Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | .NET Platform | C# 3.0: Bittersweet

AuthorMessageTime
Myndfyr
I'm excited to see that lambda expressions are part of the C# 3.0 syntax - the compiler infers anonymous methods from them.  I think that's pretty cool.  I also like that they're extending the property-based initlialization syntax available to attribute initialization to all classes.

What I don't like: implicit typing.  Strong typing has been a major and important feature of C#, and I think by permitting implicit typing, we're going to be encouraging programmer lazyness.  If I wanted to write:
[code]
var s = "Blah";
[/code]
I could have been using JScript or JScript.NET.  It looks like we're starting do fall away from code elegance.

I also don't like the extensible classes pattern as another instance of where we might be falling away from elegance or maintainability.

I do like the query design pattern they're implementing.  Programmatic SQL-like code - very nifty!
October 29, 2006, 7:32 AM
Insolence
[quote]I do like the query design pattern they're implementing.  Programmatic SQL-like code - very nifty![/quote]I watched a video on Channel9(?) about that "no fuss" SQL stuff, looked very nifty indeed :)
November 17, 2006, 6:53 AM

Search