Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Gaming Discussion | Awesome Guild Wars video

AuthorMessageTime
crankycefx
http://files.filefront.com/QQvsEW_XviDavi/;6973148;;/fileinfo.html

Video of two of the top teams from Guild Wars [EW], and [QQ], fighting it out in Round 6 of the Celestial Tournament.

Pretty intense video and a well done FRAPs of the match, with music.
Watch for the 26 minute mark and the start the black parade song.
March 19, 2007, 10:57 PM
l2k-Shadow
Unfortunately Guild Wars is turning into WoW http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2648062#post2648062 Although i have 2.4k fame and ready to get my FoW armor from doing domain of anguish for the past 2 months.. still.
March 22, 2007, 3:04 AM
Newby
WoW rules.
March 22, 2007, 6:01 PM
Invert
WoW is boring; IMO.

GW2 will not have a fee so it's not turning into WoW.
March 23, 2007, 7:18 AM
Newby
[quote author=Invert link=topic=16506.msg167086#msg167086 date=1174634326]
WoW is boring; IMO.

GW2 will not have a fee so it's not turning into WoW.
[/quote]

Good logic right there, chap.

You could have also said "GW2 will not be as fun as WoW" and been right.
March 23, 2007, 4:37 PM
Invert
[quote author=Newby link=topic=16506.msg167106#msg167106 date=1174667868]
Good logic right there, chap.

You could have also said "GW2 will not be as fun as WoW" and been right.
[/quote]

What are you talking about? You ignoramus.

I played WoW; IN MY OPINION it is boring.

Then, I start a completely new train of thought saying that GW2 will not have a monthly fee which is a major part of WoW thus GW2 is not becoming like WoW.
March 23, 2007, 5:07 PM
Quarantine
How's Guild Wars? How does it differ from WoW?
March 23, 2007, 8:25 PM
Invert
[quote author=Warrior link=topic=16506.msg167128#msg167128 date=1174681551]
How's Guild Wars? How does it differ from WoW?
[/quote]

You can't jump. Invisible walls.  The entire game is instanced. No monthly fee.

I found it boring after a while, went back to WoW, and found that boring as well. Now, I am waiting for the Warhammer MMO or Conan.
March 24, 2007, 12:12 AM
crankycefx
GW is boring unless you're a PvP'er, and someone who can actually think about numbers in a video game and do math.

Shadow, what guild are you with?
I mostly play with high level pvp'ers.  I played with Te back in the day and who were known as honk.
iQ is doing really well in the Celestial Tournament.
QQ just dissapeared...sorta, from losing, lol.
March 25, 2007, 1:52 AM
l2k-Shadow
I used to be into PvP a lot until my fast cast air spike guild rubies and sapphires [RnS] split from not going to germany for the factions championship... and HA turned 6 man and took away all the fun builds like blood spike, EOE BOMB :D, etc.. . Now I mostly PvE in domain of anguish, but it payed of, just got my fissure armor today. As far as GW vs WoW debate, I played both games and I must say I prefer GW over WoW in many different ways. I like the fact GW has a story line... I like the game play that each party gets their own copy of the map, I like that you don't have to wait for boss respawn before you can kill him and the first few levels aren't boring as hell.. to start.
[IMG]http://www.energydl.com/shadow/gw/gw272.jpg[/img]
March 26, 2007, 12:25 AM
l2k-Shadow
w00t Hall of Heroes is going back to 8 person. looks like i'll start pvping again.
March 28, 2007, 3:51 AM
crankycefx
Shadow, what's your ign?
I just started playing again.

also, I'm going to start working on reversing GW and some other stuff while I learn c++.

Anyone interested?
March 31, 2007, 12:45 AM
l2k-Shadow
[quote author=cefx- link=topic=16506.msg167465#msg167465 date=1175301905]
Shadow, what's your ign?
I just started playing again.

also, I'm going to start working on reversing GW and some other stuff while I learn c++.

