Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Computer Support Issues | Exceptions in svchost.exe

AuthorMessageTime
shout
About 2 days ago I started getting unhandled exceptions in svchost.exe, and when I would end it, some random aspect of my computer would cease to function, normally the sound, sometimes the network, sometimes forceing a restart, and once no input devices would work.

Anyone know of anything or is it time for a windows reinstall?
November 7, 2006, 6:18 PM
UserLoser
Install any programs about two days ago?
November 7, 2006, 6:44 PM
l2k-Shadow
Probably hit a lovely trojan that attaches to svchost.exe. I'd recommend reformatting, since being a Windows user is basically a ticket to having to reformat every few months or your computer takes about 20 minutes to boot and starts lagging after 10 minutes of use after a restart.
November 7, 2006, 7:34 PM
Stealth
[quote author=l2k-Shadow link=topic=15998.msg160955#msg160955 date=1162928084]
Probably hit a lovely trojan that attaches to svchost.exe. I'd recommend reformatting, since being a Windows user is basically a ticket to having to reformat every few months or your computer takes about 20 minutes to boot and starts lagging after 10 minutes of use after a restart.
[/quote]

We have 4 Windows computers in our family. I have not yet had occasion to reformat any of them, and the slowest one (an almost-7-year-old upgraded Dell Dimension) doesn't take anywhere near 20 minutes to boot, then runs just fine.

There is a fine line between keeping an open mind towards Linux and other operating system technologies and becoming a zealot one way or another.

Shout, if you're willing to provide a HijackThis log, we can see if you've got anything suspicious running; however, if you want to just get it over with and reformat that will probably fix your problem.
November 7, 2006, 8:38 PM
Explicit[nK]
System Restore?
November 8, 2006, 12:00 AM
Newby
[quote author=Stealth link=topic=15998.msg160958#msg160958 date=1162931937]
There is a fine line between keeping an open mind towards Linux and other operating system technologies and becoming a zealot one way or another.
[/quote]

Not really. There's a fine line between being an open-minded, informed Linux zealot, and a blind, ignorant zealot who flames Windows at any chance they get because they want to appear "cool." Odds are he uses Windows too. According to a post he made two days ago, he used OllyDbg, which is for Windows.
November 8, 2006, 1:41 AM
l2k-Shadow
lol... did I ever say I do not use Windows? As the matter of fact, I have never ever used linux in my life.. I use Windows XP and I love it. The problem with Windows, just like any operating system, and mostly the users fault is, that crap gets stored on the computer from the internet, programs, etc... I like to reformat often because it helps me keep the computer clean.. and no my computer doesn't take 20 minutes to restart which was an exaggeration for a long time, but the more I wait to reformat, the slower it gets... I am suggesting reformatting just for the best and cleanliest solution to any software-related problem, at least in my opinion.
November 8, 2006, 4:33 AM
Newby
[quote author=l2k-Shadow link=topic=15998.msg160979#msg160979 date=1162960392]
The problem with Windows, just like any operating system, and [color=red]mostly the users fault[/color] is, that crap gets stored on the computer from the internet, programs, etc... I like to reformat often because it helps me keep the computer clean.. and no my computer doesn't take 20 minutes to restart which was an exaggeration for a long time, but the more I wait to reformat, the slower it gets... I am suggesting reformatting just for the best and cleanliest solution to any software-related problem, at least in my opinion.
[/quote]

I can personally manage my Windows systems better than I can my Linux systems. I've never had any of the problems you speak of. Sadly, I haven't used XP on my desktop in over a year and a half now. I have not looked back. :)

Although reformatting is the ultimate solution for any Windows programs.
November 8, 2006, 5:10 AM
Stealth
[quote author=l2k-Shadow link=topic=15998.msg160979#msg160979 date=1162960392]
lol... did I ever say I do not use Windows? As the matter of fact, I have never ever used linux in my life.. I use Windows XP and I love it. The problem with Windows, just like any operating system, and mostly the users fault is, that crap gets stored on the computer from the internet, programs, etc... I like to reformat often because it helps me keep the computer clean.. and no my computer doesn't take 20 minutes to restart which was an exaggeration for a long time, but the more I wait to reformat, the slower it gets... I am suggesting reformatting just for the best and cleanliest solution to any software-related problem, at least in my opinion.
[/quote]

Fair enough. I even agree with you if Shout's hard drive is in such a state that backing all his important things, typically the most painstaking part of a reformat, is either already done (working off an external hard drive) or very quick and easy to do. Otherwise, a reformat is generally not as easy as just repairing the problem.
November 8, 2006, 7:35 AM
shout
I reformated.

But I had a bad disk or something because now its just screwed to all hell and i have to reformat yet again.
November 9, 2006, 6:22 PM
shout
It turns out I had a particularly nasty virus. It seemed to infect every executable it could find on my disk, making my backups infected as well.

:(
November 12, 2006, 2:14 AM
Stealth
[quote author=Shout link=topic=15998.msg161129#msg161129 date=1163297662]
It turns out I had a particularly nasty virus. It seemed to infect every executable it could find on my disk, making my backups infected as well.

:(
[/quote]

Gnarly. Don't back any .exe files up, then! :) (easier said than done, I know)
November 12, 2006, 9:15 PM
Kp
Backing up the executables is fine, as long as he doesn't restore them or run them after he cleans out the infection. :)
November 15, 2006, 4:46 AM

Search