Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development | Icon Changing

AuthorMessageTime
Dayclone
Alright if I made all my exe and all and have an Icon how would I change it again without having to go through the code to change it.
and what program would I use to do that.
June 12, 2003, 1:26 AM
MesiaH
There are a few programs that will allow you to change the icon of an exe already compiled, but they are pretty rare, good luck finding one.
June 12, 2003, 1:28 AM
Dayclone
Do you might have any idea what kind of program this is?
if no one knows then it's ok i'll have to change it thorugh the code.
June 12, 2003, 3:03 AM
Skywing
ResHacker is one, if you can still find it (I think the maintainer stopped maintaining it, though).
June 12, 2003, 4:18 AM
Soul Taker
ExeScope is able to modify resources as well.
June 12, 2003, 8:07 AM
Grok
It's beyond my ability, but you might want to look into writing PE parser and assembler classes. PEDUMP could get you started. MSDN has technical articles on the subject.
June 12, 2003, 10:35 AM
iago
If you have the code, why don't you just change it there?
June 12, 2003, 1:09 PM
UserLoser
Another non bot development related post in the BOT DEVELOPMENT forum...mods should move all these to general :P
June 12, 2003, 5:30 PM
Dayclone
you know i'm like one of those people once your finished with something then i get lazy and don't wanna have to, to all that process again :) you Understand?

o wait b4 you do anything anyway of changing the icons in the exterior of the program not just the front but the icons inside too heh sorry forgot to mention that.
June 13, 2003, 1:38 AM
OcTaViuS
reshacker works the best for me. i use it if i have to change the icon or modify something in the version info, and don't have time to wait for slow ass VB to load, then compile the whole thing all over again.
June 13, 2003, 2:32 AM
TheMinistered
This seems harder to do and requires more effort than going into the project and changing the icon. If you ask me this guy doesn't have the source, and he just wants to change the icon and hexedit a bot (hexedit, I say this because he said something vague and retardish in the general programming forums that lead me to this concept). I think he should be banned! :)
June 13, 2003, 2:37 AM
http://www.aimfilez.com/files/reshacker.zip
June 25, 2003, 5:24 AM
Arta
[quote author=Dayclone link=board=17;threadid=1616;start=0#msg12143 date=1055381192]
Alright if I made all my exe and all and have an Icon how would I change it again without having to go through the code to change it.
and what program would I use to do that.
[/quote]

I'll provide a translation for everyone:

After I've hex-edited someone else's bot so that it looks like I wrote it, how can I change the icon too?

Edit: Ministered said this already. Ohwell.
June 25, 2003, 6:04 AM
Eternal
Agreed. Everyone here knows it is far easier to change the icon with the source rather than a compiled exe. It has nothing to do with laziness.
June 25, 2003, 10:10 AM
Grok
See I totally took the question wrong, and assumed the person was wanting to do something fun and clever to his own code. Here's what I thought he wanted to do, which would be much more fun of a programming exercise:

"I have two programs - my bot and my loader. Sometimes I want to have the loader replace icon, bitmap, and other resources in my bot's executable and saved that way. Then I don't have to recompile my bot but can distribute slightly different looking look-and-feels to various people. Which part of the Windows SDK/API will help me do this? Any URL to sample code would be golden. Thanks."

Now that would be a legit question :)
June 25, 2003, 11:32 AM
Camel
[quote author=Grok link=board=17;threadid=1616;start=0#msg12916 date=1056540767]
See I totally took the question wrong, and assumed the person was wanting to do something fun and clever to his own code. Here's what I thought he wanted to do, which would be much more fun of a programming exercise:

"I have two programs - my bot and my loader. Sometimes I want to have the loader replace icon, bitmap, and other resources in my bot's executable and saved that way. Then I don't have to recompile my bot but can distribute slightly different looking look-and-feels to various people. Which part of the Windows SDK/API will help me do this? Any URL to sample code would be golden. Thanks."

Now that would be a legit question :)
[/quote]

Actually, I wouldn't use any api calls if I wanted to do this. I would either #If code out for "frmWhatever.Picture = LoadPicture(...)" or distribute the graphics as external files and dynamicly load them like a skin (also using LoadPicture()).
June 25, 2003, 4:35 PM
Grok
Sure but those methods would each require recompiling the program that is already a binary form executable. Sticking to the question as I posed it, how would you modify a binary with new resources, possibly even different sizes, without access to the source code?
June 25, 2003, 5:15 PM
Camel
You implied that said programmer has the source and just doesnt want to modify it. I was merely trying to point out that that's a retarded way of programming.
June 25, 2003, 7:18 PM
Eternal
*pulls up a chair to watch the show...
June 25, 2003, 9:55 PM
smoke
Better yet, if you just want to have dynamic icons for easy distribution. Take one from blizzard, just post your icons file to a webpage and use the windows IPicture api's to retrieve and load it. Isn't it painfully obvious though that this guy told the truth. Out of all honesty, he said he's doing it because he's lazy.

True, you've got to be lazy to go to the trouble of hexing/modding somebody elses bot rather than write your own.

-smoke

*grabs some popcorn and passes it to Eternal
June 26, 2003, 5:28 AM
Camel
Wasn't the point to be able to distribute different "flavours" to different people? If so, wouldn't downloading pictures at runtime just make the hole he's in bigger?
June 26, 2003, 6:45 AM

Search