Anyone interested?
[/quote]

lol, check out my names:

Rocket Of Love, I Like To Be Abused, Playboy Playgirl, Ride Me Like A Pony, Give It To Me Honey, The King Dong

:P

And i really have such a respect for GW as an amazing game, I have no interest in trying to reverse it, it's awesome as it is.
March 31, 2007, 3:27 AM
Quarantine
You must not have played WoW a lot if you think WoW has no storyline..lol.
March 31, 2007, 5:43 PM
Barabajagal
No games today have storylines which directly relate to the gameplay. Nobody cares about it anymore. People keep saying Halo's got a great storyline, what with the books and all, but you still just go around killing things, despite the appearance of having a story to follow. That's why if I ever play a game, it's usually Chrono Trigger, Tales of Phantasia, or another equally well made but "outdated" game.
March 31, 2007, 5:58 PM
l2k-Shadow
Guild Wars has a great story line.. and the gameplay actually reflects on it.
March 31, 2007, 7:03 PM
Barabajagal
Do your actions change the story's outcome?
March 31, 2007, 7:40 PM
l2k-Shadow
[quote author=[RealityRipple] link=topic=16506.msg167490#msg167490 date=1175370035]
Do your actions change the story's outcome?
[/quote]

Depends if you win or lose, as well as which paths you take while doing quests.
March 31, 2007, 7:44 PM
Quarantine
Sure they do, World of Warcraft's storyline is "Live" as in it's always changing. Periodical events unfold the storyline as you come along. If that's not involving the storyline with the game, I don't know what is. Don't confuse the playing style you have of mindlessly killing with a game not having a storyline.
March 31, 2007, 8:23 PM
Barabajagal
I don't play games where you can mindlessly kill. The only games I really have any interest in are Tetris and old SNES RPGs.
March 31, 2007, 8:46 PM
Quarantine
Then how can you criticize a game for having no storyline if you don't even take interest in it?
March 31, 2007, 8:50 PM
Barabajagal
I don't take interest in it because it's not about the storyline. I criticize it for being just like every other game that's been released after about 1997.
March 31, 2007, 9:01 PM
Quarantine
But then again, you havn't played the game. Do you have a lv60, even lv70 Character? You're making assumptions.
April 1, 2007, 12:51 AM
warz
[quote author=[RealityRipple] link=topic=16506.msg167495#msg167495 date=1175374911]
I don't take interest in it because it's not about the storyline. I criticize it for being just like every other game that's been released after about 1997.
[/quote]

Yeah. You sound like a moron. You have no higher level characters, which allows me to say that you haven't had the opportunity to even see the story line. The lore of warcraft is so in-depth that I couldn't even begin to follow it. There's so many things that tie everything together that the game is that addicting. I didn't know a single thing about warcraft lore, but now it's almost hard to quit playing only because the storyline makes you feel like you're just that big of a part of the game. Go back to Tetris, with 0 storyline, mr. i love story lines. haha.
April 1, 2007, 1:02 AM
Barabajagal
I have no characters at all. I refuse to waste time playing games. And Tetris has a great storyline. You just have to make it up ;)
April 1, 2007, 9:20 PM
crankycefx
WoW is not my type of game, I don't like it, and compared to GW it's bad.  I'm not about PvE and grinding and doing the same shit over and over with different pictures/visuals.
I'm more into strategy, mechanics, micro and competitive play.
The finnish guild, Team Everfrost, beat the european guild Esoteric Warriors this weekend in the Celestial Tournament finals. 10 members of the eF roster will be getting ATI Radeon 1950XT's, and 100 transmogrify potions (potions that turn you into a different looking avatar), plus a gold cape.
Esoteric Warriors roster members (10) get ATI Radeon X1650Pro or XT's, don't recall, and 50 potions, and a silver cape.
Etc.
Previously, they have flown the top 6 teams to Taipei and Leipzeig, Germany.  Each winner of those tournaments, the "world championships", won $50,000 divided by 8 or 10.

What are you playing for in WoW Arena's and BG's?  The newest ridicously overpowered item set? woot! More imbalances!
April 2, 2007, 4:38 PM
Quarantine
Are you trying to say that World of Warcraft doesn't have the level of strategy that Guild Wars has? Please. It isn't all about gear or weapons, it's how you use them. There is also enchants, potions, and the ups and down of each class.

