Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Politics | Al Gore is such a moron

AuthorMessageTime
DarkMinion
http://www.wwtdd.com/post.phtml?pk=1958

[quote]The Tennessee Center for Policy Research says today that Al Gore, who won an Academy Award last night for his film about global warming and the importance of energy conservation, uses 20 times the national average to power his Nashville mansion.  What's more, his use has increased since the release of "An Inconvenient Truth".  The Center says:

"Gore’s mansion consumes more electricity every month than the average American household uses in an entire year, according to the Nashville Electric Service (NES).  The average household in America consumes 10,656 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per year, according to the Department of Energy. In 2006, Gore devoured nearly 221,000 kWh—more than 20 times the national average.  Last August alone, Gore burned through 22,619 kWh—guzzling more than twice the electricity in one month than an average American family uses in an entire year. As a result of his energy consumption, Gore’s average monthly electric bill topped $1,359.  Since the release of An Inconvenient Truth, Gore’s energy consumption has increased from an average of 16,200 kWh per month in 2005, to 18,400 kWh per month in 2006.  Gore’s extravagant energy use does not stop at his electric bill. Natural gas bills for Gore’s mansion and guest house averaged $1,080 per month last year … In total, Gore paid nearly $30,000 in combined electricity and natural gas bills for his Nashville estate in 2006."

So I'm supposed to live like a raccoon while this tubby fuck drives a go-cart from room to room on his fabulous estate.  These dirty god-damn hippies all tell me how awful America is and how great everyone else is, and we should all roll around in the mud like these third world nightmares whose number one export is alien like diseases, meanwhile he's flying back and forth to Caligula-like parties in Beverly Hills on his 20 million-dollar Gulfstream jet.  I'm supposed to power my shower with a treadmill, but according to this editorial in the USA Today, Gore can't even be bothered to sign up for "earth friendly" power sources like wind energy, even though the utility companies that service his homes (he has three) in Tennessee and Washington DC offer it as an alternative.  I think Ed Begley Jr. is a damn retard, but when he shakes his malnourished fingers at me and says we can all live "green", I at least know that he's speaking from experience, because he truly lives that life.  Al Gore is not a scientist or an expert on weather and he's sure as hell not an environmentalist.  He might as well tell me he's a Japanese super train that transforms into a tiger.[/quote]
February 28, 2007, 7:52 AM
Barabajagal
Do some research on "The Tennessee Center for Policy Research".
February 28, 2007, 8:02 AM
Stealth
It appears that the Tennessee Center for Policy Research is merely the messenger -- they are "armed with Gore's utility bills for the last two years" -- and Gore does not dispute the figures. Their politics may have led to their discovery of this dirt, but it doesn't appear that it has any impact on the cut-and-dried facts of the matter, which are those utility bills.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Politics/GlobalWarming/story?id=2906888&page=1
February 28, 2007, 10:33 PM
Barabajagal
I guess the real question, then, is "has he changed his lifestyle since he did this documentary?" I don't have the answer to this; does anyone here know?
February 28, 2007, 10:42 PM
Invert
The real question is: Would you ever take advice from a 900lbs man on how to lose weight?
February 28, 2007, 11:38 PM
Barabajagal
If he was once 900lbs and is now 200, yes, I would. I'm saying, if he had reduced his usage to at least normal (since the estimate was 20x), I'd trust his judgment.
March 1, 2007, 3:21 AM
DarkMinion
[quote]I guess the real question, then, is "has he changed his lifestyle since he did this documentary?" I don't have the answer to this; does anyone here know?[/quote]

You should perhaps read the entire post then.

