Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Gaming Discussion | W2BN

AuthorMessageTime
MyStiCaL

Getting on WAR2 Client theres about 30-50 people online. would you think soon that maybe they'd restrict it to public channels only? I mean you'd even be lucky to just find a game in the game list, and ussally If you do find one its lagged out.
February 9, 2007, 8:50 PM
Barabajagal
War2 uses CD-Keys. They're not going to restrict a game like that unless it's something that makes sense to restrict (like Japanese Starcraft). It's not worth their time :P
February 9, 2007, 9:13 PM
MyStiCaL
Like warcraft II is worth there time anymore? no one plays it, almost basicly as much people as StarCraft JAPAN. so what if it has a CD-Key doesn't affect anything, it still could be restricted to Public Channels.
February 9, 2007, 11:11 PM
Barabajagal
that's what i just said. It's not worth their time to restrict war2, or even touch it anymore.
February 9, 2007, 11:23 PM
MyStiCaL
I mean its not worth for war2 to be on even public servers, I am thinkin eventually they will out mode it like they did others?
February 10, 2007, 1:12 AM
Barabajagal
...what do you mean by "public servers"? They haven't bothered to remove any games from bnet, ever. Hell, you can log on as starcraft shareware, which has a version of 1.01. They still support d1, dshr, all the spawn games... things that haven't been touched in years. Laziness is the easiest form of action, and that means they're not gonna bother changing anything about games they don't care about until they convert all the BNet servers into WoW servers.
February 10, 2007, 1:23 AM
MyStiCaL
I was probley thinkin of other things when i was typing but i ment to say,They may move W2BN to Public channels only, turn in into a spawn game. =(

Why would they even remotly want to convert bnet into wow? That'll never happen, but as games get older they get pooned to the PUBLIC only channels so that new games can have a new spot.

anyone else have an opinion before this turns into the STUPID PEOPLE ARGUING ABOUT STUPID THINGS. =)
February 10, 2007, 1:30 AM
Barabajagal
Just a side note... 63.241.83.10 used to be a West BNet server. It's not anymore. I'm fairly certain it's now a WoW server. I could be wrong though.
February 10, 2007, 1:34 AM
Spht
[quote author=[RealityRipple] link=topic=16287.msg164446#msg164446 date=1171070615]
until they convert all the BNet servers into WoW servers.
[/quote]

Woah, back it up, back it up.  Beep, beep, beep. Tractor story?
February 10, 2007, 4:04 PM
Ringo
I think JSTR was restricted due to Bnet server bugs.
Like if a public/private channel were full' JSTR clients could still enter it, as if there was no limit. :P
Back then tho, CHAT could join most channels to :)
February 10, 2007, 4:06 PM
Barabajagal
So basically the rule is "CD-Key games won't be restricted unless there's a glitch".
February 10, 2007, 9:20 PM
Ringo
I think in Starcraft japans case, there was a number of things battle.net side that needed fixing/updating, but none if any JSTR players to benefit, making restricting it easyer.
I think (not sure about todate) some bugs still exist, like even after they restricted JSTR, if you droped a load of JSTR clients (more than 40) into channel StarcraftJ, the battle.net servers used to screw up and send the clients into StarcraftJ 1, StarcraftJ 2 etc, and kept going, moving them from channel to channel :)
That was some years ago, so no telling if it still does it. :P
February 10, 2007, 11:17 PM
Barabajagal
Also... [16:19:56 PM] There are currently 586 users playing 62 games of Warcraft II, and 174915 users playing 35176 games on Battle.net.
February 11, 2007, 12:21 AM
MyStiCaL
8x62=496 so even if every single game was full to max of 8 theres still more w2bn logged on, which is doubtful most of the w2bn  logged on is are bots through bnls, now only if skywing could confirm the w2bn logs on the BNLS server also i've never been sure if thats just one server or ALL servers but if so all servers that would be like 20 games each server, maybe 2-4 players max n each game. not very much people on the actual client AT all.
February 11, 2007, 2:57 AM
Barabajagal
the /users command lists all four gateways. when i logged into war2 to take that quote (which i just realized has the time in military and AM/PM :o ) there were about 25 people in the channel, all active.
February 11, 2007, 3:40 AM
JoeTheOdd
[quote author=[RealityRipple] link=topic=16287.msg164446#msg164446 date=1171070615]
...what do you mean by "public servers"? They haven't bothered to remove any games from bnet, ever. Hell, you can log on as starcraft shareware, which has a version of 1.01. They still support d1, dshr, all the spawn games... things that haven't been touched in years. Laziness is the easiest form of action, and that means they're not gonna bother changing anything about games they don't care about until they convert all the BNet servers into WoW servers.
[/quote]

