Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | How to imbed a RAR file into a JEPG image.

AuthorMessageTime
LCSBSSRHXXX
Someone @BWH posted this a while back and it a pretty cool trick that I sadly didn't know about until I watched it this little step by step animation.  Just though I'd share this with you guys for anyone who doesn't know this trick.
[img]http://www.bwhacks.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7080&stc=1&d=1160821578[/img]
February 9, 2007, 3:41 AM
MyStiCaL
Guess thats cool if you wanna put somthing out in style.
February 9, 2007, 8:32 PM
LCSBSSRHXXX
When I first herd the trick the main appeal to me was uploading the image to the many sites that have free image uploads, also it could be used to hide files.
February 9, 2007, 11:30 PM
UserLoser
Hmm like four years old and repost, but thanks for sharing.
February 10, 2007, 5:39 PM
Denial
Ya i agree you should look up how to embed .swf files into .txt documents!
February 10, 2007, 6:05 PM
BreW
That's not possible because the raw text would corrupt the .swf file and the swf file would crap up the .txt file....
February 17, 2007, 6:08 PM
MyStiCaL
nothings impossible..
February 18, 2007, 10:40 PM
rabbit
[quote author=BreW link=topic=16281.msg165008#msg165008 date=1171735709]
That's not possible because the raw text would corrupt the .swf file and the swf file would crap up the .txt file....
[/quote]You should research things before you state your opinion as fact.
February 18, 2007, 10:51 PM
BreW
Well
I never, ever research before I post anything except when I look for a quote sooo....
And it's probably correct because .txt files are READ by notepad.exe, and same with the swf, but instead by the shockwave media player. Having raw text (which is what a text file is) in a .swf file would indeed corrupt it, therefore not be able to play. And having the extra video data inside the text file surely wont make it pretty :p
February 18, 2007, 10:57 PM
rabbit
[quote author=iago]This is a really cool feature of NTFS that very few people know about.  Basically, you can hide any number of files (or "streams"), inside another file.  Open a command prompt, and go to your desktop (or where ever), do do the following:

Code:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Ron> echo "This is an empty file, trust me!" > file.txt

C:\Documents and Settings\Ron> type C:\windows\system32\sol.exe > file.txt:hidden1.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\Ron> C:\windows\system32\winmine.exe > file.txt:hidden2.txt

C:\Documents and Settings\Ron> type C:\windows\system32\winmine.exe > file.txt:hidden2.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\Ron> start .\file.txt:hidden1.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\Ron> start .\file.txt:hidden2.exe

The "echo" simply creates an empty file.
The two "type" lines embed two different .exe's inside file.txt.  No matter what you do to file.txt, you'll never be able to see them.
The next two lines run the two different hidden programs. You can run these like this at any time.

Note that this _won't_ work across a network or if you put it in a zip or anything else, since this is a feature of ntfs.[/quote]

Do research.  You're wrong again.

Source: http://www.x86labs.org:81/forum/index.php/topic,22.0.html
February 19, 2007, 12:32 AM
BreW
So, you're saying that by merging a .txt file with an .swf file it wouldn't corrupt the .swf file at all? Hrm. Then again, there's gotta be a way to store metadata. So I just may be wrong. Although we should just test it... and see what happens
February 19, 2007, 1:20 AM
Myndfyr
[quote author=BreW link=topic=16281.msg165153#msg165153 date=1171848023]
So, you're saying that by merging a .txt file with an .swf file it wouldn't corrupt the .swf file at all? Hrm. Then again, there's gotta be a way to store metadata. So I just may be wrong. Although we should just test it... and see what happens
[/quote]
Pay attention to what rabbit suggested.

NTFS supports multiple data streams per file.  These streams were originally designed to hold OLE object data, but have grown into a feature used by Windows XP to store metadata, and later used by some computer virii to store their data on disk but not be apparent to the user (since only the primary data stream is apparent through the Windows UI). 

You can store any number of streams in a given file as long as their names don't overlap.
February 19, 2007, 1:35 AM

Search