[quote author=DarkMinion link=topic=16413.msg165989#msg165989 date=1172649170]
http://www.wwtdd.com/post.phtml?pk=1958

[quote]The Tennessee Center for Policy Research says today that Al Gore, who won an Academy Award last night for his film about global warming and the importance of energy conservation, uses 20 times the national average to power his Nashville mansion.  What's more, his use has increased since the release of "An Inconvenient Truth".  The Center says:

"Gore’s mansion consumes more electricity every month than the average American household uses in an entire year, according to the Nashville Electric Service (NES).  The average household in America consumes 10,656 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per year, according to the Department of Energy. In 2006, Gore devoured nearly 221,000 kWh—more than 20 times the national average.  Last August alone, Gore burned through 22,619 kWh—guzzling more than twice the electricity in one month than an average American family uses in an entire year. As a result of his energy consumption, Gore’s average monthly electric bill topped $1,359.  Since the release of An Inconvenient Truth, Gore’s energy consumption has increased from an average of 16,200 kWh per month in 2005, to 18,400 kWh per month in 2006.
  Gore’s extravagant energy use does not stop at his electric bill. Natural gas bills for Gore’s mansion and guest house averaged $1,080 per month last year … In total, Gore paid nearly $30,000 in combined electricity and natural gas bills for his Nashville estate in 2006."

So I'm supposed to live like a raccoon while this tubby fuck drives a go-cart from room to room on his fabulous estate.  These dirty god-damn hippies all tell me how awful America is and how great everyone else is, and we should all roll around in the mud like these third world nightmares whose number one export is alien like diseases, meanwhile he's flying back and forth to Caligula-like parties in Beverly Hills on his 20 million-dollar Gulfstream jet.  I'm supposed to power my shower with a treadmill, but according to this editorial in the USA Today, Gore can't even be bothered to sign up for "earth friendly" power sources like wind energy, even though the utility companies that service his homes (he has three) in Tennessee and Washington DC offer it as an alternative.  I think Ed Begley Jr. is a damn retard, but when he shakes his malnourished fingers at me and says we can all live "green", I at least know that he's speaking from experience, because he truly lives that life.  Al Gore is not a scientist or an expert on weather and he's sure as hell not an environmentalist.  He might as well tell me he's a Japanese super train that transforms into a tiger.[/quote]
[/quote]
March 1, 2007, 8:21 AM
Barabajagal
O.o I misinterpreted that sentence (meaning i was reading too fast). Wow... maybe the world's fucked up beyond repair and he's decided to live it up before it ends... Or, yes, he's a moron and should have paid attention to things like that because someone was bound to bitch about it if he did what he did.
March 1, 2007, 8:33 AM
Myndfyr
[quote author=[RealityRipple] link=topic=16413.msg166067#msg166067 date=1172738002]
O.o I misinterpreted that sentence (meaning i was reading too fast). Wow... maybe the world's fucked up beyond repair and he's decided to live it up before it ends... Or, yes, he's a moron and should have paid attention to things like that because someone was bound to bitch about it if he did what he did.
[/quote]

You're missing the point, though.  It's the classic mentality of "Do what I say, not what I do."  It's the idea that the privileged should not only live by different standards than the common folk.
March 1, 2007, 3:43 PM
JoeTheOdd
[quote]Gore’s mansion consumes more electricity every month than the average American household uses in an entire year, according to the Nashville Electric Service (NES).[/quote]

I'm wondering who made it NES' business to release that information.
March 1, 2007, 4:16 PM
Stealth
The article I linked says the bills are public record. Perhaps that is a Tennessee-specific situation?
March 1, 2007, 6:13 PM
DarkMinion
[quote author=Joe[x86] link=topic=16413.msg166079#msg166079 date=1172765814]
[quote]Gore’s mansion consumes more electricity every month than the average American household uses in an entire year, according to the Nashville Electric Service (NES).[/quote]

[/quote]

That information is public domain.

This is just another example of why I'm really, really glad this headcase didn't become president.
March 1, 2007, 8:56 PM
BreW
george bush ftw.
March 1, 2007, 9:47 PM
Ishbar
I don't see why people are making such a big deal about this.
[quote author=DarkMinion link=topic=16413.msg166085#msg166085 date=1172782590]
[quote author=Joe[x86] link=topic=16413.msg166079#msg166079 date=1172765814]

[/quote]

That information is public domain.

This is just another example of why I'm really, really glad this headcase didn't become president.
[/quote]
Cause Bush was all the better?
Perhaps everyone can stop your carping because if you people really did care you would have voted for Nader.
I'm not necessarily defending Gore for his lavish spending on energy, but you shouldn't attack him for what he's done. What he's trying to do is raise  the awareness of Global Warming. & From the article; his attempts to lessen his own CF seems justified.