They're not going to convert the Battle.net servers into WoW. They rolled out all new servers at WoW release and did some insane retrofitting just these pasts months. Upgrading their Battle.net servers will be even more work, where they could just buy new ones and piss less customers off.

Do the math, a million WoW subscriptions times $15 per month. That's what they have to throw around. Keeping the Battle.net servers up is no object to them.
February 14, 2007, 4:34 PM
Tomcat
I believe they're making room for their next game, which will have its multiplayer component run through B.net.  As for War2, they'll never move it into public channels only.  I don't believe (and I could be wrong) that JSTR had keys specific to the Japanese version.  It was a unique circumstance, and since War2 has it's own keys, there is no way they'll force those players into public channels.  They paid their 5 bucks, just like everyone else.
February 23, 2007, 6:29 AM
MyStiCaL

They paid there 5$ to play the game not for battle.net, Battle.net is a free of service charge and more of a privlage then rights. they moved JSTR to public only channels, Im sure they can do the same for any other game thats not getting its attention.
February 23, 2007, 7:40 AM
Hell-Lord
[quote author=Mystical link=topic=16287.msg165579#msg165579 date=1172216414]

They paid there 5$ to play the game not for battle.net, Battle.net is a free of service charge and more of a privlage then rights. they moved JSTR to public only channels, Im sure they can do the same for any other game thats not getting its attention.
[/quote]

Yea they could if they wanted to but i don't think they would waste there time in doing so.
February 23, 2007, 7:44 AM
MyStiCaL
They wasted there time doing it with others, and they waste there time with other useless non-sence  :P
February 23, 2007, 8:36 AM
JoeTheOdd
I don't forsee any action taken against WarCraft II in the near future.

Now that I put thought into it, I think lockdown was the result of Blizzard getting scared that perhaps we were getting a bit too close to generating StarCraft keys. That conversation we had got pretty deep.
February 23, 2007, 10:46 AM
TheMinistered
Once again joe, you're wrong.  Just try not to say anything unless its factual, cause your opinions smell like rotten asshole roasting over a fire.
February 25, 2007, 3:17 AM
Tomcat
@TheMinistered:Your last three posts have all been flames towards joe[x86] :-(

Anyway, as for W2BN going the way of JSTR, it's possible, but unlikely.  Just like it's possible but unlikely for them to drop SC spawn or D1.
February 26, 2007, 9:13 AM
BreW
If anything I say the spawn clients are going DOWN.
February 26, 2007, 8:46 PM
JoeTheOdd
[quote author=TheMinistered link=topic=16287.msg165785#msg165785 date=1172373426]
Once again joe, you're wrong.  Just try not to say anything unless its factual, cause your opinions smell like rotten asshole roasting over a fire.
[/quote]

Fuck off. You can't even make an insult worth posting.

For the record, the administation doesn't take kindly to people making pointless, nonsensical insults. Remember Mangix? He's gone. Wonder why.

Clean up your act before you're banned.

EDIT -
WarCraft II isn't popular enough for Blizzard to care about it, but we haven't had any luck in generating Alpha-Based keys yet, so they don't need to do anything, as it's fine in it's current state.

StarCraft was given Lockdown as a last-ditch effort to keep bots (probably key-generator research bots) from passing the login. They're worried that we're going to generate keys, but aren't willing to put all it's legit players on public channel restriction.
February 26, 2007, 9:07 PM

Search