46 AM
Barabajagal
Get your hard drive to a friend's computer and have him completely format it within Windows. If you can, use PartitionMagic to wipe it completely (do the long format, if you can). NTLDR is a core component of the NTFS file system (yes, I realize that's redundant), and should be part of Windows 2000 and XP. It's possible that your hard drive has some corrupt sectors, and in turn has corrupted NTLDR or some of its components.
March 24, 2007, 4:09 AM
MyStiCaL
I have no way to do that, infact all my friends don't even know how to run a computer or even really know how to turn one on.
March 24, 2007, 4:19 AM
Barabajagal
What are you on right now? Can you use it to do what I suggested?
March 24, 2007, 4:28 AM
MyStiCaL
I'm on my Brother labtop. no time to use it anywho, got like 30 mins before he leaves.
March 24, 2007, 4:40 AM
Barabajagal
oh. Well, you need to get that drive formatted and checked for errors. Figure out a way.
March 24, 2007, 4:42 AM
MyStiCaL
I formatted using the prompt on startup screen, i formatted like 5 times, long and short versions even tryied to delete the partion and created a new partion nope, pile of crap!!

If i don't figure it out, my times run out on the web haha.

EDIT: Sad, I realized it was soon after firefox updated when my computer crashed.
March 24, 2007, 4:46 AM
Barabajagal
Find a way to run chkdsk on it.
March 24, 2007, 4:51 AM
MyStiCaL
ok, some how i got it to install partial ahaha, I still have a Harddrive Error i'll get the error number specs post it shortly, uhg.
March 25, 2007, 7:17 AM
Barabajagal
Run CHKDSK! (get into the command prompt, type chkdsk /r and hit enter. It'll ask if you wanna run it on the next startup. hit Y and enter. Then restart your computer so it can scan and fix drive errors. When it's done, it'll give you statistics about the drive, including the number of bad sectors.
March 25, 2007, 8:16 PM
MyStiCaL
I did that the other day, it just told me i had errors and did nothing.
March 25, 2007, 10:22 PM
Barabajagal
did you use /r? that attempts to fix the errors or move the bad sectors out. If it didn't help, you need a new hard drive.
March 25, 2007, 10:23 PM
MyStiCaL
done it, now it just says there's no errors, but i still have an error on startup.
March 26, 2007, 12:54 AM
Barabajagal
Do a completely clean install of windows. Full reformat in NTFS (not quick). The works.
March 26, 2007, 4:06 AM
JoeTheOdd
I forgot how much it sucks to not have access to the insides of about ~20 old computers in your school. :P
March 26, 2007, 9:06 AM
MyStiCaL
Why are you talkin about school computers? I've been out of school for uhm since 2002. anywho, I did full long term reformat and all that crap, it failed to install Proset II for some reason still have the error though.
March 26, 2007, 9:10 AM
Barabajagal
hmm... maybe your cd's dirty. I have a feeling your hard drive's gone bad though.
March 26, 2007, 9:11 AM
MyStiCaL
Probley, thats what im assuming, it was only 40gb and i had everything i could ever think of on it, basicly it was almost maxed out at the time of the crash, so maybe in a few weeks or somthing, buy some new/more memory and a new harddrive, slap it in, loader up.

CD's not dirty, cleaned it still looks like new, just uhg, comps getting old.
March 26, 2007, 9:14 AM
Barabajagal
http://newegg.com <-- make yourself a new computer, then save it in a wishlist and work up for it [don't forget to update it with better items if it takes longer than about a month to get enough cash].
March 26, 2007, 9:16 AM
MyStiCaL
that'd be cool down the line, but #1 on my wish list is sellin my escalde and getting a brand new one or suburban so sexy.
March 26, 2007, 9:23 AM

Search