*Take Jared from Subway; he was fat. Now he is thin, tonnes of people listen to him! (Despite how Subway now all of a sudden looks like fast food and is serving people pizza's) *Or people who have AIDs, they try and warn people about the harm it can do, stop them from making the wrong choice. *On an similar note pregnant mothers try and educate those who were just as naive as they were to provide them with a knowledge they previously did not have.

Point being; don't assault him if you haven't done anymore than he's done to promote his cause.
It's like calling yourself a vegetarian (pseudo-vegan) and being disgusted by someone eating a burger simultaneously attempting to justify yourself eating chicken as it is not a "red meat"

*Works Cited

http://www.aegis.com/
http://www.subway.com/subwayroot/index.aspx
http://www.teenpregnancy.org/
March 6, 2007, 7:32 PM
Stealth
[quote author=Ishbar link=topic=16413.msg166359#msg166359 date=1173209558]
[/quote]

Well, yes!

[quote]*Take Jared from Subway; he was fat. Now he is thin, tonnes of people listen to him! (Despite how Subway now all of a sudden looks like fast food and is serving people pizza's)[/quote]

Subway was always fast food -- Jared succeeded because he practiced what he preached and got thin. Subway, like any other food joint, will sell whatever makes them the most money -- and that includes healthy food, to take advantage of those who want to eat healthy and be like Jared, but also includes things like mini pizzas. Ever try to get your average little kid to eat a veggie sub sandwich?

[quote]*Or people who have AIDs, they try and warn people about the harm it can do, stop them from making the wrong choice. [/quote]

AIDS is generally speaking not a choice..

[quote]*On an similar note pregnant mothers try and educate those who were just as naive as they were to provide them with a knowledge they previously did not have.[/quote]

Again, this is not a good parallel. Gore can very easily (especially with his kind of money) reverse his decision to consume ridiculous amounts of energy at his personal home, pregnant mothers cannot somehow reverse their pregnancy.

[quote]Point being; don't assault him if you haven't done anymore than he's done to promote his cause.[/quote]

The point being attacked is the hypocrisy. He could have at least made an effort to reduce energy use at his home, perhaps put some of his energy savings suggestions into practice, but it would appear that he didn't even try to do so, and that undermines his credibility as a person-telling-everyone-else-how-to-live.
March 6, 2007, 7:36 PM
Ishbar
[quote author=Stealth link=topic=16413.msg166360#msg166360 date=1173209765]
[quote author=Ishbar link=topic=16413.msg166359#msg166359 date=1173209558]
[/quote]

Well, yes... :)
[/quote]
It was in the context as a President, not as an eco-savvy house owner. But..if you want to look at it that way.
Something to take into account is that Crawford is a small isolated town, it's population is about 3/4 of 1,000. Water isn't the most abundant of things in the middle of nowhere and I'm sure even if you are the President of the United States and involved with the multi-billion dollar oil industry you still like saving money. Secondly you must think about how Nashville is an awkward climate. It's temperatures dip bellow freezing in winter to the low 90's in summer. Crawford doesn't even touch 0°C in winter. (Also it's not entirely impossible that Bush's advisor's might have had something to do with his energy saving and environmentally friendly household wonders. Just for protection on environmentalist attacks. (not literal) ) I'm not even going to doubt that some of the energy costs can also be from expensive electronics and other sorts of electric glutons in Gore's household. So Bush is better for being more rustic in his interests? Hmm..
March 6, 2007, 7:56 PM
Barabajagal
[quote author=http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewCulture.asp?Page=/Culture/archive/200703/CUL20070301c.html]Moreover, Gore "pays almost a 50 percent premium to buy the 'green power' offered from his electrical company," which generates its voltage from hydroelectric and nuclear power rather than coal, he said.[/quote]

Also, getting AIDS is sort of a choice sometimes, in that people don't really NEED to have sex, and those that do should know well enough that they should take precautions. However, there are always exceptions to such things, such as being raped, being born to a parent with HIV, etc...
March 6, 2007, 8:03 PM
Stealth
[quote author=Ishbar link=topic=16413.msg166362#msg166362 date=1173211003]
Something to take into account is that Crawford is a small isolated town, it's population is about 3/4 of 1,000. Water isn't the most abundant of things in the middle of nowhere[/quote]

It's not a problem for millions of Americans who live in rural areas, much less Bush who has the financial ability to have wells drilled and such. This was clearly a choice of Bush's, and not a necessary change.

