Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion |  Saddam Hussein sentenced to death by hanging

AuthorMessageTime
HeRo
Ahh, it's about time! Some people are starting to say that the U.S. mid term elections have something to do with the time he was sentenced.

This is "breaking news" right now but this seems to be the only article out so far, will probably be lots more later:
http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/11/05/dujail.saddam/
November 5, 2006, 10:34 AM
iago
Good to see that they're setting an example in Iraq: remember Iraqi people, violence is NOT the answer.  Errr.. ok, violence is sometimes the answer.  Ok, how's this: violence is only the answer when it's not violence against the US?

My point is, they're trying to discourage terrorism and killing in Iraq, yet it's ok that their leader got sentenced to be hanged?  Capital punishment teaches people that murder/killing IS an answer, and that's the wrong lesson. 

In my opinion, at the very least, they should have sentenced him to life in prison, then then people forgot about it disappear him. 
November 5, 2006, 5:50 PM
Topaz
Why does everything always have to be reduced to partisan politics? Maybe it's justice thats being served...
November 5, 2006, 7:35 PM
iago
Partisan politics?  Killing somebody isn't justice.  Killing somebody is revenge. 
November 5, 2006, 7:37 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=iago link=topic=15982.msg160787#msg160787 date=1162749046]
In my opinion, at the very least, they should have sentenced him to life in prison, then then people forgot about it disappear him.   
[/quote]
In a lot of cases, revenge is the only closure some people can find.  This guy killed millions of people in Iraq.  He has devastated millions of lives.  He turned what was once a rather wealthy country into a miserable place to live, for the most part.

Had we caught Hitler alive, should we have kept him alive?

How about Osama?

I'm having trouble thinking of other examples right now, but you get my drift.

When does it become not wrong, if ever?
November 5, 2006, 7:48 PM
Topaz
[quote author=iago link=topic=15982.msg160797#msg160797 date=1162755428]
Partisan politics? 
[/quote]

[quote]
Some people are starting to say that the U.S. mid term elections have something to do with the time he was sentenced.
[/quote]

[quote author=iago link=topic=15982.msg160797#msg160797 date=1162755428]
Killing somebody isn't justice.  Killing somebody is revenge. 
[/quote]

Leaving him to rot in a jail cell for thirty years is revenge too.

Either way, it's state sanctioned murder. No way about it, might as well pick and choose.
November 5, 2006, 7:50 PM
Arta
His crime is of such severity that no punishment is adequate. I think that sitting in jail till he dies of natural causes would be a better punishment than execution, but there we are.
November 5, 2006, 7:51 PM
hismajesty
Yeah, iago, but the death penalty is terrorism and all.

[quote]"the unlawful use of -- or threatened use of -- force or violence against individuals or property to coerce or intimidate governments or societies, often to achieve political, religious, or ideological objectives."[/quote]

Oh, wait, it's not.
November 5, 2006, 8:44 PM
Topaz
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=topic=15982.msg160810#msg160810 date=1162759464]
Yeah, iago, but the death penalty is terrorism and all.

[quote]"the unlawful use of -- or threatened use of -- force or violence against individuals or property to coerce or intimidate governments or societies, often to achieve political, religious, or ideological objectives."[/quote]

Oh, wait, it's not.
[/quote]

wtf?
November 5, 2006, 8:53 PM
Quarantine
Good. I hope he hangs for a while before he dies.
November 5, 2006, 10:44 PM
HeRo
[quote author=Warrior link=topic=15982.msg160821#msg160821 date=1162766652]
[/quote]
I second that.
November 5, 2006, 11:46 PM
Invert
Iraqis sentenced an Iraqi murderer to death.

These self-serving and self-righteous organizations and people condemn the execution of this poor man. Justice was not served because they say so!

Chinese sentence a farmer to death because his neighbor was jealous of him and made up lies that he was for conspiring to topple the Chinese communist government. About 15,000 people are executed a year by the Chinese government.

No one cares.

"A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic."
-Joseph Stalin

I despise these self-serving and self-righteous people; they are the cancer in once society.
November 6, 2006, 6:19 PM
HeRo
[quote author=Invert link=topic=15982.msg160866#msg160866 date=1162837194]
Chinese sentence a farmer to death because his neighbor was jealous of him and made up lies that he was for conspiring to topple the Chinese communist government. About 15,000 people are executed a year by the Chinese government.
[/quote]
Source?
November 7, 2006, 1:47 AM
inner.
hurray.
November 7, 2006, 2:32 AM
JoeTheOdd
[/quote]

They need to stand him on a platform resting on a hydrolic jack, that goes down around two feet over 12 hours, causing intense pain but not killing him for a long time.

Or better yet nail him to a cross. People don't bleed to death from crucifixion, they either suffocate or get lead poisioning (suffocation comes if they're tied down, poisioning if their nailed down).

Or nail his dick to a stump and make him starve.

EDIT -
Made first idea more clear, and added third.
November 7, 2006, 3:23 AM
FrOzeN
[quote author=Joe[x86] link=topic=15982.msg160889#msg160889 date=1162869805]
[/quote]

They need to stand him on a platform resting on a hydrolic jack, that goes down around two feet over 12 hours, causing intense pain but not killing him for a long time.

Or better yet nail him to a cross. People don't bleed to death from crucifixion, they either suffocate or get lead poisioning (suffocation comes if they're tied down, poisioning if their nailed down).

Or nail his dick to a stump and make him starve.

EDIT -
Made first idea more clear, and added third.
[/quote]Doing something inhumane to him, lowers us to his level.
November 7, 2006, 3:44 AM