Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Web Development | Re: [HTML] Frames question

AuthorMessageTime
GSX
I have a page set up in frames... Only issues being, is that one frame is larger than the page itself, and I want the page to stretch to fit the frame... I've googled about, and asked friends, and no anwers.

Any help would be appreciated.
October 6, 2006, 5:46 AM
rabbit
Don't use frames.  Use tables or divs (divs suck, use tables).
October 6, 2006, 10:54 AM
GSX
I would, but my site is entirely HTML (because I'm a retarded dumbass and I only know HTML and some VB6), and I have to update news frequently, and there's a shitload of pages (It's a flash animation/game site). So frames make it easy for me to keep the site organized and shit. I had it in tables before, but every time I added a link to the navigation bar, I'd have to go through like 30 pages and add it which was a pain in the ass. Sooo, switched it to frames, which caused this issue, and that's about it.

Any other suggestions on how I can fix this? I tried putting the frames INTO a table so I could set the table height and shit, buuutttt that didn't work, the table just went over the frames.
October 6, 2006, 5:21 PM
rabbit
Are you on Geocities or some retarded shit like that?
October 6, 2006, 9:11 PM
GSX
Nope, my friend is hosting me. Not some gay free host bs.

PS - Here's the source of my index.html page with the frames... It's not the cleanest, but I'm pretty sure you can get the idea...

[code]<! #index.html >
<TITLE>151</TITLE>
<HTML>

<frameset cols="13%,*">
<frame name="frmLeftNull" src="null.html" noresize scrolling="auto" frameborder="no" bordercolor="#050000">
<frameset cols="84%,*">
<frameset rows="19%,*">
<frame name="frmBanner" src="banner.html" noresize scrolling="auto" frameborder="no" bordercolor="#050000">
<frameset cols="19%,*">
<frame name="frmNav" src="nav.html" noresize scrolling="auto" frameborder="no" bordercolor="#050000">
<frame name="frmMain" src="news.html" noresize scrolling="no" frameborder="no" bordercolor="#050000">
</frameset>
</frameset>
<frame name="frmRightNull" src="null2.html" noresize scrolling="auto" frameborder="no" bordercolor="#050000">
</frameset>
</frameset>

</HTML>
[/code]

I don't want scrolling in my news section, nor in any other, I just left them in auto because the page isn't done yet... I just want it to expand the browser window so that the ENTIRE page is visible. (As of now, it only shows about half of frmMain's content, which is a problem.)
October 7, 2006, 4:50 PM
rabbit
Tables and PHP (all you'll need is include()).  Way easier.
October 7, 2006, 9:37 PM
GSX
All right, I'll give that a go. Thanks.
October 8, 2006, 7:11 AM
KoRRuPT
[quote author=rabbit link=topic=15828.msg159489#msg159489 date=1160132056]
Don't use frames.  Use tables or divs (divs suck, use tables).
[/quote]

*laugh* tables are trash, divs > tables.
October 9, 2006, 1:07 AM
Scope
I find div's more effecient because you can implement CSS into them. Thats how most of the CMS websites use their systems, unless it has a pre-defined Module code that does all the work for you.
November 1, 2006, 4:32 PM
rabbit
CSS goes into anything.  And of 3 large CMS I've written, I've always used table over div, and then span for specific bits.
November 1, 2006, 9:49 PM
Mitosis
Divs are meant for page layout, not tables. Instead of saying divs suck, Rabbit, you should probably look into how to write a website that follows semantics. Sure tables work, but they are not intended to create layouts, but display tabular data. http://www.cameronmoll.com/ has some great articles that may interest you.
November 5, 2006, 3:31 AM
rabbit
I can create an XHTML page which is W3 compliance using tables and spans, and no divs.  So what's the problem?
November 5, 2006, 12:37 PM
FrOzeN
[quote author=rabbit link=topic=15828.msg160770#msg160770 date=1162730231]
I can create an XHTML page which is W3 compliance using tables and spans, and no divs.  So what's the problem?
[/quote]
http://webdesign.about.com/od/layout/a/aa111102a.htm
http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,86595.0.html

Overall, divs are much more flexible, and require less coding.
November 5, 2006, 1:43 PM
Mitosis
Your page may be valid, but it doesn't necessarily mean it fllows semantics.
November 5, 2006, 4:43 PM
KoRRuPT
[quote author=rabbit link=topic=15828.msg160413#msg160413 date=1162417757]
CSS goes into anything.  And of 3 large CMS I've written, I've always used table over div, and then span for specific bits.
[/quote]

No, CSS goes better into divs and gives you much more flexibility.

[quote author=rabbit link=topic=15828.msg160770#msg160770 date=1162730231]
[/quote]

Neat. I can create that exact XHTML valid page in ~70% less characters.

You do realize that your page would be composed of ~80% useless table code, ~10% other random code and ~10% content, which is terrible for SEO (Search engine optimization). Your website traffic will decrease by at least 50% by discouraging the crawlers with your messy useless code.

I think you should get out of the 90's web development world and update your coding methods.
November 5, 2006, 7:04 PM
indulgence
Just so long as no one uses a damned "Wrapper" div on the global level - ill be happy.  If you are trying to center content... style the HTML and BODY elements. kthx
November 16, 2006, 5:47 PM
Invert
Rabbit, you are wrong so stop giving people bad advice. Tables are meant for displaying tabular data and not for layout design.
November 16, 2006, 5:56 PM
Ersan
Yeah I get made fun of quite often because I'm in the habit of writing html to pre-css standards :(

Use div's if you don't want to get ridiculed like me.
November 22, 2006, 11:17 AM
JoeTheOdd
[quote author=Akamas link=topic=15828.msg160792#msg160792 date=1162753474]
I think you should get out of the 90's web development world and update your coding methods.
[/quote]

HTML traditional was much easier, bitched a lot less, and did everything I ever wanted it to do. I still use it to this day when I write HTML.
November 25, 2006, 2:58 AM

Search