Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | BnetDocs Research and Discussion | BnetDocs zip file?

AuthorMessageTime
JoeTheOdd
I know this has been requested multiple times, but I'm not sure theres an official stance on this from Arta.

I'm requesting that you'd export BnetDocs in some fassion.. the SQL database, a collection of .HTML files, however, and release it for download.

I have three legit reasons for requesting this:

1. I'll be programming on my laptop soon, which is an older machine and thus isn't wireless capable (I'll eventually get around to getting a card for that). So, whenever I need to look up something, I'll be getting out of bed, walking across the room, and plugging it in. Yeah.. I guess it's not that legit, but I get enough exercise at work. :P

2. I'm on dialup. Please, nobody say "get DSL" -- it's simply unavailable in my area. This isn't normally a problem but theres some issue somewhere between my keyboard and Arta's server that causes BnetDocs to like to time out while listing off the packets in the left column, and the data never showing up.

3. The server is down a good ammount of time.

Also, this will make less people try crawling your site, and use less bandwidth on your behalf, but that's not really my business.

Anyhow, I'd apreciate it if you could get back to me on this. Thanks!

EDIT -
According to Savior, theres a funtion in PHP to generate a PDF. I don't know what the scope of the generated PDF is, but that's an idea if you were willing to output it.
November 29, 2006, 7:51 AM
Arta
I won't be adding this feature. The best you can do is to save the pages you really need, or to print them. A significant part of my reason for building BnetDocs in the first place was that, prior to its existence, there was a lot of Battle.net-related protocol information spread around the internet, it was mostly vague, contradictory or out of date, and there was no authoritative way to determine what information was correct and what wasn't. Having other people host mirrors, or providing the content for download, would inevitably lead to various out of date copies of the site floating around. It would thus be self-defeating.

I will say, though, that BnetDocs will soon be moving to a new server. The performance of the site should improve substantially. The site has also been overhauled -- despite the horrible delay, BnetDocs version 2 does exist and as soon as the new server is ready it will be deployed. Among many improvements is the addition of user-selectable styles for the site. If someone wants to donate a low-bandwidth CSS design I'll happily provide it, assuming it doesn't look like arse.

I'm completely willing to make changes to the site to improve its usability, and if you're having trouble, I'd much rather take that route than lose control over the accuracy of BnetDocs's content.
November 29, 2006, 4:52 PM
JoeTheOdd
Thanks to Ersan.

To Arta, that reason is respectable, I guess. I remember using a BnetDocs v2 preview and noticing it was much better, so I'm glad about that. However, I'd like to suggest as I have before, a frames view where the packet list can be loaded and then it doesn't have to be loaded again (list frame, content frame). Of course, you'd probably want to offer a non-frames view because frames are generally ugly, but it'd save bandwidth for dialup-ers.
November 29, 2006, 10:01 PM
HeRo
I have a copy of the site too if that link ever dies.
November 30, 2006, 1:25 AM
Baroness
[quote author=heRo link=topic=16085.msg161970#msg161970 date=1164849907]
I have a copy of the site too if that link ever dies.
[/quote]

Would be nice to shed some information on that link.

Also another alternative would be

http://www.aznsoulja.com/bnetdocs/content.html

Hope this helps
April 11, 2007, 11:12 AM
HdxBmx27
[quote author=Arta[vL] link=topic=16085.msg161949#msg161949 date=1164819176]The best you can do is to save the pages you really need, or to print them. [/quote]
Can you make a text-based version of the site?
[code]
<Packet_Name> (<Packet_ID>):
Used by: <Products>
Format:
  C->S:
    <Format>
  S->C:
    <Format>

Remarks:
  <Remarks>
[/code]
I have been going through Bnet docs and copying all the packets I use most often. (Login Sequences mostly) to a text document similar to the format of BNLS/BotNet spec txts

This would be good for the low bandwidth people who can't afford to have all the spiffy layouts, and crap. Plus I prefer to have plain text instead of flashy stuff. And I know I am not alone...(I hope I am not 0.o)

~Hdx
April 12, 2007, 8:30 PM
ZergMasterI
Yea, and all the fluffy stuff takes forever to load on DSL, on any server I've seen it hosted on. It gets sort of annoying. Got that done yet, Hdx? (when he gets net again)
Sorry about the bump, I don't read this forum more than once in a few months. :/
June 23, 2007, 6:51 PM
CheersMe
Can somebody upload the Bnetdocs on rapidshare or on other pages ?
because all currently online bnetdocs are down :\

i would thank alot
-cheers
August 8, 2007, 12:33 PM
Yegg
[quote author=CheersMe link=topic=16085.msg171447#msg171447 date=1186576404]
Can somebody upload the Bnetdocs on rapidshare or on other pages ?
because all currently online bnetdocs are down :\

i would thank alot
-cheers
[/quote]

I don't know about at the moment of your post, but as of now, http://ersan.us/src/bnetdocs/content.html is up and running.
August 9, 2007, 4:04 AM

Search