Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Need a 2nd Opinion

AuthorMessageTime
bethra
Greetings,

I'm currently in a dilemma and would appreciate a 2nd opinion.

Here's my problem/situation:

~3.5 weeks ago I applied to three Computer Science summer REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) programs.  These three REUs are the Texas A&M, UMASS/CASA, and Valparaiso University REU programs (ordered from favorite to least favorite).

Anyways, last Tuesday I was notified via e-mail that I was selected for my least favorite program, the Valpo REU program, and told that I had till yesterday (Monday, Mar. 12) to give a Yes/No answer.  However, at that point I had not received a response from either the Texas A&M or UMASS REU program yet (Texas A&M's site states that they'd notify early March and UMASS states early April).  And as of this time yesterday I had not heard anything from the other two REU programs, so I replied to the Valpo REU with a Yes.

However here comes the problem, just minutes ago I received a notification from my most favorite of the three REUs, the Texas A&M REU, stating that I'm one of the 10 selected to participate...

I'm in a dilemma...

Do you think that it would be acceptable to withdraw from the Valpo REU at this point in order to take the Texas A&M REU?
March 13, 2007, 8:58 PM
Barabajagal
As long as you didn't sign any legally binding contract, you can back out. Just call and politely tell them you got a better offer, but thanks for the opportunity.
March 13, 2007, 9:42 PM
Grok
Agreed.  Do what's best for you.
March 18, 2007, 6:16 AM
LordNevar
[quote author=Grok link=topic=16483.msg166872#msg166872 date=1174198590]
Agreed.  Do what's best for you.
[/quote]

Agreed, you should do whatever makes you the happiest. I am sure the people you let down wount loose sleep over it.
March 18, 2007, 6:33 AM

Search