[quote]Secondly you must think about how Nashville is an awkward climate. It's temperatures dip bellow freezing in winter to the low 90's in summer. Crawford doesn't even touch 0°C in winter.[/quote]

I fail to see how this is excuses Gore's hypocritically excessive utility use.

[quote](Also it's not entirely impossible that Bush's advisor's might have had something to do with his energy saving and environmentally friendly household wonders. Just for protection on environmentalist attacks. (not literal) )[/quote]

I highly doubt that any of Bush's advisors were part of his decision of where and how to build his summer home. That's ridiculous -- they don't run the man's personal life, as much as you would like to believe they do.

The key difference here is that Gore is supposed to be a champion of energy-saving technology and the like. Bush doesn't talk so much as he does. You seem to be letting your hatred of George Bush blind you to the blatant hypocrisy at hand.

[quote author=[RealityRipple] link=topic=16413.msg166363#msg166363 date=1173211400]
[quote author=http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewCulture.asp?Page=/Culture/archive/200703/CUL20070301c.html]Moreover, Gore "pays almost a 50 percent premium to buy the 'green power' offered from his electrical company," which generates its voltage from hydroelectric and nuclear power rather than coal, he said.[/quote][/quote]

Were that the case, it seems like his energy bills would reflect that, and there would be much less of an issue. My understanding was that Gore purchased "carbon offsets" to make up for his excessive energy use, but apparently is on the board of the company he makes these purchases from -- more in James Taranto's March 1 blog posting.

[quote]
Also, getting AIDS is sort of a choice sometimes, in that people don't really NEED to have sex, and those that do should know well enough that they should take precautions. However, there are always exceptions to such things, such as being raped, being born to a parent with HIV, etc...
[/quote]

Or having sex with someone who has AIDS but doesn't tell you. Frankly, does anyone choose to get AIDS? Do they wake up in the morning and say to themselves, "Hey, I should get AIDS today" ?
March 6, 2007, 8:13 PM
Ishbar
[quote author=Stealth link=topic=16413.msg166360#msg166360 date=1173209765]
[/quote]

[quote]AIDS is generally speaking not a choice..

Again, this is not a good parallel. Gore can very easily (especially with his kind of money) reverse his decision to consume ridiculous amounts of energy at his personal home, pregnant mothers cannot somehow reverse their pregnancy. [/quote]

Of course it isn't a choice, but people are unaware of aids. Just as teens are unaware of the risks of sex without a condom, sure they know what can happen but they are ignorant of the consequences. I'm not arguing the issues of those situations, I'm arguing the lack of preemptive to them; education and knowledge of.

[quote]The point being attacked is the hypocrisy. He could have at least made an effort to reduce energy use at his home, perhaps put some of his energy savings suggestions into practice, but it would appear that he didn't even try to do so, and that undermines his credibility as a person-telling-everyone-else-how-to-live.[/quote]

"The vice president has done that, Kreider argues, and the family tries to offset that carbon footprint by purchasing their power through the local Green Power Switch program — electricity generated through renewable resources such as solar, wind, and methane gas, which create less waste and pollution. "In addition, they are in the midst of installing solar panels on their home, which will enable them to use less power,"

Quoted from the ABC news article.
While Gore may consume nearly 20x's the standard 10,656 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per year most (allegedly) are not incorporated with the production of carbon emissions whereas it can be assumed that the 10,656 KWh annually consumed are linked to carbon emissions.

It doesn't matter how much one consumes it's how much is being subject to influencing Global Warming. A household can drain 400,000 KWh annually but if it is all (or mostly) Green then there is no issue, is there? (just people who don't know how to turn the lights off every once in a while.)
March 6, 2007, 8:14 PM
Barabajagal
If they're suicidal, maybe. But if you, you know, go get TESTED together before having sex, or refusing to have sex with someone who won't get tested with you, you can be fairly certain you'll be okay.
March 6, 2007, 8:18 PM
Ishbar
Climates which are colder call for more use of some fuel source and energy to generate heat, also for cooling(in the summer). Crawford Texas is a summer home, what about his other homes? I'm sure they aren't as cozy and eco-friendly as his one story house is. It's unfair they compare that one level home (for summer time use) and use it against Gore's Mansion (permanent residence).