World of Warcraft (like any MMO) has imbalances, there is no way to completely eliminate imbalances unless you quit updating the game with new skills and content. Absolutely no way. They periodically review classes and fix anything they see wrong.

So you win money in Guild Wars? Who cares? I don't honestly play the game to win money, I play it to have fun. There are associated rewards with World of Warcraft's Arenas and Battlegrounds which arn't just armor and weapons.

April 3, 2007, 8:58 PM
Invert
I have to agree with Warrior about the point of playing games. I make money working at a real job. I don't need to stress out to try and win a crappy ATI card.

GW and WoW have the same amount of strategy to them - but then again how much strategy can you really find in an MMO? Just remember the sequence you push your buttons against certain classes and you are a strategist in the world of MMO's.

Who wants to play Supreme Commander?
April 4, 2007, 2:06 AM
crankycefx
There's no stress.  There's only stress if you're bad and can't handle a steep learning curve.  And it's not stressing out to win some crappy ATI card.  Automated Tournaments are coming and so is the $50,000/8 big prize for 1st place, and the remaining 50,000 attributed to the next 5 teams, etc.
Sounds like a nice way to play a competitive game and win money, while having fun, to me.

WoW definitely does not have the same level of strategy and preplanning required.  You can bring EVERY skill on EVERY tier to the game, ALL of your potions, and all of that.
There are no potions in GW.
There is only 8 skills out of hundreds of skills per player on teams of 8.
Etc.

There are many levels that GW is more strategy/team work based than WoW is, and WoW is blatantly unbalanced.  Regardless if it's "how you use your gear", it's still gear based, because getting that gear isn't equal.  You still have to grind for gear.  In GW I don't.
GW is not incredibly well balanced either, however it is moreso than WoW, which is the point I am making.  WoW has more fun PvE and more time you can sink into it, but that's about it.

To be fair, there is one thing that WoW has over GW...
Jumping!
April 10, 2007, 4:34 PM
Quarantine
I havn't played Guild Wars so if you really say it's more strategic then I'll take your word for it. I'm not going to knock it until I try but I am however going to point out facts from WoW that people may have gotten wrong.
April 10, 2007, 5:46 PM
crankycefx
I actually want to start a group of people from here out in the competitive play.
They're starting automated tournaments and the next world championship is starting in a few months.

$100,000 in real cash to be divided up between people.  $50,000 for the team of 8-10 that win first place.

Steep learning curve in the game, and it's very aptly called "builds wars" for a reason.  There are some skills and builds that are more powerful than others.

I only want to do it because there's a lot of very smart, quick on their feet and tactical players that hang on this forum.  People who are really good at SC, DoTA and other RTS's will be good.  So will players who are good on FPS's.  It requires a combination of micro'ing, twitch reactions, tactical / strategic thinking, communication/coordination, positioning and teamwork.

Gogo!
April 29, 2007, 9:45 PM
tumeria
??
April 29, 2007, 10:30 PM
l2k-Shadow
[quote author=cefx- link=topic=16506.msg168578#msg168578 date=1177883115]
I actually want to start a group of people from here out in the competitive play.
They're starting automated tournaments and the next world championship is starting in a few months.

$100,000 in real cash to be divided up between people.  $50,000 for the team of 8-10 that win first place.

Steep learning curve in the game, and it's very aptly called "builds wars" for a reason.  There are some skills and builds that are more powerful than others.

I only want to do it because there's a lot of very smart, quick on their feet and tactical players that hang on this forum.  People who are really good at SC, DoTA and other RTS's will be good.  So will players who are good on FPS's.  It requires a combination of micro'ing, twitch reactions, tactical / strategic thinking, communication/coordination, positioning and teamwork.

Gogo!
[/quote]

I fucked up my graphics card few days ago, but in 2-3 days i should have my new one and start playing guild wars again. Message me on name Rocket Of Love
April 30, 2007, 2:46 AM

Search