Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Computer Support Issues | My Shared Folder

AuthorMessageTime
Ishbar
I have a newly bought wireless internet router and I am running my own pc through it and downstairs my friends laptop. My inquiry is on how to get a network folder up that both of us can access hosted on either one of our pc's so files can be shared between us and such. Anyone know how to set up one, im running Win Server 2k3 Ent and he is running XP Home.
March 6, 2007, 4:02 AM
Barabajagal
Create a folder on one of the computers, right click it, hit properties. Go to the Sharing tab. Select Share this folder. Set the share name to "Shared" or something of the sort. Set permissions as you wish.

Then, go to the other computer, and right click on My Computer. Hit "Map Network Drive". Select a drive letter, and set the folder to "\\COMPUTER\Shared" where COMPUTER is the first computer's name (viewable by pressing windows key+pause key, hitting the Computer Name tab, and looking under "Full computer name"), and Shared is the share name you set earlier. Hit finish.

Things to double-check: Both computers must be on the same Workgroup or Domain. They must be connected through a hub, router, wireless router, wireless direct connection, or crossover cable.
March 6, 2007, 4:07 AM
Ishbar
That didn't work. :[
He tries to setup a small office network but once he gets the end of the setup it asks if he wants to make a disk for the network setup install but he has no floppy drive.

Anyone care to go through that process, make a floppy, extract the files, and send em to me? :D

March 6, 2007, 4:39 PM

Search