Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Computer Support Issues | Re: Noisy Power Supply Fan Concerns

AuthorMessageTime
KrewL RaiN
Think its time to look into this. A year ago I started to hear a noisey fan in this old dell comp of mine. It gradualy became a steady noise. Right now, the noise picks up then fades completly randomly.

Just wondering if this nosey fan is a threat in anyway, as in the fan may be dying on me and if fan dies is that ummm "uh oh" lol

The crappy thing with dell is its riggery. I have a 400 watt power supply sitting around that came with this case (friends say power supplys that come with cases = ick) and it wont work cause of this: http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std/sku=dellconverter Picture there is what the connection looks like on this PC

As I await for that video card return for my new pc the though of fixing this kinda slips my mind, but I would still like this old PC operational anyhow its still good for somthings hehe.

Anyone know were I can grab dell parts for cheep or get that adapter thingy shown in the link (canadian sites plz if you know, exhange rates can be a pain. That link may be ok to order from, just checking with other peoples optinions before desiding anything just to be safe).

Thanks for your time

EDIT: lol dumb me, this power supply does have that connection, but it never worked to begin with when my dad tryed it out
September 21, 2006, 4:05 AM
Topaz
A loud fan is often a good sign of your PSU beginning to fail.
September 21, 2006, 6:26 AM
RealityRipple
It's also a sign of dust...
September 21, 2006, 6:47 AM
KrewL RaiN
[quote author=RealityRipple link=topic=15755.msg158555#msg158555 date=1158821245]
It's also a sign of dust...
[/quote]

That could be it. Should dust this thing way more often, been holding off on it. If its still loud after a good dusting then I need to look into a new power supply, the hard part is finding the same model since this pc is old and that its a dell.

EDIT: Dusted it all out, and the noise remains. Guess I have been lucky on how this PSU hasnt died on me yet.
September 21, 2006, 4:28 PM
Topaz
You should replace it as soon as possible, your components can be damaged [badly] when the PSU shorts, has unstable voltage, or dies.
September 21, 2006, 10:06 PM
RealityRipple
If you have a prober program that can look at voltages, you may wanna make sure they're in reasonable ranges right now. 1 volt too high or too low is usually bad. As for replacing a Dell PSU... if it's still under warranty, they'll send you a free one ususally. Otherwise, you can probably find one online somewhere (make SURE it's guarunteed good, though). If it's not proprietary (rare in Dells), try Newegg.com
September 21, 2006, 11:35 PM
Topaz
Go Antec if you can - their PSU's are the best.
September 22, 2006, 12:02 AM
RealityRipple
I have a nice Aspire that's been treating me well. 3 internal fans, blue lights, fan speed control, 520 watts. Enough to run 9 case fans, a cd-rw drive, a dvd+/-rw drive, a cup holder (modified cd drive), 5 1/4 floppy, 3 1/2 floppy, zip 100, and 120 gig hard drive. Ph34r t3h p0w3r!
September 22, 2006, 12:25 AM
Newby
You should wait until you smell smoke, then wait a bit more until it actually catches on fire. Like me.
September 22, 2006, 3:55 AM
RealityRipple
OOO... that reminds me of a great newspaper article from a long time ago... http://realityripple.com/Uploads/smoke.jpg
September 22, 2006, 4:02 AM
KrewL RaiN
[quote author=RealityRipple link=topic=15755.msg158581#msg158581 date=1158881725]
If you have a prober program that can look at voltages, you may wanna make sure they're in reasonable ranges right now. 1 volt too high or too low is usually bad. As for replacing a Dell PSU... if it's still under warranty, they'll send you a free one ususally. Otherwise, you can probably find one online somewhere (make SURE it's guarunteed good, though). If it's not proprietary (rare in Dells), try Newegg.com
[/quote]

Newegg doesnt ship to Canada unfortunatly. I emailed my dad to see if any werehouses in kitchener waterloo have the part I want. The part is a dell PS-5201-7D and from some sites they range from about 35 dollarish. I have to wait till my money comes in to order the video card for my new system so I have been really pushing my luck here with mr dell PSU lol. This pc is like estimated at about 5+ years old so I think the warinty be poofed. (specs of this system is a P3 930 mhz with 512 ram and 40 gig HD.) Since this noise started like a year ago, the PC gods must like me for keeping its from blowing up xD

The fan is a bit more quiet with the dusting, but I have been still pushing my luck. I'll look into a "prober" program

[quote author=Newby]You should wait until you smell smoke, then wait a bit more until it actually catches on fire. Like me.[/quote]

[me=KrewL RaiN]gets the smores ready[/me]
September 22, 2006, 7:03 AM
inner.
[quote author=Newby link=topic=15755.msg158634#msg158634 date=1158897330]
You should wait until you smell smoke, then wait a bit more until it actually catches on fire. Like me.
[/quote]
I didn't go that far, I only waited till I smelt smoke ;)
September 24, 2006, 11:12 PM

Search