Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | New board and processor

AuthorMessageTime
JoeTheOdd
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813135024
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16819103776

How do these rate for overclocking? I don't plan on doing it right away, but as I get closer to buying an even newer machine (a few years down the road) and don't mind cutting a few years from it's life by overvolting it or something, I'd like the feature to be there.
February 21, 2007, 4:32 PM
JoeTheOdd
Bump.

I know that at least *one* of you has used an AMD product before.
February 23, 2007, 10:35 AM
Barabajagal
Try asking around the BigBruin Forum and google it. However, in my experience, ASUS motherboards are the best and easiest at overclocking, as they usually give you total control over the handling of the processor, and most come with some form of processor protection. I haven't used any of the new AMD Processors (being happy with an XP 2700+ overclocked ~200mhz), but I've heard that any overclocking in dual cores gets annoying as hell, since they should be perfectly synced to avoid interference.
February 23, 2007, 10:56 AM
shout
[quote author=[RealityRipple] link=topic=16365.msg165599#msg165599 date=1172228164]
but I've heard that any overclocking in dual cores gets annoying as hell, since they should be perfectly synced to avoid interference.
[/quote]

You can't set each core at a diffrent speed silly. They use the same clock generator.

I have a something-or-other board and a X2 3800+ overclocked about 300 mhz... using stock cooling... I don't remember what core family I have but it seems to not mind being overclocked.
February 23, 2007, 6:23 PM
Barabajagal
I know they use the same generator. If they didn't, they'd almost always be out of sync. The point is that overclocking changes the frequency at which the processors operate. I've heard that editing that frequency creates minor fluctuations, since it's not the intended frequency. I guess I heard wrong, though.
February 23, 2007, 8:52 PM

Search