I don't hate Bush. I don't like him either, the same goes for Gore. I find the comparisons being argued and the point of hypocrisy aren't proportionate nor justified evenly without bias.
March 6, 2007, 8:26 PM
DarkMinion
I'm not a huge fan of Bush, but at least he has some idea of what's going on in the world, while Al Gore simply travels around spouting drooling nonsense off the top of his head and making idiotic films like this.
March 7, 2007, 7:16 PM
crankycefx
..this isn't even taking into account that his movie is utter nonsense, and that it uses exaggeration to scare the ignorant american audience.
I'm not saying I'm any better, but I'm aware that there is not a "majority of the world scientists" suggesting that GHG is the cause of global warming.
March 7, 2007, 8:50 PM
Ishbar
Oh yeah?

[IMG]http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/6875/lolololpa1.gif[/img]
March 8, 2007, 2:36 AM
Invert
The Earth had about 6 ice ages, too bad we did not have Big Al millions of years ago to stop the dinosaurs from farting and causing global warming that melted the ice away.  :(
March 9, 2007, 8:18 AM
Ishbar
It's not a debate of whether or not there is going to be one. Of course there will be one..but the time in between each ice age and glaciation is what scientists are buzzing about. It's kinda like that movie JACK.

If to age normally would be our average ice age cycle and Jacks case being the end result of negligence to sustaining a healthy environment.
March 10, 2007, 12:40 AM
Myndfyr
[quote author=Ishbar link=topic=16413.msg166362#msg166362 date=1173211003]
Secondly you must think about how Nashville is an awkward climate. It's temperatures dip bellow freezing in winter to the low 90's in summer. Crawford doesn't even touch 0°C in winter.
[/quote]
Oh PLEASE.  That's not even the point.

I used to live in Chicago.  Our house was ~2600 square feet, or with the basement and sub-basement included, ~4200.  Chicago occasionally drops below 0 F in the winter, and regularly gets above 100 F in the summer, not to mention the excessive humidity.  The summer before I moved from there, they had a record number of heat-related deaths because of inadequate air conditioning.

Our bill was in the mid $100's per month for electricity during the summer.  Gas was cheap in the winter, too.

I've lived in the Phoenix, AZ area for roughly 9 years.  I live in a 1600 square foot house - the most my electric bill has ever been during the summer (when it's typically between 110 and 120) was $127.  My parents' house, 2400 square feet and two air conditioners for separate sides of the house?  $170.

HOWEVER, even that isn't the point.

If Al Gore was REALLY so utterly worried about the energy waste and the environment, the choice is a simple one to make: he wouldn't have a gigantic mansion.  He would have a modest house in a temperate climate.  Guess what?  It would cost him less per month, and hey - he could even put that savings to *even more* carbon credits!  What an idea!!!  If he's going to champion this cause and truly mean it, then that means that he needs to lead the charge and make sacrifices.  People who can't afford to buy "carbon credits" aren't going to be motivated to opt for a Prius when Al Gore is still driving around in his SUVs.

Ishbar: it severely discredits your argument when you utilize movies or corporate advertising campaigns as "sources."  I'm not saying that you're wrong, but I'm certainly not inclined to believe you're correct.
April 30, 2007, 1:27 AM
CrAz3D
Global warming is awesome!  I want a beach party in Denver with REAL beaches!
<flamesuit on>

ANYHOW, what is so bad about global warming other than change?  So it'll change the climate creating more tropical areas, no?  Won't those tropical areas be able to better sustain plant life so those plants will begin to decrease the CO2 and then get the earth cooler again, maybe?
May 29, 2007, 4:32 PM
Barabajagal
Erm... it'll also kill off a lot of plants that aren't used to the higher temperature, and if the sea level rises too much, lots of people who live on the shores of places like India, Florida, and Louisiana (AGAIN) are gonna get screwed big time. The problem is it's not just CO2 that's causing the problems.
May 29, 2007, 7:42 PM

Search